Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge CS3.....UGH!  (Read 5229 times)

Raw shooter

Bridge CS3.....UGH!
« on: May 07, 2008, 02:30:46 pm »

I have 13 computers in house, lots of different video cards, Win XP, Win Vista, and 1 MacBook Pro lap.  Bridge CS3 just does not work right.  Thumbnail issues, applying the correct color to the white balanced RAW files, very slow performance.

I have tried all the fixes.  I have updated all the Adobe apps to the latest versions, even reinstalled all Adobe apps, tried the cache clearing,  increasing cache size, export cache to folder options, removing all preferences in Bridge CS3 on start, tried software rendering options, high-quality preview options, high quality thumbnail options, and startup script options.  Still Bridge is just broken.

Bridge CS2 still works great, unfortunately I mostly use a Nikon D300 - which requires Camera Raw 4.x in Adobe Photoshop CS3.  I clearly like the NEF raw files and don't really want to convert to DNG just to use Bridge CS2.  I'm guessing that Nikon will be around for a while to support NEF files.

The only thing that seems common on the computers (Win and Mac) that have bad Bridge CS3 problems in that each has an NVIDIA video card.  Interestingly, the older computers that seem to work better have some older ATI cards - although they have problems, just fewer and less problematic.  The problems are far worse when viewing a folder of D300 raw files?

Adobe does not seem at all interested in either acknowledging this problem or solving this problem that almost all users seem to have.

Any new ideas or solutions out there??

*** UPDATE***
I opened the NVIDIA website and downloaded the automatic 'seach for new driver' applet.  The automated applet actually recommended a driver from December 2007 - and not the newer versions.  The recommended driver downloaded, I uninstalled the old drive, then restarted and installed the new recommended driver.
On restart, the color and performance of the new driver was better and faster.  I then re profiled both monitors.  One monitor, the Dell 24 inch Ultrasharp allows calibration with the Eye One Display 2 software (3.6), and the calibration steps showed completely different R G B settings than just a hour earlier with the old driver installed. After both monitors were re profiled, the performance in Bridge CS3 was completely corrected.  The color of the raw thumbnails on both monitors (I opened 2 Bridge CS3 windows, one on each screen) were completely identical.  This problem is solved on this one computer.
I am off to see if the NVIDIA website can solve the other Bridge CS3 problems, on my other computers, I have been having - I am guessing that it will.

I was completely wrong on my original posting.  This was a NVIDIA driver issue and not an Adobe issue.  My bad!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 04:55:25 pm by Raw shooter »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Bridge CS3.....UGH!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 03:30:07 pm »

Any new ideas or solutions out there??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194194\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you running with NVIDIA nView Multi-Display Technology ((also known as nView Desktop Manager) software? That is know to be a really, really crappy piece of stuff that should _NOT_ be enabled or used for ANY computer that is doing substantial digital imaging work...and Adobe has indeed had tech documents regarding that...

Raw shooter

Bridge CS3.....UGH!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 03:40:30 pm »

Are you running with NVIDIA nView Multi-Display Technology ((also known as nView Desktop Manager) software? That is know to be a really, really crappy piece of stuff that should _NOT_ be enabled or used for ANY computer that is doing substantial digital imaging work...and Adobe has indeed had tech documents regarding that...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194215\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jeff,
Thanks for responding, but No, all the NVIDIA programs and applets, including the nView Multi-Display, have been removed from the startup menu or disabled on each NVIDIA computer.
Most users, including me, disable the NVIDIA software during startup to get the ICC monitor profiles to properly load on dual display configurations.

MarcRochkind

Bridge CS3.....UGH!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:35:52 am »

I was completely wrong on my original posting.  This was a NVIDIA driver issue and not an Adobe issue.  My bad!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194194\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nice to hear that. It would be appropriate to change the title of your post, then, right?

--Marc

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Bridge CS3.....UGH!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:32:57 pm »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
A shame as the [customisable] functionality of nView is absolutely fantastic with regard to using multiple monitors. A very nice bit of software - functionwise. But,  I disabled nView a while back with suspicions about it's bugginess. Computer was so inelegant in use with it missing.  
I'm currently using a MacPro and the multi-monitor support/functionality is mind numbingly frustrating/clumsy compared to Windows or especially nView. I've used Macs a lot before, but only with single monitors.
In case anyone wonders why OSX is so clumsy with mutliple monitors, having the menu on just one screen makes for a lot of unnecessary mouse movement and can also cause confusion as to which programme is live as OSX can be a bit too subtle at times. Not only that, but full screen modes in LR for example, end up filling just the one monitor, not the entire desktop. Grr! </rant>

For an extreme example of multiple monitors.
[a href=\"http://www.digitaltigers.com/zenview-atlas17x.asp]http://www.digitaltigers.com/zenview-atlas17x.asp[/url]
This display uses Windows, so Menu is with each programme, which makes far more sense with multiple monitors.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up