Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing prints in Wood  (Read 1746 times)

evonzz

• CENTRAL STUDIOS
Storing prints in Wood
« on: May 06, 2008, 10:26:44 pm »

a woodworker guy i know has just made me a set of print draws in wood which he has then stained black.  The smell of the stain is still quite present.

Now i have heard that storing prints in wood is not ideal due to the humidity fluctuations and absorbent nature of wood, however i was wondering what the implications of the stain might be with regard to the stability of the prints.  I have the cardboard inserts from the paper packs lining the base of the draws and some other wax paper around the prints. I plan to go and buy tissue paper as well.

is it possible for the lingering smell of the stain affect the prints?  I am not talking long term, but prints may have exposure for a few months.

Any comments much appreciated.

peteh

• http://
Storing prints in Wood
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 02:01:01 am »

a woodworker guy i know has just made me a set of print draws in wood which he has then stained black.  The smell of the stain is still quite present.

Now i have heard that storing prints in wood is not ideal due to the humidity fluctuations and absorbent nature of wood, however i was wondering what the implications of the stain might be with regard to the stability of the prints.  I have the cardboard inserts from the paper packs lining the base of the draws and some other wax paper around the prints. I plan to go and buy tissue paper as well.

is it possible for the lingering smell of the stain affect the prints?  I am not talking long term, but prints may have exposure for a few months.

Any comments much appreciated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194006\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I as a wood worker too.Recommend taking your prints out of the drawers and put them somewhere else for  while. Open the drawers for 3-4 days to OFF-GAS the stain and they should be fine. The stain should have a coating after staining .Like a shellac ,seal coat ! Or at least polyurathane!
Pages: [1]   Go Up