Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RZ67 Pro II now........  (Read 7540 times)

Frank Doorhof

• http://
RZ67 Pro II now........
« on: May 04, 2008, 04:30:17 am »

I took the liberty to buy something for my birthday and with the current dollar/euro we Europeans can score some nice deals online

I bought a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II with
WLF
120 BK
180 4.5z lens
110 2.8 lens

The convertor to fit my leaf aptus on the setup will also be delivered of course, although I also plan to shoot film with this setup.

I will be using the 645AFD/II for most of my work but the RZ will also be used alot in the studio I think (love the feel of manual camera).

So the question in short, which lenses to hunt for.
Taking into account the crop of the Aptus 22.

ixpressraf

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 06:17:28 am »

I do have the 50n, 65, 90, 110, 140macro,150, 180, 250mm and some self-modified micro and tilt lenses. All Mamiya RZ glass is great. You will also find the RZII much easier to focus than the 645AF.
i use an Ixpress 96c and 132C with HV adapter and a self modified leaf RZ to HV plate. It works great, no shimming or focus recalibration was needed. I have now bought a mamiya RZ ixpress adapter to try multishot on the RZ( i'm not sur if that wil work because of all the moving parts between shots but it will be worth to try.
Go for the latest versions of the 50 and 65mm lenses, they are perfect.tele you already have, maybe a 140 macro or better the 150mm wich is wonderfull for portraiture.
best regards, Raf

flashfredrikson

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 06:23:51 am »

The 90 (which should make for a nice allround lens with your back) and the 150 always have been my favourites in the film days, never tried them with a db though...

Snook

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 09:28:18 am »

The 90 (which should make for a nice allround lens with your back) and the 150 always have been my favourites in the film days, never tried them with a db though...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193415\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Not sure the focus is going to be easier than with the AFDII.. especially since it is auto focus..
But he it is a nice camera..
I am still trying to find the right focusing screen as I find it a pain in the butt to focus with the RZII.
If you are even a hair off focus.. that Digital back will show it right away.. be-careful..:+] But enjoy.
the 140 macro is suppose to be the best lens...
Snook

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 11:33:34 am »

I have more than once considered buying a new RZ so I am a bit jealous! Is is practical for you to buy from KEH.com? They have great prices especially on the lenses marked as 'Bargain'. And I have bought a number of bargain lenses from them and each was close to like new.

I took the liberty to buy something for my birthday and with the current dollar/euro we Europeans can score some nice deals online

I bought a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II with
WLF
120 BK
180 4.5z lens
110 2.8 lens

The convertor to fit my leaf aptus on the setup will also be delivered of course, although I also plan to shoot film with this setup.

I will be using the 645AFD/II for most of my work but the RZ will also be used alot in the studio I think (love the feel of manual camera).

So the question in short, which lenses to hunt for.
Taking into account the crop of the Aptus 22.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193411\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

RobertJ

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 04:45:30 pm »

Watch out for old versions of lenses.

The new versions of the popular lenses are:
50mm "ULD", 110mm 2.8 "W", 140mm "M Macro LA", 180mm "W-N".

The "ULD", "W", "M-LA", "W-N" designations for the respective lenses are the new versions.  The old ones don't have these names.

The APO lenses, (210 APO and up) have never been changed.

Just something to look for if you're buying USED.

Frank Doorhof

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 04:53:32 pm »

The 180 is W-n
The 110 f2.8 had nothing behind it.

I hope to receive it half this week and the plate for the Leaf also so I can start experimenting.
It will probarbly not replace the 645AFD/II which I still love alot, but I find myself more Manual focussing the system than using the AF so I guess it will not be a real change in workflow.

sid_v

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 11:59:29 pm »

Watch out for old versions of lenses.

The new versions of the popular lenses are:
50mm "ULD", 110mm 2.8 "W", 140mm "M Macro LA", 180mm "W-N".

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193475\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For t-1000: i have an rb67 and use the newer 50mm lens quite often and i notice CA probs in high contrast areas. Even the new design for RB is not "ULD". So how do u find ur RZ 50mm ULD regarding CA problems?

sid.

Christopher Arnoldi

• http://www.arnoldi-design.com
RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 11:11:31 am »

I had the RZ 1 with the Sinarback 54H and lenses 65 mm, 90 mm, 110 mm, 127 mm, 180 mm 360 mm (not the APO) and 500 mm (not the APO).

The 90/110/127/180 were all outstanding. I tested them against the Sinaron Digital 120 Macro and other Digitar lenses and there was no visible difference

The 65 (with no floating elements) was ok.
The 50 mm for RB (from a friend) was not so good
The 360 mm was just o.k.
The 500 mm was not so good

sid_v

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 12:03:05 pm »

I had the RZ 1 with the Sinarback 54H and lenses 65 mm, 90 mm, 110 mm, 127 mm, 180 mm 360 mm (not the APO) and 500 mm (not the APO).

The 90/110/127/180 were all outstanding. I tested them against the Sinaron Digital 120 Macro and other Digitar lenses and there was no visible difference

The 65 (with no floating elements) was ok.
The 50 mm for RB (from a friend) was not so good
The 360 mm was just o.k.
The 500 mm was not so good
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193828\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Anyone uses/used the 37mm on RZ? How does that compare to the others esp the 50mm?

TMARK

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 10:32:44 am »

Frank,

Which adapter are you using for an afd mount back to an RZ?  

Thanks,

TM

Frank Doorhof

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 10:52:09 am »

@Tmark,
I ordered the plate from Calumet.
It's a standard plate to fit your AFD leaf back to the RZ.

It was the only real option for me because I wanted to use it on both.

I was planning on using the RZ on some occasions and not much but I did shoot a roll of film through it today and must say that I'm hooked.
It's amazing to work this way, and the viewfinder is stunning, it's a little getting used to the flip screen but that is a very small obstacle, especially since I'm switching alot today between the 645AFD/II with the Leaf and the RZ with film.

I'm just hoping that the film will come back properly, focussing is totally different than with the 645 so I would rather have tested that with my digital back, but the plate still has to come in.

In error they send me a 90mm 3.5 instead of the 110 f2.8 I mailed them about the mistake (I'm also missing the blackframe) and hope they will correct it because the 110 f2.8 was something I really wanted to use with available light.

I will report back when the plate is in, but what I can say now is that it's an incredible kick to work with the RZ, and that's something that also counts

Snook

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 11:27:59 am »

Definitely get the 110 2.8 for low light.. you won't regret it..
Hope they fix it for you
Snook
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 11:33:48 am by Snook »

TMARK

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 11:32:11 am »

@Tmark,
I ordered the plate from Calumet.
It's a standard plate to fit your AFD leaf back to the RZ.

It was the only real option for me because I wanted to use it on both.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194131\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Frank.  I've used an RZ for as long as I can remember.  Most non-beauty/fashion editorials I've shot over the past few years were with the RZ.  I've shot it with an A75 and an A17 and loved it, but not as much as I love Portra 400NC.  In any case, I might buy the Leaf adapter and get the Kapture Group one shot cable for my P30.  Phase does not offer an afd to RZ solution unless you buy an RZ Pro2D.  The Pro2D's are hard to find used and are expensive new, and I have three RZ bodies already. Phase and Mamiya should consider building an adapter that allows afd mount backs to work on RZ Pro and Pro II bodies with cables.  I have a feeling its not a priority at Phase or Mamiya, which means another work around.

RobertJ

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 09:48:33 pm »

Phase and Mamiya should consider building an adapter that allows afd mount backs to work on RZ Pro and Pro II bodies with cables.  I have a feeling its not a priority at Phase or Mamiya, which means another work around.

Actually, on Mamiya's website, they say they are building adapters for the ZD back for the RZ and RZII (the IID adapter is already available as we all know).

Of course, the website has said the same thing for a long time now.  It has said they will be released in "End of 2007/early 2008" since October 2007, so we'll have to see.

TMARK

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 10:21:33 pm »

Actually, on Mamiya's website, they say they are building adapters for the ZD back for the RZ and RZII (the IID adapter is already available as we all know).

Of course, the website has said the same thing for a long time now.  It has said they will be released in "End of 2007/early 2008" since October 2007, so we'll have to see.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194293\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've been waiting!  I asked MAC about this last December and the response was "we're working on it".

David K

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 12:58:26 am »

Bunch of RZ stuff right here on the BS forum, including the 50 ULD.  The seller is very reputable.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=25018

RobertJ

RZ67 Pro II now........
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 01:49:22 am »

"We're working on it."

That actually sounds like good news to me, since Mamiya has been releasing new products left and right the past few months.

Still waiting though...
Pages: [1]   Go Up