Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: LEAF: Here's what needs to improve on the AFi  (Read 14244 times)

ynp

• http://
LEAF: Here's what needs to improve on the AFi
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2008, 08:53:25 pm »

Rollei  version  of the Hy6 is being sold in Russia as well , with the eMotion unrevolving adapter and 45 degree (black) and WL finders.  

Sinar's firmware upgrader works with Rolleiflex.

Hy6 in Rolleiflex version is available in Germany. F&H does actually ship units.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

BJNY

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 09:02:17 pm »

It would be great if Leaf could figure out Bluetooth to iPod Touch (instead of to iPaq).  I'd love for color + exposure accurate 200ppi images to be seen remotely by an art director or 1st assistant (checking histogram + lighting).
Guillermo

Cfranson

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2008, 10:33:10 pm »

It would be great if Leaf could figure out Bluetooth to iPod Touch (instead of to iPaq).

Apple would have to allow that functionality in the iPod or iPhone before Leaf could do something. Currently, it's not there.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2008, 11:27:28 pm »

Apple would have to allow that functionality in the iPod or iPhone before Leaf could do something. Currently, it's not there.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm sure smarter people than me can answer this, but I thought that funcionalty would have to go through a wireless router and a program in the iphone, ipod to process the previews.

As it stands I'm sure someone could write the program in their sleep, good god they were hacking Iphones and writing programs 2 weeks after it was announced.  The router is another issue and you would have to carrry a few airport extremes hooked to either generators, ac power or an inverter, but I don't see why it can't be done on the Ipod, Iphone side.

right now it's what is coming from the camera that seems to be the issue, especially with meidum format as the previews are tiny and not very well processed, showing moire, pre noise reduction, etc.

JR

Ignatz_Mouse

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2008, 11:13:01 am »

Hy6 in Rolleiflex version is available in Germany. F&H does actually ship units.

I think I can remember reading here or there more than once about the "esoteric"  way the MFDB manufacturers usually offer "information" about their products... How is it possible that the official distributor of this camera couldn`t solve such a simple question like this? (I must add that after requiring this information about the Sinar/Leaf/Rollei I've got a phone call two weeks later and I'm still waiting today for a detailed budget... It could be that I'm not a full time professional or maybe they're selling too many cameras.... Any suggestion, comment, something to tell, Thierry? Thanks)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 11:15:56 am by Ignatz_Mouse »

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2008, 11:33:54 am »

Dear Ignatz_Mouse,

No comment from me on this other that it is not acceptable and that I shall check and follow-up with the responsible person.

Please PM the contact you had and other details.

Thanks,
Thierry

... I must add that after requiring this information about the Sinar/Leaf/Rollei I've got a phone call two weeks later and I'm still waiting today for a detailed budget... It could be that I'm not a full time professional or maybe they're selling too many cameras.... Any suggestion, comment, something to tell, Thierry? Thanks)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194139\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

newrooky

• http://www.brandonwaterman.com
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2008, 12:38:11 pm »

...I thought that funcionalty would have to go through a wireless router and a program in the iphone, ipod to process the previews.

right now it's what is coming from the camera that seems to be the issue, especially with meidum format as the previews are tiny and not very well processed, showing moire, pre noise reduction, etc.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194018\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Correct, right now the only feasible (cost and usability) way for the transfer to take place is via wifi and you would have to incorporate it into the digital back to send the file wirelessly.   Unless for some reason you wanted to shoot tethered and have a computer send the images to the iphone for viewing (?).  But either way, its not going to be fast enough for most anyone to find it acceptable during a shoot (at this point).  

And bluetooth would be wonderful but the throughput on the most current version stands at 3 Mbit/s (theoretical, not in use) and it isn't the most stable of connection.  

So pretty much everything you said is spot on and I doubt we will see a really fast and easy to use wireless solution until technology advances a little more even though people could figure out how to make the iphone usable.  

So yeah, tomorrow they will come out with something, but not today.
[span style='font-family:Geneva'][span style='color:gray']Brandon Waterman   -  Photo+[/span][/span]

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2008, 06:03:16 pm »

So yeah, tomorrow they will come out with something, but not today.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194172\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You're absolutely right. Look at the P1 wireless promise, It's abandoned as far as I can tell, but was used as a selling argument by both dealers and P1 themselves for quite som time before it all faded...

I'd also love to see WiFi included in the body, it's a fairly small chip that draws little power, and it must surely be perfect to send embedded .jpg's from the RAW files to handheld devices like phones and iPod's with wifi support.
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2008, 01:07:31 am »

You're absolutely right. Look at the P1 wireless promise, It's abandoned as far as I can tell, but was used as a selling argument by both dealers and P1 themselves for quite som time before it all faded...

I'd also love to see WiFi included in the body, it's a fairly small chip that draws little power, and it must surely be perfect to send embedded .jpg's from the RAW files to handheld devices like phones and iPod's with wifi support.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194244\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not a wirless expert or an IT guy, but in regards to medium format I think the issue with wifi'ing a medium format preview file to any kind of device, whether it be computer, Ipaq, or iphone is not so much the wi-fi, other than you need a some kind of wireless base station, but it's the fact medium format previews are pretty rough and unprocessed looking.

This part I've never really understood is how much does it add to the hardware and development costs to add a second processor dedicted to making simutaneous processed jpegs?

If you shoot a medium format back non tethered and show the image to an art director, then shoot a Nikon or Canon in the same manner, the AD will swear the Nikon has to be the better of the three cameras, just because that lcd is so amazing.

Regardless, I can't really overstate how good it would be to have hand holdable devices with a quality lcd that could be tossed out on location and the AD, stylist, etc. could just look down and see the images.

Sometimes I think everytime we take three streps forward we go one step back.

Early on with digital capture, using a Fuji S2,  we tethered through the video port an ntsc signal to a 9" sony monitor and though it wasn't  24" Eizo quality it was very good, allowed everyone to see easily, the tethering was tech proof and simple and you could even zoom into the image.

We even sent a wireless ntsc signal out to other monitors to see the effect and it worked, though the signal wasn't that reliable.

Still, how could that cheap little Fuji S-2 be so close and now we are still looking at tiny lcd's (even 3") or hardwired to a computer with a large monitor.

Now, not to go off topic, but what the hell happened to Fuji?  I would have thought that by now they would have a line of professional cameras, digital backs and full frame 35mm cameras.

Who really knows as much about color as Fuji, though instead they keep coming out with new films.

It really makes no sense to me.

JR

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2008, 06:11:58 am »

Now, not to go off topic, but what the hell happened to Fuji?  I would have thought that by now they would have a line of professional cameras, digital backs and full frame 35mm cameras.

Who really knows as much about color as Fuji, though instead they keep coming out with new films.

It really makes no sense to me.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194319\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They do have a line of Pro cameras, they are called Hasselblad outside of Japan, and Fuji GX645 in Japan. Except they are film only in Japan AFAIK.

Fuji are smart, they don't want to kill their cash-cow marriage business in Japan, so they are quietly constructing the replacement solution with some 35mm cameras tailored to marriage (no white blowout) and internal distribution of the cameras, the Pictro proofers, the Frontier volume systems etc.

When they finally decide that film is dead they will just start distributing the fully digital Hassies instead of the H bodies and bury the S series, is my guess.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Mitchell Baum

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2008, 08:31:31 pm »

Rune,

Thanks for your very informative comments.

I wonder if you have had any concerns about the fan slots for use in rain, fog, or even high humidity?

I understand you mostly use the AFI in nature. Do you feel it is rugged enough to hold up the outdoor use? Any special precautions?

Thanks again,

Mitchell

TechTalk

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2008, 12:24:05 am »

They do have a line of Pro cameras, they are called Hasselblad outside of Japan, and Fuji GX645 in Japan. Except they are film only in Japan AFAIK.

When they finally decide that film is dead they will just start distributing the fully digital Hassies instead of the H bodies and bury the S series, is my guess.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194335\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Fuji does not have a "line" of medium-format SLR cameras. Hasselblad does license Fuji the rights to sell, in a limited geographic market, a Fuji branded H1 made for them by Hasselblad in Sweden.

Hasselblad has never licensed Fuji to sell any other version of the H camera series except for the original H1. The H2/H2F and H3 series are exclusively sold by Hasselblad and I see no indication that they have any desire to license distribution under the Fuji brand in the future.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Rune Werner Molnes

• http://www.runemolnes.com
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2008, 02:58:36 am »

I wonder if you have had any concerns about the fan slots for use in rain, fog, or even high humidity?

I understand you mostly use the AFI in nature. Do you feel it is rugged enough to hold up the outdoor use? Any special precautions?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194469\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,

As long is you do not have rain falling directly into the fan slots, you should have no concerns. I use the camera in rain quite often, but carry it around in a raincover, then take it out for the shot, and then back in again. (I use a mini backpack raincover). In heavy rain,  I either wait for it to subside, or use my Canon backup.

I cannot think of any other special precautions for oudoors use of the AFi.

-

Mitchell Baum

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2008, 06:35:23 am »

Hi,

As long is you do not have rain falling directly into the fan slots, you should have no concerns. I use the camera in rain quite often, but carry it around in a raincover, then take it out for the shot, and then back in again. (I use a mini backpack raincover). In heavy rain,  I either wait for it to subside, or use my Canon backup.

I cannot think of any other special precautions for oudoors use of the AFi.

-
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194522\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Rune,

That's reassuring. I do pretty much the same thing with my M8 with no problems so far, but I always have some fear I'm making a very expensive mistake.

Beautiful images on your web site.

Best,

Mitchell

Rune Werner Molnes

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2008, 10:32:14 am »

Kudos to Leaf:

I have been talking on the phone today with two helpful Leaf representatives.

To keep it short, this was some of the things that came out of the conversation:

- I was told that they will develop new attachment parts for the neck strap, so that they do not interfere with the DB.

- A new comprehensive user manual will be distributed to all current and future owners of the AFi. (Has been in the works for some time).

- The upgraded firmware fixing the f- stop problems and exposure metering amoung other things, has been available for some time, they just have not informed the public about it. (It is currently only available through the Apple version of LC11, as a silent upgrade).

- Leaf will talk to the lens manufacturer about the issuses I mentioned with regards to the new Schneider AFD lenses.

- They are working on increasing battery capasity for those of us who mostly shoot un- tethered and outdoors.

- They also told me that the focusing point is in fact in the centre of the focusing screen. I have changed focusing screen to one which is more matte (still high-res) with a central split. Focusing is much easier with this one. Manual focusing with this screen is very precise.

I mentioned to them that it would be nice to have a (45 degree) viewfinder with a shutter mechanism to keep out extraneous light. (Similar to that of the 1- series Canons). And that it would not hurt if the viewfinder info could be easier seen.

It is assuring to know that Leaf is talking to their customers, and delivering solutions quickly when needed. If not to all, but some of the current minor issues.

Best Regards,

Rune Werner Molnes
www.runemolnes.com

FrançoisTT

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2008, 01:23:07 pm »

"I have changed focusing screen to one which is more matte (still high-res) with a central split... Manual focusing with this screen is very precise"

Please, which matte focusing screen ?

Regards. François

Rune Werner Molnes

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2008, 01:44:39 pm »

"I have changed focusing screen to one which is more matte (still high-res) with a central split... Manual focusing with this screen is very precise"

Please, which matte focusing screen ?

Regards. François
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195515\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rollei Super Bright High D focusing screen (#10772). It has a central split image, vertical and horizontal 645 crop lines, but no microprism round the split image..

You'll fint it at www.robertwhite.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up