Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DsmkIII The truth  (Read 16170 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 03:59:09 am »

My problem is the camera does not really excite me much. What I have really got an itch to do is shoot with a 12 1/2 inch 1940's Portrait lens I have just bought, I have been putting a 5x7 kit together and just waiting for the final piece of the jigsaw to arrive from Germany. That's all for fun, the Canon is work, I have at least read the Canon manual a couple of times now. It will most likely be Monday before I get a chance to shoot with it. Now if the 5x7 bits turn up today, that will be my weekend sorted.

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196216\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What I will say about it so far is what a fantastic viewfinder, it's almost like looking through a MF 645, I can't believe more has not been said about it.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 06:23:26 am »

What I will say about it so far is what a fantastic viewfinder, it's almost like looking through a MF 645, I can't believe more has not been said about it.

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196217\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agreed - a very understated benefit of the 1DS MKIII is its viewfinder.

Everytime I look through mine it makes me smile. In fact, you quickly get used to how good it is - this afternoon I used my 5D for the first time in ages and did a double take on looking through the view finder. It was like 'Who turned out the lights!'  
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Andy M

• http://
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 06:54:11 am »

Agreed - a very understated benefit of the 1DS MKIII is its viewfinder.

Everytime I look through mine it makes me smile. In fact, you quickly get used to how good it is - this afternoon I used my 5D for the first time in ages and did a double take on looking through the view finder. It was like 'Who turned out the lights!' 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196223\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now try looking through a crop body!

With my 1Ds being repaired, I've been using a 400D just for fun.

I don't know how people can use them full time!  

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 07:01:48 am »

Bought mine in December in London (early example I guess serial 602xxx), absolutely no issues with the camera. Luck? Don't know, but I have so enjoyed using this compared to previous cameras.
Pete Truman

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 08:31:53 pm »

Tried a few lenses out on my mk3 on Friday on infinity focus  to see how they went for landscape - the best of the bunch was a 50mm nikkor on a Novoflex adaptor! the Canon 50 macro was just a tad behind and a 105 mm nikkor and 100 canon macros were identical and both good.
My 85 1.2 is perfect on my Mk2 , but seems not quite as sharp as i would expect it to be at pixel peep levels on the mk3. after your post I will have a go at micro adjustment.
 I tried my 16 - 35 mk 1 out at 16mm f8, which is where I seem to use it far too much  for my own good ( but when you need wide - you really NEED wide), sharp centrally at infinity , acceptably sharp closer in  the corners, and then a weird area consistent on both sides, just off the frame edges of slight fuzziness which probably wouldn't be noticeable in a print so much, and wasn't quite so noticeable on a mk2 and probably is due to CA more than anything. I didn't try the 17-35 Nikkor I have , it might make an interesting comparison!

Having moaned on and on about having to go through eight 1Ds3 bodies to find one with a viewfinder that actually tells the truth about the where I'm pointing the camera, I've now put a few thousand frames on the clock.

I did have a focus issue with an 85 1.2 wide but rectified this with a +13 focus adjustment for that lens alone. Strangely, the same lens is perfect on my Mk2.

It could be this need for fine tuning of individual lenses that you are also experiencing.

I do own Canon zoom lenses but because I've found none of them to be reliably sharp right across there zoom range I avoid using them whenever possible. I have a 24-70 that's razor sharp at 70mm, like looking through a milkbottle bottom at 35mm then 'reasonable' at 24mm (It is, of course, in the eye of the beholder).

Zoom optical technology has moved on tremendously, but the glass and mechanics have to work so much harder than in a prime. With a Mk3 sensor pushing glass as far as it will go it seems to make sense to give the glass a fighting chance! A mechanical error in a lens is no longer measured in a fraction of a millimeter but a wavelength of light.

Out of interest, like so many Canon users I've found even their 'L' series wide angle prime lenses to be woefully lacking. I recently grabbed a Zeiss 21mm and I'm simply staggered by the clarity, colour and complete lack of chromatic abberation - right into the corners. Oh, and of course no more bendy lines either! Well done Zeiss of old - wake up Canon of present!

Apologies for going on a bit, sat here with a coffee waiting for the light outside to improve!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196060\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 09:36:37 pm »

I've found my 16-35 MarkII rather impressive at the wide end on the 1DS3 and not so impressive at the 35mm end.  It's certainly no Zeiss 21mm but when stopped down to f8 shows very little CA compared to other wide angle Canon lenses if have used. I have been making some stunning prints with this lens on Iford Gold Fibre Silk.

I must admit though I am rather excited about other lens manufactures recently bringing out new sharp lenses to the market. Hopefully this will encourage Canon to do the same.

Dave

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 12:24:26 am »

I sent mine in (beginning of Jan) for the VF alignment, then had to send it back because they killed the AF fixing the VF. But it's all well now and I love this camera attached to my converted Contax N lenses. I just did the firmware update which adds (fixes?) some nice extensions I think should have been there to start with in the multi-controller. It's a good sign they're wising up, no doubt thanks to the D3 .

I need to add, not only the excellent VF but I love the Info mode of the back display. Everything you need to know and change in big letters even the aging blind like me can see. Ergonomically overall it's a big improvement. Oh yeah, and the battery information and batteries themselves.

I do find the diopter adjustment not as handy as the Mk II's, and also the lack of silent mode with self-timer, unlike the Mk II again. But that's a small price to pay for the rest.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 12:30:55 am by djgarcia »
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 04:43:46 am »

I tested my 16-35, 24-70, and 70-200L lenses with the moire pattern shooting into a LCD and using live view. All lenses were -0-. I even tested the 70-200 w/1.4 extender--dead on. No adjustment needed. I got my DS3 about three weeks ago. Serial number is:

I think I'm glad I waited, actually.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:45:50 am by dwdallam »

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 01:04:58 pm »

I tested my 16-35, 24-70, and 70-200L lenses with the moire pattern shooting into a LCD and using live view. All lenses were -0-. I even tested the 70-200 w/1.4 extender--dead on. No adjustment needed. I got my DS3 about three weeks ago. Serial number is:

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196730\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I shot a few images yesterday to make shure it works ok before shooting on a job tomorrow.
I processed in Aperture, I am very impressed with the amount I can use recovery and highlight recovery without the image breaking up into something ugly, the images also looked sharper to me than the mkII, I've turned edge sharpening down a few notches for my default. I'm warming to this camera bit by bit.
Tomorrow will be the first pro job test weather permitting.

Kevin.
Kevin.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 01:06:24 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196730\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I shot a few images yesterday to make shure it works ok before shooting on a job tomorrow.
I processed in Aperture, I am very impressed with the amount I can use recovery and highlight recovery without the image breaking up into something ugly, the images also looked sharper to me than the mkII, I've turned edge sharpening down a few notches for my default. I'm warming to this camera bit by bit.

Kevin.
Kevin.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 01:07:25 pm »

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196807\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the "s" mkII

Kevin.
Kevin.

dwdallam

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 02:32:39 am »

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196806\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Turned edge sharpening down where?

Andy M

• http://
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 03:21:35 am »

One week on, mine is still being repaired  

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 03:37:35 am »

Turned edge sharpening down where?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196954\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In Aperture.
Aperture has a very good edge sharpening tool. I set up a number of presets and apply to images. For the smkIII I have made a set that is less strong than for the smkII.

Kevin.
Kevin.

dwdallam

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 05:08:27 am »

In Aperture.
Aperture has a very good edge sharpening tool. I set up a number of presets and apply to images. For the smkIII I have made a set that is less strong than for the smkII.

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196963\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

heh, I was thinking I must have missed some Custom Function in the MKIII. Thanks.

Big Bird

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 06:09:27 pm »

Got mine a few weeks ago, 7,000 + frames on it. I haven't found any need to adjust lenses yet, I suppose I should set a proper test and at least check, but I haven't had the time or seen the need yet.
I compared some colour and resolution tests to my 5D. Colour was better as was the resolution(expected).
The overall handling, AF and VF is so far ahead of the 5D, that I suspect I will be selling the 5D shortly.
In good light, the files are fabulous, in dull light, you really don't get the potential out of the camera(true for 5D as well).
Noise levels on the 5D at 1600 are better though. All in all a really great camera, if a couple grand too costly.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 09:29:46 pm »

I ordered my Canon 1Ds Mark III today online. I've been using my 40D since selling my 1Ds Mark II about 7 months ago.

Any experience using the Canon TS 24mm lens on the 1dsMkIII?

Bud James
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2008, 06:29:59 pm »

AF has been fine, though, I don't shoot AI-Servo.  The latest firmware update which enable focus point selection via the thumb-stick was a big improvement.  Using the dials stunk.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2008, 07:15:35 am »

AF has been fine, though, I don't shoot AI-Servo.  The latest firmware update which enable focus point selection via the thumb-stick was a big improvement.  Using the dials stunk.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197320\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Shot my first job with it on Wednesday.
I need to make shure I have not got rose coloured glasses on, being a new camera I can start seeing WOW in the images. Right now I'm thinking I can see more robust natural colour with an increased ability to recover highlight detail and more detail given more separation  to objects so more depth. As I say it might be Rose coloured glasses syndrome.

Kevin.
Kevin.

dwdallam

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2008, 01:58:15 am »

Shot my first job with it on Wednesday.
I need to make shure I have not got rose coloured glasses on, being a new camera I can start seeing WOW in the images. Right now I'm thinking I can see more robust natural colour with an increased ability to recover highlight detail and more detail given more separation  to objects so more depth. As I say it might be Rose coloured glasses syndrome.

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197423\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think I agree, but it's most likely due to the bit depth being greater than any camera Canon has yet made, being the result of the new processors working the 14bit files. I haven't had a chance to really work this camera out yet, much less print anything, but I am going to try soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up