Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: photograpy on aluminium  (Read 6973 times)

neal1740

photograpy on aluminium
« on: May 04, 2008, 03:16:17 pm »

at art chicago last weekend thee were 8 feet by 4 feet photographs on aluminum how is it done

rdonson

photograpy on aluminium
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 03:53:15 pm »

at art chicago last weekend thee were 8 feet by 4 feet photographs on aluminum how is it done
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure about that particular size but you might want to check out [a href=\"http://www.booksmartstudio.com/services.php?section=65&a=77]Booksmart Studio.[/url]
Regards,
Ron

neal1740

photograpy on aluminium
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 11:24:57 am »

I'm not sure about that particular size but you might want to check out Booksmart Studio.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193467\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

neal1740

photograpy on aluminium
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 12:35:04 pm »

I'm not sure about that particular size but you might want to check out Booksmart Studio.

russell a

• www.russarmstrong.com
photograpy on aluminium
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 03:37:47 pm »

For several years the Durham Press has published photographer Ray Charles White's work on aluminum.  They have used a silk screening type process on specially coated anodized aluminum plates.

http://www.durhampress.com/white/index.html

deanwork

photograpy on aluminium
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 07:54:23 pm »

You can use Epson inkjet printers, and probably Canon, with HPZ the path is not straight so I would wouldn't go there with it. I will be doing some this week for the first time on an Epson 9600.   I've already bought my materials. You can buy the pre-coated sheets, that are very nice from BookSmart studio. They offer icc profiles for Epson printers. I would order the 8.5x11 samples of the various types they offer. It is all expensive. They tell me they are about to offer very large sizes soon. Right now their largest is 20x24. This is very pricey stuff though. You need a PK ink, then you need so protect them with at the mimium a Premier Art type coating to keep  ink from scratching off.

My procededure will be to spray on an INK AID receptor coating with a HPLV spray gun on big aluminum sheets I bought myself.

We have been discussing this on the Wide Format Inkjet yahoo list. It has also been discussed on the Epson Large Format yahoo list as well. You can search there for past posts.

Before this artist used a lot of liquid emulsion on aluminum that can be handled like darkroom papers with developer and fixer, etc. A woman named Deborah Luster did a lot of it about 10 years ago. Nice work.

john

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193465\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
photograpy on aluminium
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 09:32:35 am »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's a fellow here (Louisville, KY, USA metro area) who does this. He does it via dye transfer onto prepared substrates such as aluminum, MDF, or masonite, using a specially modified wide-carriage Epson inkjet. This process has been used for years by the signage industry for point-of-sales displays, sandwich boards, placards, etc; Dan's advance was to get the whole process color-managed so that color-corrected photographic reproduction is possible.

His link:

[a href=\"http://www.uniqueimagingconcepts.com]http://www.uniqueimagingconcepts.com[/url]
michael sebast

Scott Martin

• Onsight
photograpy on aluminium
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 10:17:08 am »

UV curable machines (from VuTek, Gahdi, Inca, Durst, etc) can print directly onto regular, uncoated metals, glass, gatorboard, wood - literally just about anything. The solvent inks are thrown onto the materiel and are immediately "fried" (cured) onto the surface with insanely bright UV light sources. The end product is extremely durable, extremely lightfast (excellent for outdoor signage) and has a surprisingly good color gamut. B&W prints on metal are particularly attractive, IMO.

The quality of the calibration and profile obviously makes a big difference and some shops take much more care than others with this. The dot's are pretty large (15-20 picoliters) and the resolution on the latest printers is in the 600 to 1040dpi range. The number of passes makes the biggest difference in quality and goes a long way toward smoothing out an otherwise course dot pattern. The specs may sound bad but for large/grand format prints on metal the quality and price is pretty hard to beat. Any shop that does UV curable should go up to 4x8 foot sheets. I've often encouraged fine art printmakers to consider this often overlooked process for grand format printing.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

neal1740

photograpy on aluminium
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 03:59:57 pm »

thank you very much neal

mmurph

• http://
photograpy on aluminium
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 10:26:37 pm »

I bought some of the metals from Book Smart Studio to test. I also have a **lot** of aluminum sheets in the garage from another project, along with some InkAid.

Any suggestions on what types of images work best on aluminum?  I tried some "straight" photographic color images, but they didn't interact with the aluminum at all - just another substrate.  

The most interesting images that I have seen on aluminum appear to be collages, similar to a silk screen that builds up an image in layers and lets the aluminum show through. Any other ideas/suggestions on images to try?

Sorry to miss Art Chicago this year. I usually go, I didn't realize it was so early.

Best,
Michael
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 10:27:34 pm by mmurph »
Pages: [1]   Go Up