Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: xml file with Simpleviewer Lightroom Website  (Read 3744 times)

MoreThanWords

xml file with Simpleviewer Lightroom Website
« on: May 14, 2008, 03:30:10 pm »

Hello, I have the following problem with the web module of lightroom (the trial version, but it is up to date):

When I want to make a Simpleviewer web gallery from selected photos and export the files to a selected folder, everything works perfectly and I am able to put the folder with the index.html, the gallery.xml file and the jpgs on my website to be viewed. However, when I want to edit the xml file, and I open it in either dreamweaver or word, I get a bunch of chinese looking text that runs from side to side, so completely unreadable. I've tried changing the font of the text, but that does not work...

Anybody knows what might be the problem? It's the English version of Lightroom, version 1.4.

I've tried to open the xml file on both my desktop and my laptop and both have the same problem... So it works, but I'm unable to make any changes to it after it has been created.

See the attached screenshot gallery.jpg

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 05:17:36 pm by MoreThanWords »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 04:40:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's because LR spews out UTF-16 encoded XML on Windows rather than UTF-8 on Mac. try a few other programs to edit the text - I used Word 2007 - and swap the 16 for an 8. Save as a text file, not Word etc. Then reopen in Dreamweaver.

John

MoreThanWords

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 05:16:38 pm »

Thanks John. I opened it in Notepad, saved it as Unicode and was then able to open it in Dreamweaver. Still I think it's strange that one Adobe application cooks up a file that is unreadable by another Adobe application... Do you think there's a way to solve this or will I always have to take the Notepad detour?

Thanks again!

I'm pretty sure that's because LR spews out UTF-16 encoded XML on Windows rather than UTF-8 on Mac. try a few other programs to edit the text - I used Word 2007 - and swap the 16 for an 8. Save as a text file, not Word etc. Then reopen in Dreamweaver.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195780\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 05:19:25 pm »

It's a cock up. Not sure how it arose, whether it's the xml component they're using or a bug. I'd be surprised if it changed soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up