Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem editing Color Munki profiles with Kodak sw  (Read 1858 times)

almeck

Problem editing Color Munki profiles with Kodak sw
« on: May 04, 2008, 04:03:25 pm »

As reported by others, Color Munki seems to do a very nice job of creating printer profiles.  However, as has been the case with other profiles I’ve had made, I’m trying to edit the Device to PCS table in the profile (the A2B table, I believe) to get a better soft proof representation in Photoshop of what the printer actually produces.

I use Kodak’s Custom Color Tools, CCT (for the PC, version 3.0), which operates via Import/Export in PS, and it has worked on all profiles I have, including custom Eye One profiles (an Xrite product).  Basically, with this software, you:

1. Convert a test image’s profile to the printer profile you’re going to be editing (then save the image).  Having done this, what you see in PS (w/o soft proofing turned on) is exactly (I think) what you’d see if you viewed the image *with* soft proofing turned on (using that printer profile).  

2. You then Import it back into PS via Kodak’s CCT, which adds a small strip of many colors on the bottom of the image.

3. You then color-adjust the image from within PS to better match a print of the test image, using most of the familiar color commands (those that affect color globally).

4. Finally, you export it via CCT, which knows what’s been changed by examining the colors in the added strip, and then creates a new, ICC profile that reflects your changes.

The problem: all works fine until I reach the Export step, whereupon CCT seems to read the changes all right, but causes a PS-shutdown error at the last step when the newly created profile is saved to disc (and it never gets saved).

Suspecting that CCT has trouble reading the test image’s Color-Munki-created embedded profile, I examined the original CM-generated printer profile using Chromix ColorThink, and discovered that, among other things, the profile’s name field (not the file name, but its internal name) contains what appears on my PC to be several lines of Japanese characters (which ColorThink claims are illegal in this field).  I overwrite these characters with the profile’s filename and extension, and ColorThink seems happy.

Hoping to start the process all over again, I try to convert the test image to this modified profile, but now, PS doesn’t “see” this name-modified profile as being available for conversion to!  I’m guessing that PS doesn’t recognize it as a valid profile anymore (I have verified that it’s actually in the correct folder, “…/Color” on my PC).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up