Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 4.1 Released  (Read 9268 times)

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
Capture One 4.1 Released
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:11:21 am »

Capture One 4.1 was just released today.  I had posted this in on another part of LL, but wanted to make sure all the MFDB users knew about it.  Here is the link to download it:

http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO4.aspx

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Snook

Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:09:04 am »

Capture One 4.1 was just released today.  I had posted this in on another part of LL, but wanted to make sure all the MFDB users knew about it.  Here is the link to download it:

http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO4.aspx

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195690\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Who cares... where is the PRO!!!
Just kidding I do care but where the heck is PRO for shooting tethered..
Phase One is really one of the most frustrating companies!!
They are WAY behind on a release!
Snook

woof75

Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:39:57 am »

Initial thoughts (quick eh!)

1) first problem, preview doesn't look the same as when opened in photoshop, any ideas why?

2) I compared it to Lightroom conversions of a P21 file and it seems after looking at a couple of images quality of conversions is really good. There's a pleasant almost grain to the conversions whereas lightroom smears things a little (no extra noise reduction applied).
Sharper than lightroom, you can make a lightoom image appear sharp with extra unsharp mask but you can't get real sharpness back.
Less artifacts than lightroom, I used the lens preset thing which got rid of almost all CA which I couldn't do with lightrooms ca controls.
Less jaggies.

BUT. controls are so far behind lightroom, lightroom allows so much more finesse of individual colours.
So, you pays your money and you makes your choice.
Both good, both different.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:44:58 am »

Newsflash - C1 4 Pro announced! Users of Lightroom5 and Aperture4 expressd moderate interest.

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

TMARK

Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:48:27 am »

Snook,

It looks like you can tether a Phase back with 4.1.

A questions:  On a Mac, how do you de-install 4?

Thanks.

TMARK

Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 12:54:31 pm »

Thanks John.  I thought I could just save 4.1 over 4 but I foolishly read the release notes that said to uninstall 4 first.

C1 4 crashes on me once a day.  It does so when I have made a change to an image or hit Process and then I quickly select the next image with the mouse.  I start C1 4 up again and the changes are saved, but its disconcerting.

I hope they implement a lens correction tool that fixes pinsushion and barrel distortion.  Maybe in C1 4.2 Pro?

clawery

Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 01:11:04 pm »

I'm currently at a Phase One dealer meeting in Chicago. I hope to get a good idea of when C1 4 Pro will be released.

Chris Lawery
Capture Integration
(404)234-5195

woof75

Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 03:25:12 pm »

Does anyone know why the preview colour doesn't match the exported image?

palmerson

Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 03:47:45 pm »

I'm currently at a Phase One dealer meeting in Chicago. I hope to get a good idea of when C1 4 Pro will be released.

Chris Lawery
Capture Integration
(404)234-5195
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195739\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was told at photokina... which means late summer.

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 04:25:36 pm »

C1 4.1 is just another amateur version of C1, basically something to toy with but not bring it to work, in my humble opinion. When they are ready to show us a PRO program as good as pre-C1 4 (or better) then we can talk. It seams then that it will be in late summer then. Good.

On the other side, I definitively am planning to test drive it (C1 4.1)... until It annoys me...

thanks

I was told at photokina... which means late summer.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195774\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:27:31 pm by Leonardo Barreto »
[font=Comic Sa

clawery

Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 06:48:57 pm »

Capture One 4.2 (Pro) should be released at Photokina.  I'll post more soon.  There are some cool new features.

Chris Lawery
Capture Integration

Jason F

Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 09:43:14 pm »

Capture One 4.2 (Pro) should be released at Photokina.  I'll post more soon.  There are some cool new features.

Chris Lawery

Yikes dude, we have to wait another 4+ months? Ugh.....

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 09:47:40 pm »

The list of problems with C1-4 is well known, but we can go back to it now that C1-4 PRO is near..

* Sessions - I think that they (Phase One) agree that Sessions as we know it is a desirable thing to have and that it will be back in C1-4 PRO, or I have the impression that it was what they said.
The way things are I don't know how to work in a non-sessions environment (I think I could find the way to do it, but what is the point? I rather wait for the PRO).

* The detail window - I have a fast computer at my studio, but in the field I have a slower portable. Focusing a smaller window --or a larger one if desired -- gives the photographer an option. Also you can have the small focus check window floating while adjusting things like curves, levels etc. I have no idea why they changed this. If this is the same (as C 1 4x) then it is big step backward.

* Icons to "show in finder" I want this back. Not so important since there are other ways to do it, but ...

* Text that is black (or grey) over black (or grey) background cannot be read. Pleas don't play games with photographers that have tired old eyes and are stressed for a million other reasons. It is not an imaginary problem, form should never intervene in the function of the machine.

* there are a lot of good features in C 1 4, like the way you copy and past attributes from one image to the next, that is good. Or how you can easily open several image for comparison.

* I want to see the lens correction program, that is positive too.

They are going to have their 15 minutes of attention when the release the program, if they refuse to listen to the users, there is an increasing line up of new raw converters getting better out there.... so, the ball is in Phase Ones side...

Capture One 4.2 (Pro) should be released at Photokina.  I'll post more soon.  There are some cool new features.

Chris Lawery
Capture Integration
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195794\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[font=Comic Sa

TMARK

Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 01:30:06 am »

What is the lens correction in C1 4.1 doing?  I tried the 45mm preset on a 45mm file and it seemed to sharpen it up without applying any usm type sharpening.  How does it actually work?

Anyone?  Bueller?

Chris Livsey

Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 01:55:16 am »

Snook,

A questions:  On a Mac, how do you de-install 4?

Thanks.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Support/Article.aspx?articleid=1164&LanguageID=1&layoutid=SupportSite%20-%20Main]http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Suppo...Site%20-%20Main[/url]

Best
ChrisL

amsp

Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 05:00:05 am »

For over a year now I've been using ACR instead of C1, the only exceptions have been when I'm shooting tethered and when developing iso800 files. So naturally the first thing I did with 4.1 was run an iso800 through it, and I must say I'm horrified, it does a terrible job. 3.8 is much, MUCH better. How disappointing.  

EDIT: Ok, after playing around with it some more I got decent results, so "terrible" might be too harsh a word, but it does seem to smudge detail more than 3.8 to get the same results.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:52:48 am by amsp »

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 09:55:48 am »

For over a year now I've been using ACR instead of C1, the only exceptions have been when I'm shooting tethered and when developing iso800 files. So naturally the first thing I did with 4.1 was run an iso800 through it, and I must say I'm horrified, it does a terrible job. 3.8 is much, MUCH better. How disappointing. 

EDIT: Ok, after playing around with it some more I got decent results, so "terrible" might be too harsh a word, but it does seem to smudge detail more than 3.8 to get the same results.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I personally like the looks of V4 processing, especially in skin tones though I also find the noise reduction sliders to be very, very, very sensitive.  

For the p21 at 800 iso it adds way too much luminance softness and makes it painterly, though if you dial it back it is as good if not better than 3.78

Not that I shoot or tether much at 800 iso, but the downside of 3.78 at higher iso is it's window previews as they do not apply much noise reduction so the file really looks awful until processed, which V4 seems to address.

Everything else I love about 3.78 (though it was a labor of love to learn the interface), but it's stability and ease of use in large multiple productions was worth it.

I'm hoping that when version 4.2 (what a silly name why not just name it V5 or just pro?) is released it's stable as that's more important on set than any other feature.

JR

woof75

Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 10:38:20 am »

What are you guys thinking of image quality, for me when processing P21 files at ISO200 it's quite a step above Lightroom, it's just not as controllable.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Capture One 4.1 Released
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 10:53:11 am »

What are you guys thinking of image quality, for me when processing P21 files at ISO200 it's quite a step above Lightroom, it's just not as controllable.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195903\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the color rendering is better than in lightroom and when opening shadows I see less or no ghosting around the edges, which I see a lot in lightroom.

I would like V4.whatever to have single color controls, like the orange, yellow, red, etc. of lightroom, though in lightroom orange is needed because everything I put in lightroom goes orange.

What I would love to see from any tethering/converting software is more of a modular process, like Leaf's old V8, where capture and viewing is just one process (which equates to fast and low power) and a second modual or software allows finish out work, ala lightroom, photoshop etc.

When you think about it, a lot of the work we do in photoshop could probably be done in the conversion process.  I think that was/is the plan of lightroom/aperture and mabe even v4, but they need a lot more controls, like layers, movable dodging, burning, etc.

In other words you shoot the standard shot and to present the way you want it to go, open the second function, pull down your look and and there you have it, though it's somethng you don't have to run full time.

This allows you to make your own special effects film look and though the processing power on doing this at every frame in capture would probably make the software slow, if it was a seperate software suite, that ported over easily from the capture suite, it would have a lot of usefullness.

I think one of the downsides to showing a digital capture is what we initially see on screen is not close to where we are going to take the image in post.

It would be nice to develope some presets, (not just color correction) but real different looks like 8x10 polaroid, effected desaturated color channels, burning/dodging, that with a simple pull down menu could show a client and say, see this is close to where it will be at finish.

Just a thought.

JR

P.S.  also Phase should bring the color editor back.  It was kind of clunky in the way it named a profile, but when needed it was glorious.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:01:19 am by James R Russell »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up