Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Splitting HD's  (Read 2935 times)

D. King

Splitting HD's
« on: May 04, 2008, 07:16:22 pm »

Everything was fine when I was using only my C drive to work on images.  Now I have installed a second HD (drive D, natch) and want to put some of the working files on one drive and some on the other.  

Working on a PC the LR setup I have is as follows:

MASTER PICTURE DIRECTORY

........A) Level Sub Directory (general place/date of the shoot, etc.)

...................B) Level Sub Directory's (specific dates, places, subjects, etc.)

But here's the rub:  If I want an A Level Sub Directory which points to files on my D drive I can't get the B level files to import into it.  They insist on going into the A level area.  If that's not clear, this is how it turns out:

MASTER PICTURE DIRECTORY

..........New B Level import #1

..........New B Level import #2 etc.

..........A) Level Sub Directory

If I drag and drop the errant B level imports into the A level directory the files are physically moved from the D drive to the C drive.  

I expect there's something painfully obvious I'm doing wrong but I don't know what it it.  

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:19:43 pm by D. King »

D. King

Splitting HD's
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 03:01:50 pm »

Everything was fine when I was using only my C drive to work on images.  Now I have installed a second HD (drive D, natch) and want to put some of the working files on one drive and some on the other. 

Working on a PC the LR setup I have is as follows:

MASTER PICTURE DIRECTORY

........A) Level Sub Directory (general place/date of the shoot, etc.)

................... Level Sub Directory's (specific dates, places, subjects, etc.)

But here's the rub:  If I want an A Level Sub Directory which points to files on my D drive I can't get the B level files to import into it.  They insist on going into the A level area.  If that's not clear, this is how it turns out:

MASTER PICTURE DIRECTORY

..........New B Level import #1

..........New B Level import #2 etc.

..........A) Level Sub Directory

If I drag and drop the errant B level imports into the A level directory the files are physically moved from the D drive to the C drive. 
I expect there's something painfully obvious I'm doing wrong but I don't know what it it. 

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193485\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perhaps I should have added the word, HEEEELLLLLLLLLLP!

Thanks in advance.

Farmer

Splitting HD's
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:03:37 pm »

Perhaps I should have added the word, HEEEELLLLLLLLLLP!

Thanks in advance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194205\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve.

Do you want to move all your current files into a new directory structure?  Bridge might do the trick for you, otherwise Downloader Pro from Breeze Systems would be really useful.  Of course you can do it using command line like xcopy but that requires a bit more work and understanding of what's going on.

Or, is it some file movement process that you want to achieve when working in LR?

The directory structure you're specifying doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.  I also don't understand why you'd split the data over C and D rather than just have it on D.

Can you give an actual directory listing to show the real structure and explain your process for deciding what goes where?
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up