Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sepia settings on HP Z printers  (Read 1884 times)

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
sepia settings on HP Z printers
« on: May 14, 2008, 07:53:11 am »

hi,

I wonder if anyone has got any settings on the z3100 for 'sepia tone' effect as a starting point? I have the z2100 but I presume they will be the same?

Thanks, Ivan

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 09:27:58 am »

hi,

I wonder if anyone has got any settings on the z3100 for 'sepia tone' effect as a starting point? I have the z2100 but I presume they will be the same?

Thanks, Ivan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195662\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use the Z3100.  When I print a sepia tone I find I have greater control over the effect by doing it in Photoshop, softproofing, and printing as a color file with the Application Managing Color.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:50:20 am »

The interface is very good and the thought that went into it deserves a good look. The only problem is the lightness is not maintained so you have to do a lot of experimentation to get it right.
In the end Photoshop is much more consistent and easier in an ICC workflow.
The problem in Photoshop/colorize is the printer is going to replace your color in the deepest of shadows hence your intentions are nipped at the bud. They too are using GCR in the sepia adjust in the driver however the B&W info goes through a better LUT based grayscale printing than ICC provides.

In this case the ideal would be a good rip like ImagePrint as neither the driver , nor Photoshop are perfected targeted for colorizing and printing through the driver.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:22:16 am »

My best results have come following the workflow that Walter describes.  An alternative is when I do the toning in Lightroom, export the file and softproof/edit in CS3.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up