Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DS3 WB and focus --update--  (Read 1856 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
1DS3 WB and focus --update--
« on: May 04, 2008, 03:46:36 am »

In a thread below questioning the WB accuracy of my new 1DS3, I had a problem with the WB accuracy when shooting indoors under screw-in type florescent bulbs as the image appeared on the LCD.

After reading posts in the other thread, I did some trouble shooting and retesting.

White Balance
1. Cleared all camera settings per posters suggestion.
2. Loaded new firmware that came out just a few days ago.
3. Tested WB in same scenario--perfect looking in LCD.
4. Turned on a different set of "tube" fluorescents and shot again--perfect looking in LCD.
5. Opened in ACR and the WB was near perfect.

The tests were done in AWB only. I found that if you manual adjust for WB you can get anotehr 500 out of the lower end, which is not available in either AWB or the "florescent" setting.

Focus Accuracy:

1. Used the moire pattern test to check focus accuracy on all three of my lenses, max aperture.
2. 70-200 with 1.4 extender at 100mm and 200mm: -0-.
3. 70-200 100mm and 200mm: -0-.
4. 24-70 at 70mm: -0-. (This lens was previously tuned by Canon factory.)
5. 16-35mm at 35mm: -0-.

Thanks to all who helped.

Really starting to love this camera the more I shoot and become familiar with it. I think Canon did I good job of incorporating options and function that professionals wanted in the update to the MKII.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 03:54:48 am by dwdallam »

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
1DS3 WB and focus --update--
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 06:56:25 am »

I was just reading on the FM forums that the jpg iamge shown on the LCD when shooting RAW with the 1DS3 is NOT as accurate with WB as it is with the 5D and 1DS2--so that was what I was seeing. It's good to know I wasn't crazy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up