Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: new phase one/mamiya afd3 body  (Read 14073 times)

woof75

new phase one/mamiya afd3 body
« on: May 07, 2008, 10:49:17 am »

There's a day at Digital Transitions in NY today (the 7th) where they are doing a demo on it, I won't be able to make it. It sounds quite interesting, it seems that they have come up with lens optimization in capture one. It could be interesting, anyone know anything about it? I think Hasselblad already have this function in there software right, does it work well for them?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 05:35:53 pm »

There's a day at Digital Transitions in NY today (the 7th) where they are doing a demo on it, I won't be able to make it. It sounds quite interesting, it seems that they have come up with lens optimization in capture one. It could be interesting, anyone know anything about it? I think Hasselblad already have this function in there software right, does it work well for them?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Phase One User Forum has lots of info.

[a href=\"http://forum.phaseone.com/viewforum.php?f=22]http://forum.phaseone.com/viewforum.php?f=22[/url]

Bill

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 08:19:12 pm »

Here is a link to show you some of the dates and cities that Capture Integration will be having seminars at:

http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/05/...r-may-seminars/

We will be showing the new Phase One 645 Camera and demonstrating C1 4.1.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Snook

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 09:00:16 pm »

Here is a link to show you some of the dates and cities that Capture Integration will be having seminars at:

http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/05/...r-may-seminars/

We will be showing the new Phase One 645 Camera and demonstrating C1 4.1.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194270\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yeh.. And where are the freak'n Leafshutter lens's.
I am SURE I am not the only one wanting those.
Snook

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 09:25:48 pm »

Yeh.. And where are the freak'n Leafshutter lens's.
I am SURE I am not the only one wanting those.
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194277\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Patience is a virtue.....
Good things are worth waiting for....
Any more platitudes, just ask,
Bill

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 09:37:19 pm »

Hi Chris,

Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

pookipichu

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 10:07:29 pm »

Woof, the seminar is tomorrow.  So you might be able to make it after all.  I am going to the one at 6PM.  Should be fun and informative.  

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194130\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:05:22 am »

Hi Chris,

Have you had a chance to try it out yet?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not yet. We will be able to get our mitts on ours next week.  I'll post my findings soon.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

pookipichu

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 10:20:45 pm »

Great seminar, lots of fun, nice presentation and they gave us a lot of time for hands on use of the phase one body and the phase one 80mm f/2.8.  I brought my CF card and Hassy 50.  Will post some photos and thoughts tonight or tomorrow.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 09:12:59 am »

If possible a couple of questions.

Did you find the AF motor both faster and smoother in operation?  
How did the new style shutter work?
AF points, there are supposed to be (3) you can now assign, are they widely spaced across the viewfinder?

Thanks
Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

pookipichu

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 11:39:58 am »

The Af is definitely faster.  Comparing it to an H2, the focus is faster and hunts less.  It has a bright red Af assist light and focus is quick and accurate with center point focus.  BUT, when using the side focus points, it hunts even on a well-lit object.   Also, the selectable Af points do not light up in the viewfinder, you need to look at the lcd to determine which point is selected.

The Af points are spaced thusly:

[_______xXx_______]

PS - New lenses were announced, the whole lens line is being refurbished to higher specs.  New Mamiya 150 f/2.8 D announced as well as some others I don't remember.  Apparently their new 120 Makro D exceeds the 120 Zeiss in resolution and CA control, based on their tests...

If possible a couple of questions.

Did you find the AF motor both faster and smoother in operation? 
How did the new style shutter work?
AF points, there are supposed to be (3) you can now assign, are they widely spaced across the viewfinder?

Thanks
Paul C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194569\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 11:40:56 am by pookipichu »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 11:56:06 am »

thanks for the info.  I had hoped that they would give you all three points visible in the viewfinder.  
I also meant to ask, did they have any info on the 45-90, either day of release or sug. retail?  

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

pookipichu

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 12:01:26 pm »

The 45-90 f/4.5 D -  They said Q3 '08 as of now.

The af points are almost on top of each other, not sure who would even use the side points.

thanks for the info.  I had hoped that they would give you all three points visible in the viewfinder. 
I also meant to ask, did they have any info on the 45-90, either day of release or sug. retail? 

Paul C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194621\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 12:01:58 pm by pookipichu »

woof75

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 12:13:55 pm »

The 45-90 f/4.5 D -  They said Q3 '08 as of now.

The af points are almost on top of each other, not sure who would even use the side points.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194625\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's so funny how they can get these things so wrong sometimes. It's great to hear that the AF is good and accurate though, thats really good news.

TMARK

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 12:35:19 pm »

Thanks for the report.  Did you notice if the shutter lag was improved over the previous models?

T

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 12:44:03 pm »

The 45-90 f/4.5 D -  They said Q3 '08 as of now.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194625\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's glass, glass, glass.

I know most people want better AF, ok, and leaf shutters, ok, but fill the line with fast glass.

Mamiya previously 45mm 2.8's, 80mm 1.9's, 110 2.8's and make sure they are sharp wide open

110 is the hole in most of these lines especially since all of the sensors have a crop factor.

Everytime I even have a whsiper of a thought of changing cameras, I look at the lens lines and few are as fast as my old Contax's so I just don't bother.

For me it's the glass, no mirror slap and sharp wide open.

I may not shoot that much at F2.2 at a 60th but when I do it's a lifesaver.

JR

pookipichu

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 01:17:15 pm »

Shutter lag has improved, the whole handling has improved, little details like a rubberized grip just make it "feel" better as opposed to hard plastic.

Coming from 35mm, 645 bodies are positively Flinstonian in their handling, but this new Phasone body is the nicest one yet.  I just don't understand why they can't space out the AF points more.  They don't even function well which is disappointing, worse than the outermost non-cross sensors of the 1DS2.  Also, it's very awkward to change AF points, you have to hold down a tiny button and use the scroll wheel next to the top panel.  Forget it if you have short sausage fingers.   Also the 1/125 flash sync is an improvement over some bodies, but still, I was blowing out when using their profotos dialed down.  Seems like these little things could make the body MUCH more usable, still, kudos for the various improvements.

Thanks for the report.  Did you notice if the shutter lag was improved over the previous models?

T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194636\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pookipichu

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 01:20:10 pm »

From the mouth of the reps, they are dedicated to providing new glass, and glass that is optimized to provide resolution for up coming high pixel pitch backs.

I have to say the 150 f/2.8 D looks really enticing.  And some of the photos from the new 28mm were stunning.  No CA (I think they processed it through Capture 4.1 tho, not sure, should have asked)

It's glass, glass, glass.

I know most people want better AF, ok, and leaf shutters, ok, but fill the line with fast glass.

Mamiya previously 45mm 2.8's, 80mm 1.9's, 110 2.8's and make sure they are sharp wide open

110 is the hole in most of these lines especially since all of the sensors have a crop factor.

Everytime I even have a whsiper of a thought of changing cameras, I look at the lens lines and few are as fast as my old Contax's so I just don't bother.

For me it's the glass, no mirror slap and sharp wide open.

I may not shoot that much at F2.2 at a 60th but when I do it's a lifesaver.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194637\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 01:43:05 pm »

From the mouth of the reps, they are dedicated to providing new glass, and glass that is optimized to provide resolution for up coming high pixel pitch backs.

I have to say the 150 f/2.8 D looks really enticing.  And some of the photos from the new 28mm were stunning.  No CA (I think they processed it through Capture 4.1 tho, not sure, should have asked)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194647\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A 150 2.8 is fine, but way long on 1.16 and 1.26 cropped sensors.  140mm should be the max for that style of lens in digital and nothing is more useable than something in the 110 to 100mm range.

When you say upcoming high pixel pitched backs, it makes my stomach hurt.  I can't imagine anyhtng needed over 30mpx and quite honestly hope I never see it.  The only way I would accept a 40mpx back is if the chip was 6x7 and then I doubt it.

There is so many things medium format should address, faster glass, better previews, better lcd's easy hand holdable previewing and rocket fast software that the thought of going to 40 or 50mpx backs will completely insure I stay with my current cameras for a long time.

JR

pookipichu

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 03:34:25 pm »

I agree with you, mpx count is fine, they need to focus on other things.  The LCD on the 45+ back was shockingly primitive, pixelated and small.  No live preview for checking focus, and the back got super warm.  My CF card was borderline hot after shooting.   (Although I was informed the back has live preview support when tethered.)  I was truly impressed by was the incredible acuity of the images.  Sharp, crystalline pixels that are wow.  The Pebble Place blogs put it best with John's review of dMF.    

A 150 2.8 is fine, but way long on 1.16 and 1.26 cropped sensors.  140mm should be the max for that style of lens in digital and nothing is more useable than something in the 110 to 100mm range.

When you say upcoming high pixel pitched backs, it makes my stomach hurt.  I can't imagine anyhtng needed over 30mpx and quite honestly hope I never see it.  The only way I would accept a 40mpx back is if the chip was 6x7 and then I doubt it.

There is so many things medium format should address, faster glass, better previews, better lcd's easy hand holdable previewing and rocket fast software that the thought of going to 40 or 50mpx backs will completely insure I stay with my current cameras for a long time.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194657\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up