Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saturation shift in DPP to PS transfer  (Read 3449 times)

ChrisS

Saturation shift in DPP to PS transfer
« on: May 05, 2008, 04:22:54 pm »

I have just transferred an image from Canon's Digital Photo Professional RAW processing software to Photoshop 7, using the DPP tool for this purpose, and the saturation of the file on the monitor in PS is clearly greater than in DPP. Both applications are set to use AdobeRGB. The shift is from RAW to TIFF. Why would this change in saturation happen?

Chris

Panopeeper

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 04:43:38 pm »

In DPP: Tools-->Preferences-->Colot matching settings

Is the same monitor profile specified, which you are using in the system?
Gabor

ChrisS

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 05:16:48 pm »

In DPP: Tools-->Preferences-->Colot matching settings

Is the same monitor profile specified, which you are using in the system?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193651\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Under DPP's CMS I had sRGB, which I've now chaged to the Apple Display that I'm using. I hoped that would do it, but I exported the file to PS again and it was the same - increased saturation. Should I be selecting the display in PS in the same way as DPP? I can't find an option in PS Preferences.

Panopeeper

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 05:26:45 pm »

I think PS7 uses the system's profile.

You mentioned, that PS is set to use AdobeRGB. Is the *working space* too Adobe RGB?
Gabor

ChrisS

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 05:40:02 pm »

Yes, when I said it was set to aRGB, I meant that I had selected aRGB under Working Spaces. Under Colour Management Policies I have selected Preserve Embedded Profiles. Does that help?

Panopeeper

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 05:56:13 pm »

Preserve Embedded Profiles is ok.

I guess you need the advice of someone, who knows PS better than I do. This should not be difficult, as my knowledge of PS is limited to a few areas.
Gabor

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 11:48:25 pm »

Chris, what happens if you set the working space in DPP to Adobe RGB or Wide Gamut RGB? Adjustment menu -> Work Color Space -> Adobe RGB / Wide Gamut RGB.
Eric Chan

ChrisS

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 03:54:15 am »

At the moment it's in Adobe RGB. Should I try Wide Gamut to see if it's different when I transfer to PS?

One thing that might really help is to know where DPP places the TIFF files it creates when transferring to PS.
I've done searches throughout the computer and can't find them. It's very strange. When I try 'Save As' in PS, the default location is a folder called "Digital Photo Professional", but the only folders of that name on the computer belong to the application and contain no images. Yet somewhere there is a folder that has a number of files I've converted from DPP to PS. (PS allows me to open them in Open Recent.) If I could find the ones that DPP has made, I could delete them, and start the transfer process again in the knowledge that it is not just defaulting to the old version before I changed CMS from sRGB to the Monitor Profile, as Panopeeper suggested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up