Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with strange printer marks on Z3100 prints...  (Read 2318 times)

MoreThanWords

Help with strange printer marks on Z3100 prints...
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:24:45 am »

Hello,

All of a sudden, I have this problem with printing to Ilford Gold Fibre Silk. I had a print job of 4 pages, the first went fine, then the printer told me the Gloss Enhancer Cartridge needed a change, which I did, and then the following print came out with these strange marks on it. Don't know if it's got anything to do with the paper or with the recent cartridge swap.
The paper type is set correctly (according to the profile I got from Ilfords website).
Attached you find a scan of the problem. Could not find anything similar in the manual.

Please see attached pic. Anyone recognize this problem and more importantly, can suggest a solution?

Thanks for helping out.

P.S. It's the red outlined area (the other dust & scratches are just some dirt on my scanner bed, I guess :-) )

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:54:03 am »

Those are head strikes from the paper buckling as it gets it's ink load.  You may want to try other paper settings to lower the amount of ink laid down.  I have run into this with other papers, but have not tried the Ilford to advise you on which particular settings work best.  I'm sure that others here have and can offer additional guidance.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:08:28 pm »

Yep. Typical head strikes. Make sure the paper preset you are using commands a "high" head height first and foremost. I've had more trouble in warm & humid weather than dry.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:32:36 pm »

It will be worse on an image like this with such a heavy inkload as it's so dark.  Is this the 1st time you've printed this image?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 08:35:53 pm »

By the way I think Michael R has mentioned this and asked HP if they have a solution.

Any update Michael?  I'd like to try this paper myself.

rwheat

• http://www.westernlandscapes.com.au
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 10:31:46 pm »

I have not had any problems since setting the paper thickness to thick in the color centre printing properties (I did get head strikes at first).

One point of interest, my sheet stock is definitely heavier (thicker) than my roll stock.  Anyone know the story on this, or is it just available in different weights.  I have only ever had head strikes on the sheet stock.

Richard.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 01:54:44 am »

That is a head strike. I don't think it is a question of over inking but one of the paper curl , maybe assisted by the amount of dark ink.

One idea is to reduce the inking in the driver one notch, the other might be print with maximum detail and maximum number (more) passes to slow the printer down.

Someone posted an excellent idea here on flattening papers for which the technique came from putting the media in a ziplock bag, in the freezer, then allowing them thaw where they would be flatted by weight of some heavy objects while flattening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up