Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions re: Contax 645  (Read 3261 times)

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
Questions re: Contax 645
« on: May 12, 2008, 07:35:38 pm »

I currently own an RZ, but I rented a Contax 645 this weekend to see what it is like shooting with a smaller, digital-ready, affordable MF system. I liked the camera, although the auto shut off was kind of annoying, but I really enjoyed having the f/2 80mm lens. In consideration for the future, does anyone have a clue how much longer Phase One would continue to make compatible backs for this camera? Also, is it expensive and/or difficult to get the camera serviced? Is Kyrocera responsive and easy to deal with, or do you go through a third-party service center?

Thanks for any information!

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:31:10 am »

I currently own an RZ, but I rented a Contax 645 this weekend to see what it is like shooting with a smaller, digital-ready, affordable MF system. I liked the camera, although the auto shut off was kind of annoying, but I really enjoyed having the f/2 80mm lens. In consideration for the future, does anyone have a clue how much longer Phase One would continue to make compatible backs for this camera? Also, is it expensive and/or difficult to get the camera serviced? Is Kyrocera responsive and easy to deal with, or do you go through a third-party service center?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195317\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You have to ask Phase that, but I assume as long as there is demand there will be a back made for the Contax.

The F2 80 is amazing and you can hand hold wide open at 1/60th.

Kyroceia (Tocad) sent us parts for a prism in three days, a shutter we stuck our thumb through took weeks, but the upside is the cameras are very inexpensive.  You can buy a backup body for $500 and though e-bay is usually high on prices, everyone else is very reasonable.

I've yet to walk into a professional camera store of any size where I couldn't buy a contax kit.

I love these cameras and the more I use them the more I like them.  They just keep working solid and are the deal of the century, as they are the only out of production medium format camera that has a complete digital interface.

I think the autofocus is very good once you get use to it.  Most people complain, but on continuous it's very fast and will track with someone moving quickly.  

I have absolutely no downside to this camera except the wakeup by hitting the shutter, but I use them so often it's second nature and I just think of it as an automatic on off switch.

Great cameras.

JR
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 01:31:49 am by James R Russell »

D_Clear

• DERMOT CLEARY PHOTOGRAPHER
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:41:22 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195317\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For my medium format platform I shoot a Contax/P45+ combination and love it without reservations. In my view it is the finest image quality possible with a digital back and a medium format camera - I say this having used every combination extensively on challenging projects with discerning Art Directors all around the world.

That being said, recent personal experience on repairs with both Phase One and ToCad - the designated North American repair centre for the Contax 645, has been unsettling from a professional user's standpoint.

Despite purchasing Phase's 3-year uptime extended warranty, I learned they currently have only 2 - P45+ Contax-mount backs in their entire North American loaner pool... the second one was JIT built only last week at the firm 'request' of my dealer Vistek in Toronto. All of this came to light when I was shipped a P45 as a loaner back, instead of the 45+. I have to say my sales expert at Vistek, Ron Steinberg has been remarkable on all aspects of my purchase and service - anyone who knows me will understand I am not the easiest customer when I buy a best-of-breed product, I expect a lot and Ron delivers.

The substituted 45 is unacceptable - apperently Vistek agree with my sentiment as well, though Phase will point to the vagueness of the wording in their fine print, which doesn't actually define if the loaner back will be the same as the back purchased.

Nice.

On the Contax side, during a recent prism repair my Contax service expert Tony at Nortown Photo in Mississauga was obliged to order a part from ToCad in New Jersey, they indicated that they had no more parts for the prism, so there begins the end of Contax servicing. This doesn't come as a complete surprise, we all know we are buying a discontinued camera system - it's interesting though to confront the reality of no parts.

Good luck on your decision

Dermot Cleary
dermotcleary.com
DC

vgogolak

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:28:10 pm »

I too use the Contax 645 and P45+. A great combination.
On parts, well, any model will go out. We have an 8 year old thermador professional and they dont make the grills any more. Sign of the times. H1 and H2 Hasselblads are still here, but 500 and 200 are history.

There is considerable float. You are not likely to find PARTS for a prism, but you can always find a prism, or a body with prism.

Actaually, as more people defect, the pressure on parts and used reduces. I bought a second body at 1/3 the price of original.

For those who want it, it is still going to be possible to use 20 years from now, at least with some backs.

Phase doesn't have much float of anything. They are a small company and can't possibly have millions (think 4-5 models, x 4 mounts x 5 territories x 30k is 3 million dollars of useless inventory. Barely possible.)

I'm not worried. In fact, I am tempted to buy back a Kodak back for some work, and older back mounts, well, what's to wear out?
you can get a used P30+ with 2yr warranty used for 12,500!

But what am I saying. I am NOT interested in more Contaxt users. I want fewer! Less competition for replacements! LOL

regards
Victor
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:29:18 pm by vgogolak »

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 06:47:09 pm »

Ive owned a contax 645, its the only 645 style camera ive liked, im more of a wlf square guy, rollei rz67 etc you get my drift.

If the contax was practical for the way I work or what I do..Id own 2 of them, they feel solid and everything is analog! no stupid buttons and menus to shovel through.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:47:36 pm by klane »

D_Clear

• DERMOT CLEARY PHOTOGRAPHER
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 06:52:59 pm »

I too use the Contax 645 and P45+. A great combination.
On parts, well, any model will go out. We have an 8 year old thermador professional and they dont make the grills any more. Sign of the times. H1 and H2 Hasselblads are still here, but 500 and 200 are history.

There is considerable float. You are not likely to find PARTS for a prism, but you can always find a prism, or a body with prism.

Actaually, as more people defect, the pressure on parts and used reduces. I bought a second body at 1/3 the price of original.

For those who want it, it is still going to be possible to use 20 years from now, at least with some backs.

Phase doesn't have much float of anything. They are a small company and can't possibly have millions (think 4-5 models, x 4 mounts x 5 territories x 30k is 3 million dollars of useless inventory. Barely possible.)

I'm not worried. In fact, I am tempted to buy back a Kodak back for some work, and older back mounts, well, what's to wear out?
you can get a used P30+ with 2yr warranty used for 12,500!

But what am I saying. I am NOT interested in more Contaxt users. I want fewer! Less competition for replacements! LOL

regards
Victor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195579\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Your math says their build costs are nearly at par with retail, which is a careless statement to make.

When a company such as Phase sell a service, they have an obligation to support the program.

If this means laying-in an additional back or two to support their '3 year uptime' profit-centre then so be it. How many of us do you suppose purchased that program, a great many.

DC
dermotcleary.com
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:23:54 am by D_Clear »
DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up