Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small spot light?  (Read 5275 times)

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
Small spot light?
« on: May 06, 2008, 04:03:28 pm »

Im looking for a spot light that projects a small enough beam to be use for accenting in smaller still life set ups.

I use profoto acute 2's , but I see that profoto now has an elinchrom adapter (maybe they always did?)       So ive been looking at the mini spot and the zoom spot.  Anyone using either of these?

How about the Profoto Multispot? I know they make a dedolight light add on but thats probably out of my budget  for the moment.

Any help is welcome.

Kyle

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
Small spot light?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 04:17:11 pm »

Kyle,

I use Schott-Fostec fiber optic light sources with several types of fiber optic bundles, including semi-rigid bifurcated bundles (sometimes called "goosenecks") which work quite nicely. I also have fiber optic ringlights which are very helpful in certain instances. The light sources have reostats (dimmers) and some of mine have an iris diaphragm for further control.

Color temp may be an issue for you, though there is some control via lamp options and the reostat, etc. If this sort of solution sounds like it would apply to your projects I'll try to elaborate if you like.

These run off of 110-120 or 240 VAC current, but are rather compact.

Dale

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
Small spot light?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 04:20:05 pm »

How about making a grid spot out of straws like they talk about over on Strobist to put on small flash units like the SB800?
CMurph

kingsize

Small spot light?
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 06:22:15 pm »

try Bacht. they will supply fresnel flash lamp bases pre-wired for different brands.

http://www.bacht.net/

See the SSP80

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
Small spot light?
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 08:50:59 pm »

try Bacht. they will supply fresnel flash lamp bases pre-wired for different brands.

http://www.bacht.net/

See the SSP80
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193960\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is identical to the multispot, I assume bacht is the oem for profoto's stick, strip and fresnels.

Im going to shoot them an email, hopefully save big by cutting profoto out of the picture!

Streetwise

• DavidAnderson.tv
Small spot light?
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 09:55:05 pm »

Kyle,

I use Schott-Fostec fiber optic light sources with several types of fiber optic bundles, including semi-rigid bifurcated bundles (sometimes called "goosenecks") which work quite nicely.

Dale
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193915\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dale, Where do you buy these in the US?

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Small spot light?
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 12:57:04 am »

Hey Kyle,
I forgot to mention that in another home-brew light project, I bought a Fresnel lens off of ebay that was about 12 inches square and I think used originally for projection TV. Cost was about $15.  The strobe behind that really made a tight light, but you have to use the glass cover over the flash tube otherwise you get a projection of the actual tube onto the model.   I think with a little work with masks over the Fresnel and a housing to hold it all, this could be a very inexpensive way to go.  Actually the Fresnel I have is about 1/4 inch thick but might fit in a gel holder.  To get the tightest light you have to kind of tune the distance of the strobe head to the lens.  

Hmmm this has gotten me fired up...maybe i'll play with this a bit more next time I'm in the studio.

Eric
Rolleiflex USA

Dale Allyn

Small spot light?
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 01:21:53 am »

Dale, Where do you buy these in the US?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193999\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have been very lucky in getting new or like new by trolling eBay, but I have purchased some components from lab/tech suppliers who specialize in research equipment. One can often buy certain bundles new as surplus on eBay and save a great deal. Some of this stuff is kind of pricey if ordered new from the dealers. (I paid nearly 2K to my dealer for a darkfield L.E.D. illuminator [not fiber optic] from Schott/Leica.)

Currently I have five or six fiber optic light sources which are the model DCR III or Ace II models. I got them for some microscopic work I do with my Leica MZ12 microscopes, but then as I collected many different types of fiber optic bundles, the other photo application opportunities became obvious to me. The bundles I have range from round, flexible 2mm diameter to over 10mm in both ridged and flexible up to 10 feet long with focusing lenses at the terminus; ring lights of various sizes; and some back-light diffused panels. Depending on configuration these can be very bright and I often use them on relatively low settings. Some of these items are designed for use in machine vision, etc.

To be honest, when I replied to Kyle's original post I was thinking he meant small still-life scenes (product shots, etc.) where these can be useful, but then later realized that he's likely working on something larger than I was envisioning. Still, these are quite useful in certain instances, especially close-up or macro applications or smallish still life scenes. They're nice to work with because they're cool.

If you'd like a couple of links to illustrate the models I use I'd be happy to find them. Schott has an online catalogue, and there are regional dealers.

Dale
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 01:52:32 am by DFAllyn »

Dale Allyn

Small spot light?
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 01:32:14 am »

As another option, I liked what Bill Atkinson showed as his most recent setup for his stone slab photos in LL Video Journal #16 (I think that's the right volume). He uses polarized lights, but also decided that the best "lenses" were some material he found at Home Depot. I liked the quality of the light that he seemed to achieve. He uses photo lights and otherwise "real" lighting equipment, but the diffuser which worked best for him was this H.D. product.

He discusses the exact lamp that he uses as well (the light bulb) which I found to be available on line at the big bulb suppliers in the U.S. I haven't been organized enough to order the components yet though.

Dale

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Small spot light?
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 02:02:41 am »

Sorry Kyle, I miss read what you wanted to do... was thinking you wanted something bigger...  and I think the others are on the right track with the fiber optic bundles.  I came across a site just the other day that sold large diameter fiber optic hose - up to 3/8 inch thick - which means that you could actually make your own inexpensive cable without having to spend a lot of time polishing the ends.   I think this might work well for directing light to really small areas.  scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Endglow.htm

I found this supplier by reading about a guy that made his own ring flash with fiber optic cable to duct the light from his cameras flash to a ring.    

Eric
Rolleiflex USA

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Small spot light?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 01:22:08 pm »

Im looking for a spot light that projects a small enough beam to be use for accenting in smaller still life set ups.

I use profoto acute 2's , but I see that profoto now has an elinchrom adapter (maybe they always did?)       So ive been looking at the mini spot and the zoom spot.  Anyone using either of these?

How about the Profoto Multispot? I know they make a dedolight light add on but thats probably out of my budget  for the moment.

Any help is welcome.
Kyle
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193911\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have tried mounting an old 24mm 35mm camera lens in the front of  snoot - stop down to control the output/image circle

Not sure that a wide lens was the thing - its what fitted the hole

There is a great difference, as I am sure you are all aware in having point light ie focussed by a lens compared to even the tighest snoot or grid..

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
Small spot light?
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 07:51:55 pm »

I recently had to shoot a bunch of car parts for an editorial job and rigged together a snoot-looking thing with black cine foil and standard Reynolds aluminum foil to create spotlights in small areas (I shot turbo parts - turbines, blow-off valves, electronic boost controllers). I took a sheet of black cine-foil, long enough to wrap around a Profoto Pro7 reflector, and taped to the back side of it a sheet of Reynolds aluminum foil. I wrapped the whole sheet around the base of the reflector with about a foot to spare at the end. Do a small crimp around the edge of the reflector so the whole thing is secure. With the extra length of the foil, I used a thick marker as a mold and wrapped the foil around it carefully, so that the shiny aluminum is fully showing inside the now-formed tube. I was able to light small areas up without too much spill and had about f/8 worth of light (pack was at about half power). Hopefully that explanation made sense.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up