Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird Epson 3880 Problems  (Read 12256 times)

pflower

Weird Epson 3880 Problems
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:22:30 pm »

I have had my 3880 for about 18 months with virtually no problems at all. Once in about March 2007 a print came out with weird banding across it which I tracked down to a head clog.  A single cleaning cycle cured that.  Thereafter no clogs even when left unused for several weeks.  I have now probably made in excess of 1,000 A3+ prints, the same in A4 and 500 A2 prints.  All fine.

About a month ago I suddenly had a massive head clog.  I had made about 15 perfectly good prints (on Harman Gloss AI) when on the 16th or so the printer started to make a slightly peculiar noise - as if the head was hitting something at the end of each pass.  There were no visible head striks on the paper but the print was badly banded and a nozzle check showed that all of the channels were broken.  I cleaned it but the confirmation nozzle check then showed that only the top 3 lines of each channel were printing out - the lines below and the text didn't print at all.

Another clean solved that problem and I made another print which was perfect.  5 minutes later the next print was badly banded and again on a nozzle check only the top 3 lines printed.

I called Epson who quoted me a fee of £400 to send someone out inclusive of all parts and labour and a 12 month warranty - seemed like a pretty good deal to me.  However I left it over night and found it still clogged but tried a clean which worked and I cancelled the Epson tech.  Since then it has worked perfectly - approx 100 A4 prints.

Suddenly today the same problem has started up again.  Badly broken lines across the entire spectrum in the middle of a printing session.  Solved by 2 cleaning cycles.

This doesn't sound like a normal head clog but more as if the heads are about to seize up.  Has anyone experienced anything like this?

What I don't want to do is commit to spending £400 for a tech to come and say that he can't find anything wrong with the printer.

Jon Shiu

• http://www.jonshiu.com
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 01:43:15 pm »

Hi, was wondering if Epson support had recommended doing a Power Clean and if so did that help any with your printer?

Jon
Mendocino Coast in Black and White: [url

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 02:38:58 pm »

One thing that isn't often talked about is that over time, ink can go bad...so check the expiration date on the ink carts.

Also, an important maintenance procedure is to take ink carts out of the printer and do a gentle agitation by rocking them back and forth to make sure the ink emulsion is evenly distributed. So, if you don't use the printer for a period of time, make sure you re-mix the ink when resuming printing.

Note that the head movement of printing isn't enough to re-agitate the inks...the head moved left/right while the best agitation if front to back.

This process can actually work up to and even after (for a short period anyway) extending the expiration date of the ink. However, the thing that you stated that would indicate a problem unrelated to ink mix is the noise...don't know what that could be, but odd noises are _NEVER_ a good sign...

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 02:44:21 pm »

...Also, an important maintenance procedure is to take ink carts out of the printer and do a gentle agitation by rocking them back and forth to make sure the ink emulsion is evenly distributed. So, if you don't use the printer for a period of time, make sure you re-mix the ink when resuming printing.
...[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's a new one on me.  How often should this be done?  Should it be done even if the printer is in fairly regular use?  (I have a 4800.)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Schewe

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 02:52:56 pm »

That's a new one on me.  How often should this be done?  Should it be done even if the printer is in fairly regular use?  (I have a 4800.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194674\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It should be done on a fairly regular basis...say once every 1-2 months...remember the instructions when loading a new cart, to agitate before inserting? The same thing holds for ink already installed. Doing this will help prevent head clogs on all Epson pigment ink printers because the pigment ink is really an emulsified ink with the pigment particles held in suspension. If the ink settles over time, it can lead to clogs...

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 03:41:59 pm »

Makes sense... thanks.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 05:13:49 pm »

It should be done on a fairly regular basis...say once every 1-2 months...remember the instructions when loading a new cart, to agitate before inserting? The same thing holds for ink already installed. Doing this will help prevent head clogs on all Epson pigment ink printers because the pigment ink is really an emulsified ink with the pigment particles held in suspension. If the ink settles over time, it can lead to clogs...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194675\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
But don't shake them "too hard" (to quote the 3800 manual), unless you like coloured walls and carpet. Perhaps putting the cartridge into a plastic bag before shaking would be a good idea.

Jeremy

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 05:28:21 pm »

Have a recent serious paper jam?  Any chance there is something in the printer (remnant of paper from a jam)  that is hitting the head causing some ink build up which eventually causes a clog?

Just a thought ... can't really think of anything else.

Schewe

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 05:45:42 pm »

But don't shake them "too hard" (to quote the 3800 manual), unless you like coloured walls and carpet. Perhaps putting the cartridge into a plastic bag before shaking would be a good idea.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194706\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've never had a cart leak when doing "gentle" agitation...I rock them gently front to back...this is easier of course (and perhaps more important due to volume) on larger 80, 110 & 220ml carts.

pflower

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 09:13:04 am »

I've never had a cart leak when doing "gentle" agitation...I rock them gently front to back...this is easier of course (and perhaps more important due to volume) on larger 80, 110 & 220ml carts.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194718\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion.  What threw me is that all the channels were blocked to the extent that only the top three lines of all the colours printed on the nozzle check.  If it was a rogue cartridge that had settled surely it would just have affected that particular colour?  

I was concerned about the noise but that has stopped now.  Am not printing over the weekend but will examine the carts, rock them and try again on monday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up