Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy and Paste  (Read 8804 times)

Michael Bailey

Copy and Paste
« on: May 11, 2008, 02:10:28 pm »

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Nikon Capture NX, so I'm still working out whether problems I'm having are caused by me or by shortcomings in the program. Specifically, I can't figure out why it takes so many steps to apply settings from one file onto others. Whether I use "Save... and Load..." or "Copy and Paste..." I have to go through a few control windows, and then the process itself seems quite slow.

Since the program operates "non-destructively", in which settings only alter the data text contained within the file, I would think the process would be easier and faster. Adobe ACR is quite a bit quicker in application and in actually doing the math.

Am I missing something?

MB

Windows, Core-Duo 3Mz (I think). 3 GB RAM
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 02:11:31 pm by Michael Bailey »

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
Copy and Paste
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 10:00:20 pm »

It only takes me a couple of clicks of the mouse to copy and paste settings; same with saving and loading settings.

Avoiding NR, Active D-Lighting and D-Lighting makes NX run much faster -- virtually indistinguishable from ACR with better results (at least I think so).

ghervey

• http://
Copy and Paste
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 05:02:47 pm »

It should work quickly.  Can you describe your situation/problem in more detail?
Geoffrey Hervey

Michael Bailey

Copy and Paste
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:03:02 am »

It should work quickly.  Can you describe your situation/problem in more detail?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195283\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's slow for me in two ways. The first is simply the mechanical process of copying and pasting. In that respect I'm probably spoiled by the nice way that ACR allows me to just click in settings when I have several files opened in the ACR window.

The more curious delay is the time NX takes to apply the pasted settings. To my mind the program is only changing a little bit of text and re-writing the thumbnail preview, but it takes 10-15 seconds, about the amount of time I'm accustomed to waiting for a whole file conversion.

I've seen a reference claiming that the process is faster if I make all my adjustments in New Steps, rather than Base Adjustments. True?

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
Copy and Paste
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 07:33:11 pm »

The more curious delay is the time NX takes to apply the pasted settings. To my mind the program is only changing a little bit of text and re-writing the thumbnail preview, but it takes 10-15 seconds[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195705\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's more than a thumbnail preview; in fact you can zoom to 100% with no visible degradation in image quality, so it appears to be a 100% image "preview".
Pages: [1]   Go Up