Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wish list for LR 2.0  (Read 12541 times)

The View

Wish list for LR 2.0
« on: May 13, 2008, 06:25:02 pm »

I'm starting with a small item:

I'd like to have symbols on the frame of an image in the library module...

... telling me which is the raw file, and which is the TIFF file from PS, so I can find my TIFFs and RAWs fast.

And an item in the filter menu to filter out the TIFFs from the RAWs.

I'd also like to be able to write a short comment on the frame of the image in the LR library module. 20 characters would be enough. Or maybe a button, that, when you click it, shows a note window, so you can jot down comments what to do.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

DavidB

• http://davidburren.com/
Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 07:04:57 pm »

I'd like to have symbols on the frame of an image in the library module...

... telling me which is the raw file, and which is the TIFF file from PS, so I can find my TIFFs and RAWs fast.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195578\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Are you talking about images shown in the grid view?  In both the extended and compact cells you can tell LR to display the File Extension.  Does that not solve your problem?
It's available in both LR 1.x and 2.0beta.

And an item in the filter menu to filter out the TIFFs from the RAWs.
Again in LR 1.x, it's not in the filters but you can do this by selecting the File Type in the Metadata Browser (down the bottom of the left panel).  Given that you've selected a folder, All Photographs, or a collection to see the files in the first place, if you Command-click (control-click on Windows) the relevant file types you should get what you're after.
In LR 2.0beta, File Type is available as a column in the custom filters at the top of the screen.

I'd also like to be able to write a short comment on the frame of the image in the LR library module. 20 characters would be enough. Or maybe a button, that, when you click it, shows a note window, so you can jot down comments what to do.
Have you thought about using the Instructions field in the metadata?  It doesn't show up on the frame of the image, but it does stay attached to each image and is accessible from other software (e.g. Photoshop) working on the file.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:07:09 pm »

I'm starting with a small item:
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195578\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're several days late (and more than a $ short) if you are making a wish list for LR 2.0 now...you may want to wait till 2 ships and start a 3.0 wish list immediately...the time for a 2.0 wish list was last summer.

The View

Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 01:27:38 am »

Are you talking about images shown in the grid view?  In both the extended and compact cells you can tell LR to display the File Extension.  Does that not solve your problem?
It's available in both LR 1.x and 2.0beta.

Again in LR 1.x, it's not in the filters but you can do this by selecting the File Type in the Metadata Browser (down the bottom of the left panel).  Given that you've selected a folder, All Photographs, or a collection to see the files in the first place, if you Command-click (control-click on Windows) the relevant file types you should get what you're after.
In LR 2.0beta, File Type is available as a column in the custom filters at the top of the screen.
Have you thought about using the Instructions field in the metadata?  It doesn't show up on the frame of the image, but it does stay attached to each image and is accessible from other software (e.g. Photoshop) working on the file.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195583\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I actually don't use the extended cells. They are too distracting. I'd just like to have a little T show up on the frame. I currently label all my TIFFs blue, which of course - as you can only use one color label per image - uses up the labels for other use.

The tip with the metadata instructions field is good. It's just not useable for me, as you can't see the metadata field while being in the development module. And that's where I'd need it.

Great would be a dot, and when you hover your cursor over it, your notes appear.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

billg71

• http://www.billgrahamphotography.com
Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 08:29:15 pm »

You're several days late (and more than a $ short) if you are making a wish list for LR 2.0 now...you may want to wait till 2 ships and start a 3.0 wish list immediately...the time for a 2.0 wish list was last summer.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195584\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

3.0 wish list - soft proofing

Bill
[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'][span style='color:blue']"The doctor told how he was once fishing in the Wind River area of Wyoming and he looked up and far above on the side of the canyon two dogs sat on a rock peeking at him from the brush that surrounded the rock. Only they weren't dogs, they were coyotes. They were curious about what he might be doing standing in a river waving a stick." [span style='color:black']Jim Harrison, Farmer[/span][/span][/span]

gerk

• http://
Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 10:26:48 am »

I was just going to make the same comment.  Once things hit a public beta you are pretty much assured you're not going to get "new" features into it!  At that point it's more along the lines of damage control

travelenfree

Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 04:30:50 am »

I would like LR 2.0 to put a simple one step item in the file menu so that moving files within folders, complete with folder name, and complete with all changes done to each file is a simple one click in order to move the folders and files within it to a new hard drive within the same computer, or to an external hard drive, or to a new hard drive on a laptop.  Just make the process easier than it is.....PLEASE!!!!!

The View

Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 06:12:36 pm »

I was just going to make the same comment.  Once things hit a public beta you are pretty much assured you're not going to get "new" features into it!  At that point it's more along the lines of damage control
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195899\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Let's call it a general wish list for future improvements then.

adding:

the sequence of images in the library database is easily disturbed. When you process a RAW file in PS, the file is torn out of its place, and dropped at the end of the file, thus creating a mess.

This is a serious bug, and should be fixed. Soon.

Richowens

Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 07:06:38 pm »

This is not a bug. All you have to do is check"Stack with original" in the edit export dialogue. The new Tiff is displayed alongside the original RAW file.

Rich

wayfarer

Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 07:35:25 pm »

I do not understand your reply. Adobe Labs says on their LR2.0 web site "Please send us your replies".
Is not asking for something on a wish list on this forum the same as as communicating directly with Adobe. I understand Adobe reads this site.

Jeff.. I am beginning to believe you know it all and do not have the patience to listen to many of who  don't know it all

walter.sk

Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 07:46:20 pm »

3.0 wish list - soft proofing

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195799\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agree, Agree, Agree!

The View

Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 02:57:57 am »

This is not a bug. All you have to do is check"Stack with original" in the edit export dialogue. The new Tiff is displayed alongside the original RAW file.

Rich
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200490\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, I had a thread about this.

I check "stack with original", and the original AND the RAW file end up at the end of the file. If you have files with hundreds of pictures, that's quite annoying.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 05:55:51 am »

tethered!!!!!!!!
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

kovacj

Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 06:53:07 pm »

A "read-only" or "view-only" mode.

My daughter frequently has friends over and they like to look through my image library, makes me a bit nervous that she might "do" something inadvertently.

A read-only mode would enable clients to "drive" when viewing photos from a shoot without the risk of "damage."

To make this feature really useful, you would need to be able to select/limit the content of the library (e.g. optionally limit to a folder or collection).

It would be really cool if the "client" could assign either ratings/colors/flags that the photographer could then review; i.e. a set of images could contain multiple sets of ratings/colors/flags instead of just one.

Cheers,
Jarek

DavidB

Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 09:20:35 pm »

A "read-only" or "view-only" mode.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Maybe [a href=\"http://basepath.com/ImageIngester/LRViewer-info.php]LRViewer[/url] is what you're after?

MBehrens

Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 11:06:27 pm »

I check "stack with original", and the original AND the RAW file end up at the end of the file. If you have files with hundreds of pictures, that's quite annoying.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200690\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In Grid view set your Sort: to something other than Added Order. Set to File Name or the like and they will "stay together" and "in place"

Added Order seems to be the default in LR2 and it throws folk that have never set it to anything else.

- Morey

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 04:10:23 pm »

2.0 Release Speculation.

I suspect that this application will be released next week sometime.  Here's my tea leaves:

1.  The discount on tutorials at LL ends next week.  Michael said that the LR tutorial 2.0 will be released in conjunction with Adobe's release.  He wouldn't want to discount the newest tutorial so this discount must first end.

2.  Photoshopnews shows Jeff biking home this week (a full thread could be devoted to how he keeps his gear secured on that bike.  I envision duck tape just out of camera view).  Jeff will want to be close to home when this hits the market.

3.  The beta ends end of August.  That gives two months for the beta testers to transition and/or scream if the final algorithms change.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Misirlou

• http://
Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 05:41:02 pm »

I've got a wish for 2.1 (I'm hoping this is so small that it doesn't need a major development effort): Add a function to the Library module that allows you to tag shots with coordinates from GPS tracks stored in a specific location. Shouldn't take a lot of code.

cp1

• http://www.distantlight.info
Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 02:43:47 am »

To me there are some really simple basic features missing at the moment, or at least how to effect an equivalent outcome is not obvious to me.  In Develop I can't understand why you're not able to compare side-by-side arbitrary points in an image's history; compare view is great if you want to see the cumulative difference of all the changes you've made but not if you want to see individual or subsets of these changes.  I also can't see why the histogram in the Library module is so slow ("Calculating...") when other software seems to be able to produce this information instantaneously.  Also, the flashing highlights feature available in Develop would be really handy in Library and I sometimes find I have to go into Develop in order to compare the precise differences in exposure between two candidate images which just doesn't fit with a Lightroom's goal of optimising workflow efficiency.

DavidB

Wish list for LR 2.0
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 07:45:51 pm »

In Develop I can't understand why you're not able to compare side-by-side arbitrary points in an image's history; compare view is great if you want to see the cumulative difference of all the changes you've made but not if you want to see individual or subsets of these changes.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202978\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The Before side defaults to the original history state, but if you right-click on any state in the history list you can set it as the Before point.  If you do it while in the "Before/After" view it will be fairly intuitive.  The After side is always the "current" state.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up