Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorMunki updated software  (Read 4279 times)

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
ColorMunki updated software
« on: May 05, 2008, 03:42:49 pm »

I've just seen that there is now updated ColorMunki Software now available.

I just updated it via the ColorMunki application...

This is supposed to fix various Photoshop plugin issues and other assorted crashes :-)

If this one works fine then I'll finally get to try out some more detailed testing... fortunately this coincides with Epson UK sending me a printer (and ink and paper) to try out ;-)
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 07:02:32 pm »

I've just seen that there is now updated ColorMunki Software now available.

How? There's the lame "Check for updates" that take you to a web page, they have absolutely nothing that tells you its new, the version number, the data updated.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 07:50:46 pm »

How? There's the lame "Check for updates" that take you to a web page, they have absolutely nothing that tells you its new, the version number, the data updated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193671\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes I noticed that earlier today.

I had a mail from X-rite saying that V1.0.2 was now available and I checked again from within the application.

Lo and behold, a new version.

No release notes or the likes AFAIK, but here are the notes from within the Mac installer

3. Known Issues

* During the monitor patch measurement procedure in the Profiling application, if the device is not onscreen or if it should fall from the screen, the application may not detect that the device is not reading the correct color values.  Should this situation occur, click the cancel button if available and restart the procedure.

* After performing a Software Update from within the ColorMunki Photo application, you may need to restart the application for the changes to take effect.

The s/w requires a restart

* Files exported from the ColorMunki Photo application cannot be double clicked to be opened in the associated application.  You will need to load them using the Swatch or Color Library load features and then select the correct file within the target software.

* If you use the Synchronize option (checkbox) in the Photo Color Picker and your palettes are not being loaded into Adobe Photoshop, restarting Photoshop may fix this issue.
bye for now -- Keith

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 07:59:42 pm »

Yes I noticed that earlier today.
I had a mail from X-rite saying that V1.0.2 was now available and I checked again from within the application.

They must like you <g>. I got nothing.

That the web page lacks all the useful info I suggested shows again, X-Rite doesn't have their act together in terms of software and their web page.

The s/w requires a restart

I hate that.

There's still no way I'm having anything to do with the AppSetter.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 08:00:59 pm »

one quick thing I noticed - the PS plugin is re-installed, but when you go to the PS (Mac CS3) plugin info menu, the plugin is still incapable of returning any version info.

Thought that bit was covered in plugin-writing 101 ;-)
bye for now -- Keith

Scho

• http://photos.schophoto.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 08:21:33 pm »

I installed 1.02 yesterday evening and received an email from xrite support today telling me that the CS3 conflict had been fixed in this new release.  Don't really care now because I disabled the ColorTray and removed the plugin from the CS3 plugins folder.  I haven't noticed any other changes that relate to profiling functions.  Also no new version notes or comments with the download.

almeck

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 08:24:55 pm »

one quick thing I noticed - the PS plugin is re-installed, but when you go to the PS (Mac CS3) plugin info menu, the plugin is still incapable of returning any version info.

Thought that bit was covered in plugin-writing 101 ;-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193679\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have been trying (via Help/Check for Updates in the CM software, good luck trying to get there from the main site) to get the download, but things hang up after clicking on the Windows download link, and then, eventually, I get some sort of time out page.

In some ways I'm not looking forward to getting through, as I assume it's another 300 MB download!

ostonica

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 10:44:47 pm »

I have been trying (via Help/Check for Updates in the CM software, good luck trying to get there from the main site) to get the download, but things hang up after clicking on the Windows download link, and then, eventually, I get some sort of time out page.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193685\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The same thing kept happening to me. But, by accident, I found that if I did not cancel out of the download (running XP) but started another instance of the download, the first download started up again carring on from where it had stopped. I cancelled out of the second d/l of course.

This was my first install, the CM arrived today, but I saw that there was an advanced option now that allowed setting contrast and brightness. I used the native WP. But I did not get the same brightness level on my dual monitors. OK to live with though.

Jim

almeck

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 11:31:19 pm »

The same thing kept happening to me. But, by accident, I found that if I did not cancel out of the download (running XP) but started another instance of the download, the first download started up again carring on from where it had stopped. I cancelled out of the second d/l of course.

This was my first install, the CM arrived today, but I saw that there was an advanced option now that allowed setting contrast and brightness. I used the native WP. But I did not get the same brightness level on my dual monitors. OK to live with though.

Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193708\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I did manage to get through, and am waiting for (no doubt several more) hours over DSL to get the latest version.  When you say the latest version allows setting brightness, do you mean setting monitor brightness in cd/m^2?

ostonica

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 12:32:29 am »

When you say the latest version allows setting brightness, do you mean setting monitor brightness in cd/m^2?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193712\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is no setting to set a specific value. I get prompts to set the contrast and brightness by matching a slider to a specified point,  but I cannot get an OK (green tick) setting using the hardware controls and if I use the nvidia control program to set contrast and brightness, I get awful results on one monitor. I'll try again tomorrow.

Jim

ostonica

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 12:57:18 pm »

I have a problem getting the version 1.02 to handle the settings in the advanced mode. I have an Nvidia GeoForce 8500GT with a VGA and DVI output. I can contrl the brightness/contracts on the monitors either with hardware controls or with an Nvidia control panel. With the hardware controls, I can never get the green "tick". But if I use the Nvidia controls panel I can get a green tick, but the resulting profile is awful.

My conclusion is that I should ONLY use the hardware controls to set contrast and brightness. I have looked for a way to restore the nvida controls to factory default, with without any luck.

Am I right in thinking that ONLY hardware controls should be used in the Advanced settings of ColorMunki. Would I have better success with a second Geoforce 8500 card for the second monitor or a new card with dual DVI?

Jim
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 12:58:52 pm by ostonica »

almeck

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 02:16:41 pm »

I have a problem getting the version 1.02 to handle the settings in the advanced mode. I have an Nvidia GeoForce 8500GT with a VGA and DVI output. I can contrl the brightness/contracts on the monitors either with hardware controls or with an Nvidia control panel. With the hardware controls, I can never get the green "tick". But if I use the Nvidia controls panel I can get a green tick, but the resulting profile is awful.

My conclusion is that I should ONLY use the hardware controls to set contrast and brightness. I have looked for a way to restore the nvida controls to factory default, with without any luck.

Am I right in thinking that ONLY hardware controls should be used in the Advanced settings of ColorMunki. Would I have better success with a second Geoforce 8500 card for the second monitor or a new card with dual DVI?

Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193872\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jim:

I think you are correct when you say only the monitor's hardware controls should be used to change the brightness and/or contrast.  I think that using the video card's utility may actually mess around with the LUT (which might be why you get lousy profiles after having done that).

I haven't installed 1.02 yet, but I had the same situation with not being able to get the green tick with the original sw rev.  Xrite Support said don't worry, let the Ambient Light setting take care of things, but I don't use that.  I have an Apple Cinema CD 20", which really has only one hardware setting (which controls "Brightness", the screen's backlight intensity).  I set it at what seems "reasonable", and then adjust my light box light intensity to match as close as I can (home-made, about $400 parts cost).

I use my second monitor only for PS's UI elements, so i don't care if it's calibrated or not (I just kill the occasional CM warning that appears concerning the 2nd monitor).

Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up