Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z and glossy PE Paper, problematic?  (Read 3822 times)

laughingbear

HP Z and glossy PE Paper, problematic?
« on: May 07, 2008, 05:01:56 am »

Greetings,

I am going to finance a LFP and so far was intending to use the HP Z3100. However, I was just told today that hi glossy PE papers would be nearly unusable due to gloss differentials.

I thougth this statement on PE papers to be a little shocking. Is the HP really restricted to materials like canvas and matt papers?

I thought the gloss optimizer takes care for that but he said that this comes at an extra cost and would change the appearance of the paper dramatically.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:03:51 am by laughingbear »

Roscolo

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 06:09:49 am »

Greetings,

I am going to finance a LFP and so far was intending to use the HP Z3100. However, I was just told today that hi glossy PE papers would be nearly unusable due to gloss differentials.

I thougth this statement on PE papers to be a little shocking. Is the HP really restricted to materials like canvas and matt papers?

I thought the gloss optimizer takes care for that but he said that this comes at an extra cost and would change the appearance of the paper dramatically.

What do you think?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194079\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are misinformed. The opposite is true. Color and B&W prints I have made with the z3100 on HP ID Satin and Glossy papers as well as Kodak Satin and Glossy have no gloss differential.

No, gloss optimizer does not come at "extra cost" and the only way it changes the appearance of the paper is to give it a uniform finish virtually indistinguishable from the appearance of a traditional lab print, i.e. no gloss differential.

This information isn't hard to find, it's all over the web in various reviews and all over this forum. Do your research. Better yet, get some of your work printed on a z3100 and see the results for yourself and see if it meets your requirements.

Good luck.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 08:09:54 am »

Greetings,

What do you think?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure who you've been talking to but they're certainly not well informed about the Z3100.  You might want to read Neil Snape's review of the Z3100 as a starting point.  [a href=\"http://www.neilsnape.com/Z_Review/index.htm]Click here.[/url]
Regards,
Ron

laughingbear

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 02:40:28 pm »

I'm not sure who you've been talking to but they're certainly not well informed about the Z3100.  You might want to read Neil Snape's review of the Z3100 as a starting point.  Click here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194101\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmmm, I prefer to say not.

Thanks for the link, think I read that before a while ago, must read again!

Problem for me is, I am really in "the outback", have to take a flight to check out printers, then again, what does it help to look at stunning demo prints for a few hours?

I intend to think, they all have their strength and weaknesses. 44" maschines cost a lot, and probably none of them are bad.

Ah well... probably a case of drop the cash and hope for the best, informed decisions are only possible to a degree I suppose. Thanks again!

~^..^~
Bear

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 02:47:27 pm »

At this point each printer has its zealous advocates.  IMHO the output from the latest Canon, HP and Epson printers are all excellent.  The individual characteristics might be deciding points:  how well does it handle cut sheets, switching blacks, built-in spectro, etc.

If you're as far in the boonies are you suggest perhaps your choice will be influenced by who can actually provide service for your large format printer in the event of a problem.
Regards,
Ron

laughingbear

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 02:59:09 pm »

If you're as far in the boonies are you suggest perhaps your choice will be influenced by who can actually provide service for your large format printer in the event of a problem.

Good thinking, thanks for that reminder! My dealer had to check with HP whether I am covered under the 3 years extended... Supposedly I would be, however, I better get that in writing!

As for Neil's review, yeah read that half a year ago if memory serves.

Btw. I used to live in NC quite some time, around Greensboro area. Hot as Hell in Summer, but nice, hanging rock etc.   Davidson is a bit away I think. I loved my time in NC. Ever been on Ocracoke Island?

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 04:26:13 pm »

Btw. I used to live in NC quite some time, around Greensboro area. Hot as Hell in Summer, but nice, hanging rock etc.   Davidson is a bit away I think. I loved my time in NC. Ever been on Ocracoke Island?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194203\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Davidson is just north of Charlotte.  I actually live somewhat in the country with some hamburger on the hoof as neighbors.  

Greensboro isn't that far away.  I was up in that neck of the woods on Sunday.  Actually in Asheboro visiting the NC Zoo.

Hot?  The humidity just equals the temperature at times in the summer.  That's all.    

The Outer Banks are a great place to visit.  I've been there and always love every minute of the time spent.  Cool ocean breezes in the summer.

Charleston, SC is much closer though and as such its quite easy to pop down their for the weekend.
Regards,
Ron

Roscolo

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 05:28:37 pm »

Hmmm, I prefer to say not.

Thanks for the link, think I read that before a while ago, must read again!

Problem for me is, I am really in "the outback", have to take a flight to check out printers, then again, what does it help to look at stunning demo prints for a few hours?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194197\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No need to take a flight. Find a lab or service bureau that uses the Z3100, send them some of your files, and they ship you the prints.

A good investment. Then you can see for yourself how your work looks on the z's output as opposed to the terribly bad info. you were told that you passed on in your original post. Regarding your concern, you should be specific and make sure you want your prints on glossy photo paper using gloss enhancer.

laughingbear

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 06:51:45 pm »

Hot?  The humidity just equals the temperature at times in the summer.  That's all.   

Yup, thats what I remember well! Was drinking green tea with honey by the gallon. <grins> I am in NW Ireland now. ....Small blue marble in deed....

So Ron, I am curious, since when do you run your HP? Steep learning curve for a newbie I guess.

Can't wait to throw some files at this baby, I downloaded a 0.45 Gig file @ 15852 X 12392 from NASA. Do you use the Z under OSX or Windows?

I am a longtime, actually too long time, PC user, but decided to switch over to a monster mac with enough RAM for printing and music. I do some homerecording in sparetime, cant have enough RAM for that.

Ever printed on this new Baryta Paper?

LOL, I better shut up, too many questions come to mind... <grins>

@Roscolo, thanks for that suggestion!

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 08:49:07 pm »

So Ron, I am curious, since when do you run your HP? Steep learning curve for a newbie I guess.

Do you use the Z under OSX or Windows?

I am a longtime, actually too long time, PC user, but decided to switch over to a monster mac with enough RAM for printing and music. I do some homerecording in sparetime, cant have enough RAM for that.

Ever printed on this new Baryta Paper?

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've had my Z3100 for a few days more than a year.  I did have to reorient my thinking to the large format but the learning curve wasn't terrible.  It went easier than I anticipated with a new large format printer thanks to the folks on this forum.  Everyone was sharing experiences and tips and tricks.  The biggest challenge was probably going through all the firmware/driver/software changes.  I bought the APS with the rebate I got on the printer and since I only have one large format printer I really enjoy having the built-in spectro.  Its so easy to use.

A good resource if you'd like to follow the journey up till now is the [a href=\"http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/]Z3100 wiki.[/url]  Several of us have tried to load every scrap of info we can about this printer there.

I'm using a PC but I've also run a Z3100 from Macs as well although not extensively.  A friend just got the Mac Pro with dual quad cores and needless to say I now have hardware envy.

I haven't tried the Baryta papers yet.  Several others on this forum have.  Some with success and some with no joy.  

NW Ireland is a fair ways away from NC.  That must have been quite a change in climate.  
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up