Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide angle/Mamiya afd/Aptus 65  (Read 6496 times)

andybuk99

Wide angle/Mamiya afd/Aptus 65
« on: May 06, 2008, 05:31:44 am »

Hi all. I know a lot of you will answer straight away with Mamiya Sekor AF 28mm, but I don't know if I can warrant that on my next small interior job. Most of the time I shoot with longer lenses from the 45mm upwards. My question is how is the Mamiya 35mm lens (I could stitch 2 images if needed) and also I have heard about the Arsat 30mm.  I know I could rent the 28mm but I wonder if I can achieve similar with the either of the other 2 lenses, Any views or opinions.

Cheers
Andy

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 08:44:13 am »

From my results, the 35mm has barrel distortion, I have yet to really try and determine the amount.  I plan to get with the author of Ptlens and see if I can get him to create a profile.   The 35mm has some fall off in the corners, and it seems to be very dependent on the lens, some are better than others.  I would also agree that it's best range is around F10 to F11.  

The 28mm, is for me all over the board.  The 28mm is around 17mm in 645.  Mine has considerable distortion towards the edges, noticeable most in landscape work.  The falloff on this lens is harsh unlike the 35mm, it's almost like a line.  The falloff also has more distortion in it than the 35mm has.   You will also have alot of the same problems with barrel distortion on an interior shoot.  Mamiya has agreed to look at my lens based on some images I sent to them so mine may be just a bad example due to the amount of distortion I am seeing at the edges.  

Another lens to consider is the 50mm shift lens, if you can find one.  Effectively a 35mm lens on 645.  This lens can produce some very nice images and hold good details up to 15mm of shift, after this you get vignetting in the corners.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 11:04:15 am »

hi Andy,  I am in the process of deciding if i should get the 28mm too. at the moment i use the 35mm (old manual) and get rid of the distortion with LensFix, which has a profile for the 35mm distortion. works well -but i find it costs a little resolution/sharpness.
from what Paul has written above, I may decide to use my arsat 30mm more (instead of getting the 28mm).
 the arsat is realy quite sharp - best in the center but at the edge OK too. I use another little programm called Defish to defish it. Its angle of view is a lot wider than that of the 35mm.
the arsat has quite strong CA but getting rid of that is no problem at all. You can even decide to manualy defish it with PS (wrap) which leaves you with the option of only defishing the corners where you need straight lines. (corners that stay uncorrected then show round objects perfectly round and not in a spaceship-form).
best thing about the arsat - it only cost´s a few euros (a lot less than the mamiya 28mm)

stefan
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 01:16:53 pm by stefan marquardt »
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

stefan marquardt

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 11:08:29 am »

From my results, the 35mm has barrel distortion, I have yet to really try and determine the amount.  I plan to get with the author of Ptlens and see if I can get him to create a profile.  
Paul C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193772\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Paul,  
LensFix has a Profile for the 35mm lens - you can test the plugin (free)   and see if it fits your lens-copy (works on mine).  If i remember correctly, it also works as a lightroom-plugin.

stefan
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 11:17:15 am by stefan marquardt »
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 12:46:22 pm »

Stefan,

Thanks for the info.  I had looked at lensfix a while back, but they were Mac only, had hoped that they had switched but still only show Mac.  I am still all Windows.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

jonstewart

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 04:40:01 pm »

Hi all. I know a lot of you will answer straight away with Mamiya Sekor AF 28mm, but I don't know if I can warrant that on my next small interior job. Most of the time I shoot with longer lenses from the 45mm upwards. My question is how is the Mamiya 35mm lens (I could stitch 2 images if needed) and also I have heard about the Arsat 30mm.  I know I could rent the 28mm but I wonder if I can achieve similar with the either of the other 2 lenses, Any views or opinions.

Cheers
Andy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193743\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agree with the other posters here. I have both those other lenses, and like neither in particular. I have the Mamiya 24 Fisheye, which I've seen others suggest that it can be corrected with good effect, but haven't tried it myself yet.
Jon
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 04:41:27 pm by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

andybuk99

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 04:40:24 pm »

Thanks for the responses so far. Stefan, how do you find the Arsat? Do you have any sample images?

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 05:51:07 pm »

Hi all. I know a lot of you will answer straight away with Mamiya Sekor AF 28mm, but I don't know if I can warrant that on my next small interior job. Most of the time I shoot with longer lenses from the 45mm upwards. My question is how is the Mamiya 35mm lens (I could stitch 2 images if needed) and also I have heard about the Arsat 30mm.  I know I could rent the 28mm but I wonder if I can achieve similar with the either of the other 2 lenses, Any views or opinions.

Cheers
Andy
Andy, the 35 AF lens is a nice sharp competent lens. It's not sexy like the 28, but it gets the job done. It's one of my favorite lenses. Some say it's soft, but I think they may just have a bad copy (or else I got a good copy :-).

I have no doubt that the 28 is a bit sharper, but the 35 is sharp enough.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

andybuk99

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 06:09:23 pm »

Any hands on experience of the Arsat?

BobDavid

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 10:17:27 pm »

I recently used my 35mm manual focus Mamiya lens for an architectural shoot last week with a 39mp Hasselblad CF 39 back.

Even at f/11, the edges of the frame are disappointingly mushy/soft. From what I hear, the Hasselblad 28mm lens is far superior to the Mamiya version.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 12:50:32 am »

I recently used my 35mm manual focus Mamiya lens for an architectural shoot last week with a 39mp Hasselblad CF 39 back.

Even at f/11, the edges of the frame are disappointingly mushy/soft. From what I hear, the Hasselblad 28mm lens is far superior to the Mamiya version.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194002\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,

The Hassy is for H3 with lens corrections as part of that equation, it is not?

I had the 35mm and sold it. It was good, but because I upgraded from ZD to Aptus 65 no longer wide enough. Instead I got the 28mm; it is stellar. On my Aptus 65 it equals 22mm on 35mm terms.

Pentax 645 35mm is said to be sharper than the Mamiya 35, but... so far I have not come across someone willing to make adapter for me. The Pentax 33-55 would in that case also be an option, although perhaps less sharp than the Pentax 35mm.

I would not consider the Arsat 30mm, not very sharp per what I recall from reading I did months back. It is also a fisheye and as such not sufficient wide I think. I have the Mamiya 24mm manual focus fisheye. My impression is that it is far sharper than the Arsat, but perhaps not quite up to Mamiya 35mm, but feel free to correct me anyone. The Mamiya 24mm sometimes show up on Ebay.

Speaking of the Mamiya 50mm shift, there is also the Hartblei 45mm Superrotator, but reading about it sounds like it is about on pair with Mamiya 35mm.

Regards
Anders

stefan marquardt

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 03:25:30 am »

Stefan, how do you find the Arsat? Do you have any sample images?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193924\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had the arsat in my lens-cupboard for a year and never used it (i usualy use the sigma 12-24mm on the 5d for extrem wide angles but want to use my ZD more). only during the last days I begann to test it. my arsat is - even at the corners -  sharper than my (old manual) 35mm (which I feel isn´t a good copy). and its angle of view (even defished) much wider than the 5mm would sugest. I start to think that (for architecture/interior) it´s perhaps easier to completely defish the arsat, than to use a non-fisheye-lens with some more complex distortion which might be more difficult do correct.

I will try to find some test-images latter to post. But with most ukrain or russian lenses the variation between copies might be big. for the small price one can afford to buy a few lenses and only keep the best copy.

I think for landscape use the arsat is a very good solution.

another suggestion: for architecture exteriors i often use the mamiya shift with two (upwards shifted) frames which I stitch in PS. you get about the 35mm angle of view with more resolution, more sharpness and no need to correct perspective in PS.  

stefan

p.s. here are two pics from the arsat -just a quick view into the garden, raw-developer with sharpness on 6. the first is the full frame, the second a 100% crop, still distorted and CA not removed!.

[attachment=6461:attachment]
[attachment=6462:attachment]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 09:58:07 am by stefan marquardt »
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

BobDavid

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 10:04:48 am »

Hi,

The Hassy is for H3 with lens corrections as part of that equation, it is not?

I had the 35mm and sold it. It was good, but because I upgraded from ZD to Aptus 65 no longer wide enough. Instead I got the 28mm; it is stellar. On my Aptus 65 it equals 22mm on 35mm terms.

Pentax 645 35mm is said to be sharper than the Mamiya 35, but... so far I have not come across someone willing to make adapter for me. The Pentax 33-55 would in that case also be an option, although perhaps less sharp than the Pentax 35mm.

I would not consider the Arsat 30mm, not very sharp per what I recall from reading I did months back. It is also a fisheye and as such not sufficient wide I think. I have the Mamiya 24mm manual focus fisheye. My impression is that it is far sharper than the Arsat, but perhaps not quite up to Mamiya 35mm, but feel free to correct me anyone. The Mamiya 24mm sometimes show up on Ebay.

Speaking of the Mamiya 50mm shift, there is also the Hartblei 45mm Superrotator, but reading about it sounds like it is about on pair with Mamiya 35mm.

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194028\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Hassey 28 is exclusively for the H3 and H2F cameras. I'm thinking that buying an H2F and the 28mm is a few thousand dollars more than the Mamiya 28. So for an extra few thousand, you get a great lens and a terrific camera that has super advanced features. I'd keep my Mamiya kit for its 80, 150, and 120macro.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 04:38:43 pm »

Anders,

I also have tried to find an adatper to allow the Pentax 35mm FA to work on a Mamiya P645.  What I have been told so far is that an adapter won''t work as you would lose infinity focus.  Apparently the distance between the mount and film plane are the same on Mamiya and Pentax.  However it might be possible to have the actual mount changed out from Pentax to Mamiya.  I am considering that with my lens.  I need to ask SK Grimes if they could make the conversion.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Lester

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 05:13:48 pm »

Why do everyone say the Mamiya 35mm is a bad lens? I used my 35mm N manual focus all the time on my P45 for landscape and it is sharp all the way to the edge. Are there a lot of unsharp 35mm, out there or I just got lucky and have a sharp one? I read it all the time, how bad the 35mm Mamiya lens is and nobody say they got a good one. If I did not think the 35mm is sharp enough, I would not use it. I used to shoot 12x20 for landscape, before digital.

Cheers
Andy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193743\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

jonstewart

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 05:56:51 pm »

Why do everyone say the Mamiya 35mm is a bad lens?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194238\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, my 35AF is *very* 'different' at the corners, compared with the centre, and not in a good way :-).
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 08:16:21 am »

I concur about the Mamiya 35mm there is visible distortion and and it is not very sharp.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 08:57:11 am »

The older 35mm manual focus may be a better lens, I used to use one but with a zoerk adatper on my Canon's.  The 35mm I was writing about was the newer 35mm AF.  

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

woof75

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 06:36:09 pm »

The older 35mm manual focus may be a better lens, I used to use one but with a zoerk adatper on my Canon's.  The 35mm I was writing about was the newer 35mm AF. 

Paul C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wish they'd update the 35mm, it's such a useful lens but it is a week link in the line up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up