Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Treating Canvas for Low Humidity Installation  (Read 1592 times)

Doyle Yoder

Treating Canvas for Low Humidity Installation
« on: May 11, 2008, 04:33:42 pm »

I'm looking for a solution to a current problem. I installed a two large canvases in the home of a client living near Las Vegas. This is the second time we've done this type of job for this family. The canvas was Breathing Color's Brillianceā„¢ Chromata White lacquered (front side only) with Clearshield type C and stitched on all four sides with a pole pocket at the top and a smaller pocket at the bottom to hold a steel weight.

The first time we used this technique: no problem. This time, both canvases curled towards the lacquered side and I need to find a way to either fix the existing canvases or prepare reprinted canvases for this extremely low humidity environment.

So, if you're in this type of environment or working in similar conditions, how do you prepare your cloth inkjet materials for banner type installations?

Doyle

Dward

Treating Canvas for Low Humidity Installation
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 05:47:32 pm »

I'm looking for a solution to a current problem. I installed a two large canvases in the home of a client living near Las Vegas. This is the second time we've done this type of job for this family. The canvas was Breathing Color's Brillianceā„¢ Chromata White lacquered (front side only) with Clearshield type C and stitched on all four sides with a pole pocket at the top and a smaller pocket at the bottom to hold a steel weight.

The first time we used this technique: no problem. This time, both canvases curled towards the lacquered side and I need to find a way to either fix the existing canvases or prepare reprinted canvases for this extremely low humidity environment.

So, if you're in this type of environment or working in similar conditions, how do you prepare your cloth inkjet materials for banner type installations?

Doyle
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195085\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Doyle,

When I've run into this phenomenon, I lacquer the back of the canvas as well as the front.  This seems to equalize the "pull" of the shrinking lacquer.  I haven't tried it with Breathing Color (I use  mostly Sihl 3948), but I assume the warp/woof of the two fabrics run similarly.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up