Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: favorite textbooks  (Read 4512 times)

glindarayepix

favorite textbooks
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:41:25 pm »

Just curious if anyone who has taken an academic photography course has any favorite textbooks they have used in their course work. I am looking for this kind of info (as opposed to commercial "idiot" guides), and suppose others might be too. Any names?

Thanks,
Glinda

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
favorite textbooks
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 09:28:49 pm »

Richard D. Zakia's "Perception and Imaging" subtitled: "Photography - A Way of Seeing"

lightstand

favorite textbooks
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 09:32:05 pm »

Glinda you might want to be a little more specific in what area you are looking at. Are you looking at digital processing, lighting, compositions?

For digital processing I am finding the dvd tutorials the most helpful.
Lighting: Light, Science & Magic

for general photography, not sure if they have an updated version with digital but definitely a must have beginning book would be Upton & Upton's "Photography" I would pick up an old one and just ignore the chapters on the darkroom

And of course there's Ansel's "Negative" "Camera" & "The Print"

jeff

dalethorn

favorite textbooks
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 09:39:12 pm »

Back in the late 1970's I had two - I believe they were called Basic Photography and Advanced Photography (or similar), edited and printed in England, about 400-500 pages each.  Excellent books covering everything from specular reflections to judging true resolution.  I haven't seen anything as good since, as most of what gets recommended here are highly specialized texts.

glindarayepix

favorite textbooks
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 02:41:55 am »

Thanks, everyone. I already found Hortenson's B&W book. Will look these up on Amazon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up