Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable remote flash for Mamiya 645  (Read 5633 times)

billthecat

Portable remote flash for Mamiya 645
« on: May 13, 2008, 05:31:59 am »

Hello,

For my Canon cameras I have a ST-E2 and 580/550 flashes. They are small and fit in my bag, and I can put a flash to the side for nice fill light outdoors. I usually just dial down flash power on the camera a bit to get the effect I want. Canon seems to have purposely disabled use of their ST-E2 on other cameras.

I have a Mamiya 645 AFD2 and ZD back.

I assume I could use a Pocket Wizard to control a flash, but I'd have to run back and forth to set the power. Is there any small good wireless solution for the Mamiya?

Thanks,
Bill

nicholask

• http://www.viewfinderdigitisation.com.au
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:11:24 am »

check out the Norman 400B units, which are battery powered.  They make a head which has an in built Pocket Wizard receive.  

I shoot with an AFD, too, and have used my Canon 580EX flash on top of the camera in Manual mode.  It works ok, but nothing like the Norman.  I find the light off the Normans fantastic - quite raw, but with a real ping to them.

Nick

billthecat

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

The Norman looks nice, but I think it's the same kind of control with Pocket Wizards. You would set the output on the flash. I assume that's what I'll have to do, either with my Canon flashes or others.

Bill

woof75

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:57 am »

The Norman looks nice, but I think it's the same kind of control with Pocket Wizards. You would set the output on the flash. I assume that's what I'll have to do, either with my Canon flashes or others.

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195485\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

you'd be amazed at how good the auto setting on the metz 54mz is. I can never get ttl to work on the 645afd with metz, I have the adapter for it so I just use auto and it's genius.

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:04:42 pm »

you'd be amazed at how good the auto setting on the metz 54mz is. I can never get ttl to work on the 645afd with metz, I have the adapter for it so I just use auto and it's genius.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195494\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yep....and if you have the appropriate modules, you can use the 54 with canon or mamiya.

billthecat

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 02:07:54 pm »

Thanks for the info. I assume I could buy a SCA 3952 and use a generic Metz 54 on the camera. I'm looking more for a flash I can locate to the side of my subject for fill light. I guess my only option is to use a device like the Pocket Wizard and set my flash manually. Perhaps I'll get a light meter too help.

Bill

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 02:14:50 pm »

Has anyone used the Quantum Q Flash series?  T-4D or T-5d-r on a 645?  

Thanks
Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 08:27:55 pm »

Has anyone used the Quantum Q Flash series?  T-4D or T-5d-r on a 645? 

Thanks
Paul C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195523\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Quantum Q-flash system with Turbo battery and Pocket Wizards are a great combo with the Mamiya 645AFD.  I never liked the ttl modules.  Q-flash works well usng auto or manual settings. Good "portable" lighting system.  I'm still using the original Model T and T2----same great light quality and never found a need to upgrade.  Good testament to durability.  Customer service is excellent.

See, www.qtm.com
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:29:36 pm by kdphotography »

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 09:40:11 pm »

I bought Alien Bees with the portable battery option. They work great and are very cheap. Check their website www.alienbees.com

dustblue

• http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 01:31:11 pm »

I'll second that. Plus the little flash unit make it a unique and versatile on-camera flash.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195494\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up