Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colors all washed out --need help/ideas  (Read 7761 times)

redgrouse

Colors all washed out --need help/ideas
« on: May 06, 2008, 09:22:41 pm »

In a spasm of activity, I recently installed Leopard (10.5.2), PS3, and the the Appeture 2.1 upgrade.  I then took a month off from printing anything and now I can't get anything to print remotely correctly.  I'm using an Epson 2400 with Epson Premium Lustre paper.  All prints (no matter from what application (PS3, PS, or even iPhoto) are completely washed out.  But the soft proof in both PS2 & PS3 shows them  as they should be.  They just come out utterly washed out.  I have recalibrated and reprofiled my monitor (Apple 23 HD).  I've tried to print old, successful prints and new, just converted ones --same result.  I've tried to print from PS2 and PS3.  I've re-read all my notes from (esp from Michael and Jeff's DVD). The one interesting item is that when I  print from PS and get to the regular Printer dialog box, if I click on the Preview button at that point, it will show a washed out image similar to what actually prints (but completely different from the soft proof).

What did I do?  How can I fix it? Sorry if this isn't in the right spot but it seemed better to ask here than in the Printer area?

Jeff N. (redgrouse)
Jeff Nielsen

peteh

• http://
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 02:13:02 am »

In a spasm of activity, I recently installed Leopard (10.5.2), PS3, and the the Appeture 2.1 upgrade.  I then took a month off from printing anything and now I can't get anything to print remotely correctly.  I'm using an Epson 2400 with Epson Premium Lustre paper.  All prints (no matter from what application (PS3, PS, or even iPhoto) are completely washed out.  But the soft proof in both PS2 & PS3 shows them  as they should be.  They just come out utterly washed out.  I have recalibrated and reprofiled my monitor (Apple 23 HD).  I've tried to print old, successful prints and new, just converted ones --same result.  I've tried to print from PS2 and PS3.  I've re-read all my notes from (esp from Michael and Jeff's DVD). The one interesting item is that when I  print from PS and get to the regular Printer dialog box, if I click on the Preview button at that point, it will show a washed out image similar to what actually prints (but completely different from the soft proof).

What did I do?  How can I fix it? Sorry if this isn't in the right spot but it seemed better to ask here than in the Printer area?

Jeff N. (redgrouse)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193997\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sounds like double color management to me. Let PHOTOSHOP MANAGE COLORS.DISABLE Printer Manages colors in Photoshop or what ever you print with.

peteh

• http://
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 02:16:10 am »

Sounds like double color management to me. Let PHOTOSHOP MANAGE COLORS.DISABLE Printer Manages colors in Photoshop or what ever you print with.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194043\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Could be wrong printer profile for the paper type in soft proofing or corupted profile.

redgrouse

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 07:02:01 am »

Could be wrong printer profile for the paper type in soft proofing or corupted profile.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194044\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I do have Photoshop managing colors AND have Disabled the printer color management.  Sorry, forgot to mention that.  Printer/paper profiles were the same as I've always used and are corerct, if they are not corrupted, for the 2400 with Lustre.  It sounds like double/conflicting color management to me too but I don't know how to fix or where to look....I've tried everything I know so far.

Jeff
Jeff Nielsen

tompappas

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 10:00:06 am »

I do have Photoshop managing colors AND have Disabled the printer color management.  Sorry, forgot to mention that.  Printer/paper profiles were the same as I've always used and are corerct, if they are not corrupted, for the 2400 with Lustre.  It sounds like double/conflicting color management to me too but I don't know how to fix or where to look....I've tried everything I know so far.

Jeff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194094\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jeff

Have you installed the new drivers for the 2400 for OS 10.5?

there was a lot of issues with the latest OS upgrade and printing.  my guess it will solve your problem.

Tom

redgrouse

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 01:53:10 pm »

Jeff

Have you installed the new drivers for the 2400 for OS 10.5?

there was a lot of issues with the latest OS upgrade and printing.  my guess it will solve your problem.

Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194115\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tom,

That makes complete sense and I'm an idiot for not thinking about new drivers!  I will try it tonight.  This is what comes of trying to upgrade too much software at one time...

jeff (Redgrouse)
Jeff Nielsen

redgrouse

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 09:34:01 pm »

Okay, I downloaded the new Epson 2400 driver for OSX 10.5.  But it changed nothing.  Prints still come out completely washed out.  I deleted driver and reinstalled but still the same.

The fact that the "preview" tab on on the Printer Dialog window shows a washed out image even though soft proofing in PS shows a normal, ready to print image seems meaningful to me....but I just don't know where to turn to find the conflict.

Any more help or ideas would be most appreciated.

jeff (redgrouse)
Jeff Nielsen

pixel wrangler

• http://www.homepage.mac.com/fastpics
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 11:47:31 pm »

Hi Jeff:

You say you took a month off from printing anything. That would lead me to think perhaps clogged print nozzle/s.

Have you done a nozzle check recently? May as well check alignment while you're at it.

Maybe you could make screen snaps of your PS color settings, and your print dialog boxes, just so we can double check everything.

HTH,

Ron

redgrouse

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 07:04:21 am »

Hi Jeff:

You say you took a month off from printing anything. That would lead me to think perhaps clogged print nozzle/s.

Have you done a nozzle check recently? May as well check alignment while you're at it.

Maybe you could make screen snaps of your PS color settings, and your print dialog boxes, just so we can double check everything.

HTH,

Ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194311\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I checked and cleaned nozzles, did an alignment.  Also tried to print from Glossy paper just in case the profile for the lustre was bad, but same result.

I took screen shots of both PS Print Preview box and then the Printer Dialog Box and have saved as a jpeg on my desktop. How do I get them into this forum?  do I just attach them to my post or drag them in somehow.

Jeff
Jeff Nielsen

francois

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 08:43:01 am »

How do I get them into this forum?  do I just attach them to my post or drag them in somehow.

Just use the "Choose File" button to select your file and then click the "Add This Attachment" button. Repeat this for each file.
Francois

redgrouse

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 09:08:04 am »

Okay thanks...I wasn't sure if that was the right way., here are the two screen shots of the PS Print with Preview Screen and the subsequent Printer Dialog Box.  

Jeff
Jeff Nielsen

redgrouse

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 09:19:05 am »

Maybe this will help.  I've attached two more screen shots.  One is the PS2 Soft Proof screen.  The other is the screen that I get when I hit Preview from the Printer Dialog box.  It somehow seems to me that this shows the "conflict" in color mgmt.  But if so, then where/how can I resolve it?

Thanks in advance..this is making me crazy.

jeff
Jeff Nielsen

redgrouse

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 10:06:54 am »

All Fixed!  Turns out that I had installed the new OS 10.5 drivers incorrectly.  Installed correctly now and it all works as it should.  Why is it always the simplest things???  Sorry to everyone on this forum for bothering all with my easily fixed problem but thanks to everyone for reading and helping.  I'll try to make my next problem more interesting and complex...at least I learned how to do screenshots...

Jeff
Jeff Nielsen

tompappas

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 10:17:53 am »

Okay thanks...I wasn't sure if that was the right way., here are the two screen shots of the PS Print with Preview Screen and the subsequent Printer Dialog Box. 

Jeff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194361\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are a couple of more things that I would look at.......

in the print with preview box in PS - try a rendering intent of Relative Colorimetric or Perceptual, and check the black point compensation tick box.

In the printer driver, check the third drop down menu - the one that shows "color matching" in your screen shot.  Go to the menu that says printer settings, and check your media type, resolution, etc.

then go to the drop down menu where you found printer settings and go to color management, and check "off" or "no color adjustment"

don't give up, you are really close.

Tom

redgrouse

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 06:21:24 pm »

There are a couple of more things that I would look at.......

in the print with preview box in PS - try a rendering intent of Relative Colorimetric or Perceptual, and check the black point compensation tick box.

In the printer driver, check the third drop down menu - the one that shows "color matching" in your screen shot.  Go to the menu that says printer settings, and check your media type, resolution, etc.

then go to the drop down menu where you found printer settings and go to color management, and check "off" or "no color adjustment"

don't give up, you are really close.

Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194378\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

tom,
Thanks, don't know how absolute rendering got checked.  Until I had the new driver installed correctly, I couldn't even get into color mgmt, media type.  But now all is well.  Thanks for your help.

Jeff
Jeff Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up