Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Calibration - Fors Script.  (Read 2942 times)

Denis de Gannes

Camera Calibration - Fors Script.
« on: May 03, 2008, 10:41:35 am »

Many months ago I ran the "Fors Script" in PS CS to obtain calibration for my Olympus E300 (support was provided for this camera in ACR 2.4) and this has worked well for me in Lightroom.

I recently purchased an Olympus E510 (support provided in ACR 4.3.1) and need to produce calibration settings for this camera.

a. Is it necessary/important that the script be run in PS CS3 bearing in mind that LR/ACR 4.4.1 has updated camera profiles?.

b. Would I get the same result if I converted the .orf to .dng with the latest dng converter and run the script in PS CS?.

c. Is it advisable to run a new calibration for the E300?.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 12:53:02 pm »

Denis-

You need to generate new Calibration settings for each camera you use. Some people even go so far as to Calibrate different lenses; if you're using good glass IMHO this is overkill. Use either your best lens or the lens you shoot with most.

If you're going to process a native camera raw file using Fors ACR Calibrator script, the criteria for what version of ACR you need to use is support for the camera. In other words, you need to use at minimum the most recent version of ACR that includes support for your camera; depending on the version this may indeed require CS3.

But I like your idea of using DNG Converter in place of upgrading ACR and in theory this should work. It may make a difference whether or not you choose to embed the original camera raw in the DNG; I'd leave it out for this.

During the DNG conversion no changes are made to the image data. So you should be able to convert from native camera raw to DNG and use that to run the script.

No need to do a new Calibration for the E300.
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 01:54:29 pm »

Denis-

You need to generate new Calibration settings for each camera you use. Some people even go so far as to Calibrate different lenses; if you're using good glass IMHO this is overkill. Use either your best lens or the lens you shoot with most.

If you're going to process a native camera raw file using Fors ACR Calibrator script, the criteria for what version of ACR you need to use is support for the camera. In other words, you need to use at minimum the most recent version of ACR that includes support for your camera; depending on the version this may indeed require CS3.

But I like your idea of using DNG Converter in place of upgrading ACR and in theory this should work. It may make a difference whether or not you choose to embed the original camera raw in the DNG; I'd leave it out for this.

During the DNG conversion no changes are made to the image data. So you should be able to convert from native camera raw to DNG and use that to run the script.

No need to do a new Calibration for the E300.

Thanks for the reply.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194864\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6
Pages: [1]   Go Up