Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mamiya?  (Read 5998 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
New Mamiya?
« on: May 14, 2008, 02:07:04 pm »

Is the new Mamiya out now? It's decision time for me, wether to go MF or stick with Canon. The specs on the Mamiya mkIII look to fit the bill, I called a dealer today I don't think he had heard of a mkIII.

Kevin.
Kevin.

yaya

New Mamiya?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 02:19:39 pm »

Is the new Mamiya out now? It's decision time for me, wether to go MF or stick with Canon. The specs on the Mamiya mkIII look to fit the bill, I called a dealer today I don't think he had heard of a mkIII.

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195750\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

First demo units are being delivered these days. I would estimate 6-8 weeks before stock is available.

Looking forward!

Yair

Snook

New Mamiya?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 03:20:49 pm »

First demo units are being delivered these days. I would estimate 6-8 weeks before stock is available.

Looking forward!

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195753\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Was it ever verified what sync speed the New Mamiya will have with Flash?
Thanks for any further info..
Snook

Josef Isayo

New Mamiya?
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 03:24:34 pm »

Looking forward!

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195753\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It there much information on the speed and low light capabilities of the AF and how it compares with the Hassy H and the new very impressive Rollei/Sinar HY6 cameras?

yaya

New Mamiya?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 03:29:51 pm »

Was it ever verified what sync speed the New Mamiya will have with Flash?
Thanks for any further info..
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195763\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1/125 sec

yaya

New Mamiya?
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 03:36:35 pm »

It there much information on the speed and low light capabilities of the AF and how it compares with the Hassy H and the new very impressive Rollei/Sinar HY6 cameras?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195764\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not as quick since the motor is in the body and not in the lens. Regarding low light I won't comment until I have tested it myself which I'm hoping to do soon...

woof75

New Mamiya?
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:46:04 pm »

Not as quick since the motor is in the body and not in the lens. Regarding low light I won't comment until I have tested it myself which I'm hoping to do soon...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195770\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why does not having a motor in the lens make it not as quick?

Snook

New Mamiya?
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 04:27:45 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195772\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
They Made the same mistake twice...?
125/th
Jeeeeez
Hope they get those Leafshutter lens out asap...:+{
Snook

yaya

New Mamiya?
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 06:51:53 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195772\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Non-direct drive and a bit more freeplay between the moving parts.

The differences aren't huge but they're definitely there. The plus side is that the lenses are small, light and cheap (all relative of course).

I will report back as soon as we've got some test results with an Aptus back on the AFDIII.

For me personally the biggest issue was always the shutter lag and even if that alone has been fixed then the new camera can present a very capable solution.

Yair

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
New Mamiya?
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 08:57:19 pm »

They Made the same mistake twice...?
125/th
Jeeeeez
Hope they get those Leafshutter lens out asap...:+{
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195778\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Snook
I can't see how they could make a FP shutter faster than 1/125th? I talked to the Phase dealer here & there should be leaf shutter lenses coming later this year. And I got no indication if they will be made in Europe or Japan. At least the new body is ready for these lenses when they come available.
The last stats I heard is that there are 4500 MF cameras sold world wide, not a very big market. I would think that Hasselblad would have over a 50 share of that. At least Mamiya is moving forward & with the help of Phase One things should improve. I have noticed that the number Mamiya items (eBay) is down from a few years ago. In some cases the price of the used glass has gone up. It is still an affordable & open system.
Denis
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:08:11 pm by mcfoto »
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

woof75

New Mamiya?
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 09:58:14 pm »

Non-direct drive and a bit more freeplay between the moving parts.

The differences aren't huge but they're definitely there. The plus side is that the lenses are small, light and cheap (all relative of course).

I will report back as soon as we've got some test results with an Aptus back on the AFDIII.

For me personally the biggest issue was always the shutter lag and even if that alone has been fixed then the new camera can present a very capable solution.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195795\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So you may be recommending a competitors camera over your own brand?

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
New Mamiya?
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 10:41:03 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195813\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not to speak for Yair, but I don't think he's recommending anything except the brand of his own companies particular digital back.

leaf and Mamiya had a relationship for a long time and up until the HY6 either on MAC's site or Leaf, there were deals for buying a mamiya body and a Leaf back.

In fact I have the impression, (and this is just a guess, no hard facts) that all of the digital back makers, except for Hasselblad, would have been quite content just selling  backs for the H-1/2 series,  Mamiya with the occasional Contax and V mount.

Really, that pretty much sums up medium format cameras, the H series which going forward is pretty much Hasselblad proprietary, the Hy6 which so far is Leaf and Sinar only and the Mamiya/Phase which is considered an open platform.

I'm sure all the manufacturer's would be almost as happy selling you a back for any brand.

Somewhere down the line, (and this also is just a guess) all the db makers will have to decide to make a single integrated camera/back, or continue to go the route of a lot of backs for a ever decreasing number of medium format cameras.

I recently saw a survey from Hasselblad, asking about the preferences and state of the professional photography industry.  One strong point was mention of price in relationship to a declining economy, the other question was about convergence of camera and digital device.

I can understand the economic question, but as far as convergence, I would think that Hasselblad asking that question is kind of like locking the barn door after the horse has left.

Going forward you have to wonder what's next for digital backs?   Faster shooting, easier software, lower prices, or maybe even higher more exclusive prices.

Personally, I think the digital back makers strong suit is in their ability to tether on set.  They don't seem to make that strong a point on the respective websites ofHasseblad, Sinar, Leaf and Phase as they feature cameras first, backs somewhat secondary and rarely highlight any scenario where the back is hooked to the computer.

This kind of surprises me as tethering is these cameras strongest part of the market I believe they sell to and I think all the db makers breathed a deep sigh of relief when Canon went to usb 2 tethering.

Maybe one or all of them will surpise us with a camera/back that works with a multiple viewer capability like tethering, but not in the traditional camera hard wired to computer sceanrio we have now.

It's interesting that the only real different camera back I've seen is the megavision, the one that is mated to that little computer.   I don't know how well it works, don't know actually if it works at all but how cool would that be to have that size of a screen, (if it was a high rez) and embedded in the software were film type settings . . . Paulo Roversi Polaroid, Shelia Metzler Grain, Platon distortion, Dan Winters Blue and Nadiv Kander Green.  

JR
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:48:26 am by James R Russell »

yaya

New Mamiya?
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 03:41:09 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195813\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why not? If someone is after a capable entry level camera to put her/his Leaf back on, then why not the AFDIII?

I've been using the AFD/ AFDII in my demo kit for nearly 5 years now (used Contax before that) and have grown to like it. Each camera has its pros and cons and the Mamiya in my view is a very good product.

As James mentioned, Mamiya and Leaf have a long and strong relationship and in fact many of our WW distributors are also the Mamiya distributors in their countries so it is only natural that we care about each other's business.

Hope this clarifies

Yair

woof75

New Mamiya?
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 07:53:51 am »

Why not? If someone is after a capable entry level camera to put her/his Leaf back on, then why not the AFDIII?

I've been using the AFD/ AFDII in my demo kit for nearly 5 years now (used Contax before that) and have grown to like it. Each camera has its pros and cons and the Mamiya in my view is a very good product.

As James mentioned, Mamiya and Leaf have a long and strong relationship and in fact many of our WW distributors are also the Mamiya distributors in their countries so it is only natural that we care about each other's business.

Hope this clarifies

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195850\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sure, I love the Mamiya 645 afd (well, love is maybe too strong a word, lets say I prefer it to the others and I find it only mildly unpleasant to work with). I'm just surprised that someone who now makes cameras is recommending someone else's cameras as well as there own. I guess they are at a different price point. Contax never recommended Mamiya.

yaya

New Mamiya?
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 08:03:11 am »

Sure, I love the Mamiya 645 afd (well, love is maybe too strong a word, lets say I prefer it to the others and I find it only mildly unpleasant to work with). I'm just surprised that someone who now makes cameras is recommending someone else's cameras as well as there own. I guess they are at a different price point. Contax never recommended Mamiya.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195872\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Contax was never making nor selling digital backs...

We make and sell digital backs and we're happy for them to go onto any available camera.

Yair

godtfred

• http://
New Mamiya?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 09:20:18 am »

Misunderstood....  
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 05:23:10 am by godtfred »
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

yaya

New Mamiya?
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 01:13:37 pm »

I thought this was because of the shutter design, leafshutter vs. curtain...

The leaf shutter does not have a second curtain to close the shutter, and can thus use a much higher speed as it will allow light to pass through without blocking any part of the frame from the microsecond it starts to open. The curtan type creates an opening that at higher speeds travel across the frame and the flash will then only be evident in the area where the opening is at the relevant time of syncronisation. At 1/125 the shutter of the mamiya is fully open for a split-second before the second curtain starts to close, and is thus the fastest speed it will function at without blackening out a part of the frame.

The help shutter found in H-series cameras and the like, opens a little before the main leaf shutter and can be allowed to fully open before the flash/main shutter is triggered. Therefore it does not block the passage of light. This may cause delays with a little time wasted between pressing the shutter button and the opening of the main shutter.

Jeez, someone technical write this up in an easier to understand way, I'm way out with terminology and all the rest on this one...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195885\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am guessing that you are referring to the shutter lag that I mentioned?

The lag on the AFD and AFDII does not occur with a film back only with digital backs and it is a protocol issue. This is supposed to be addressed in the III and I hope it has been...

Yair

godtfred

• http://
New Mamiya?
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 05:24:27 am »

I am guessing that you are referring to the shutter lag that I mentioned?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195937\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry yaya, I mixed up your posts on AF motor and flash sync, but understand now.... deleted my own to remove confusion...
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+
Pages: [1]   Go Up