Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photomatix HDR software  (Read 7514 times)

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
Photomatix HDR software
« on: May 08, 2008, 11:51:29 pm »

I am just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Photomatix Pro HDR software package?  The claims are that their software is much better than the CS3 HDR merge because it allows you easier and more control  with the tonal variations associated with merging multiple images.  I find that I do not need HDR merge as often with MF compared to my canon system but I still use HDR.  The web site is
http://www.hdrsoft.com/

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Photomatix HDR software
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 02:34:40 am »

I am quite sufficient with PS but have no clue as how to get any decent results from the HDR functionality (with the HDR functionality, manually layering works fine). Photomatix on the other hand is a total breeze, it also allows you to use a single raw file to create HDR and use tone-mapping (which is the most usefull/fun functionality).

I have played with it a while ago but haven't used it for a while, it is usefull in some cases but I find it turns to a gimmick quite fast.

I now layer in PS to extend my DR if needed but do have some issues with that on which I am still thinking on how and wether to solve that.

Photomatix is a fun tool though that can generate very nice results under certain circumstances and definitely worth a look at.

Streetwise

• DavidAnderson.tv
Photomatix HDR software
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:05:25 am »

Here's a great article that was in AfterCapture magazine a few months ago. It talks a lot about the process and the tools beyond CS3. There's more links in the article itself.

Dave

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Photomatix HDR software
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 09:09:53 am »

Photomatrix software is a very good solution for the creation of an HDR raw and the following tone mapping.  The latest version  has a well designed interface and is very straight forward.  On larger files, depending on your computer, you may need to create the HDR with the batch option.   With vr3, they also seemed to get a better handle on the noise issues that I noticed in the older Vr 2 releases.

You can also still create the HDR in CS and then open that file with Photomatrix if you like to tone map.  

In my HDR work, I have started letting Photomatrix open the raw files and create the HDR that way, instead of using Capture One or ACR to convert the raws into tiffs and then creating the HDR raw from the series of tifs.    

I personally don't like to use the plugin, but instead use the full software which allows for two options on the HDR mapping, Detail mapping and tone mapping.  

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

MarkKay

Photomatix HDR software
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 11:32:16 am »

Thanks for the link and all the experiences  to date.  I downloaded a demo version but only had some appropriate Canon 1DsmkIII files to test.  I clearly got better results with this program compared to what I could achieve in CS3 HDR.  There was a shot or two not happy with either.  Seems like it is worth having it around.  
But clearly do not need to use HDR in as many of my MF shots because of the better DR with the initial capture.

Here's a great article that was in AfterCapture magazine a few months ago. It talks a lot about the process and the tools beyond CS3. There's more links in the article itself.

Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194547\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
Photomatix HDR software
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 11:34:31 am »

I have and use the Photomatix software - both standalone and CS3 plugin.

The standalone version is certainly convenient, especially in batch mode.  The blending variations are also useful.

On the other hand, it seems to me that the CS3 HDR merge provides better alignment.  

So I use both.  Getting a decent HDR image -- or even a strange one -- is still not a very consistent procedure for me.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Photomatix HDR software
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 02:26:40 pm »

Good point on the alignment.  I found CS had better alignment but didn't handle movement (trees and wind) very well but Photomatrix did a great job on that.  This caused me to just plan on having  tripod when shooting for HDR.  Ver 3 of Photomatrix I feel does much better on the alignment issues.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

MarkKay

Photomatix HDR software
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 02:59:02 pm »

Well i am glad to see this issue is not just unique to me.  The Photomatrix alignment also seems to be very dependent on which parameters you check  that control the alignment but still not enough experience.

Good point on the alignment.  I found CS had better alignment but didn't handle movement (trees and wind) very well but Photomatrix did a great job on that.  This caused me to just plan on having  tripod when shooting for HDR.  Ver 3 of Photomatrix I feel does much better on the alignment issues.

Paul C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194668\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Photomatix HDR software
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 03:06:30 pm »

I found alignment difficult with all as well. I sometimes used photomatix with 1 raw file. Process it into various tiff files where exposure has been raised & lowered via ACR. These tiffs can be used to create  a HDR file with Photomatix which obviously has no alignment problems. This with my DB files generated enough for me in most cases.

This I have not been able to do in PS (but I have to admit I gave up on trying to HDR a single file with PS after CS2).
Pages: [1]   Go Up