Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: small and light MF digital advice?  (Read 8097 times)

Ignatz_Mouse

small and light MF digital advice?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 11:05:02 am »

It's funny, I have a 90, 50, 35, 28 and never use anything but the 28.  In fact I don't even carry the other lenses anymore, for me it just seems like a forced waste of time to try to shoot with a long lens on a camera that requires you to get close to the subject and be part of the actual moment.

In my view, to really explore photography is to sometimes put the wrong camera in the wrong situations and see what shakes loose.

It's always interesting.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193449\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The 28 with the M8 becomes, more or less, a 35 due to its crop factor and this always has been the "classical" focal lenght used by the most renowned practitioners of the M style of shooting . I think that using somenthing longer than a 50 is strange with a RF and it's in the wide angle area where this kind of camera really shines.

To put the "wrong" tool into the "right" context usually offers intersting results if one is capable of just turnning the supossed disadvantages or flaws generated into "carachteristic virtues". Every intelligent and capable artist knows how to deal with this.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 12:10:24 pm »

I'm not shure there is anything. I have Makina 67, when folded it's nearly pocketable, of course you need to carry film around as well so a bit more bulk.
I have actually gone the other way and bought a folding 5x4 rangefinder, I have a drum scanner that can hold 1/2 doz sheets at a time, so I just set it scanning in the background. I would like an A3 flatbed, much easier and quicker to set up a batch.
So what you gain at the sharp end for taking you loose at the blunt end having to scan etc
I think small and MFDB are away off yet, Sigma has only just had a go at a large small sensor in a pocket camera.

A Mamiya ZD is the nearest.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 12:59:17 am »

Many replies already... suggesting to get ALOT of new gear...

I agree, the Mamiya 7ii is lovely (I have it   ), small, light and will will beat either of your cameras for compactness/light weight.

Apart from that... perhaps simplest solution is to for either of your cameras get among the smallest sized lens available?

Say the Canon 50mm 1.4 or an 80mm for your Contax??? They will help you get lovely photos  

Regards
Anders

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 04:34:54 am »

I own both 1Ds3 and Contax 645 P45+ caneras, BUT half the time I travel for myself, or am out and about, I never bother to take either with me. This is becoming ridiculous now, and I have to find some way to make it work.

With film, for years I had Plaubel 670 cameras, which folded up to the size of a paperback book, but popped out to use a decent Nikon 80mm lens for on-the-hoof 6x7cm images. Far better than an MF DSLR Contax or Rollei or Blad for such casual take it everywhere use.

now with digital there is little choice, despite paying tens of thousands of $ more.
I look at the Alpa TC, but... no rangefinder is a put off, and like so many of these types of camera, is really designed for wide angle work. Like Cambo etc. where I'd rather have standard focal lengths, and focusing indication.

anyone got fresh ideas? I'm missing some of the joy and spontaneity of photography because of these burdensome pro cameras. Shall I just wait for a 5D2 and use that, though leaving my relatively small Phase digital back at home while do that seem somehow silly...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193290\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

how about just getting an imacon scanner for your 6x7 film. I love the quality it produces, is not as harsh as a drum scanner.
and much nicer images than a 5D2 I'm sure

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 11:58:49 am »

The 28 with the M8 becomes, more or less, a 35 due to its crop factor and this always has been the "classical" focal lenght used by the most renowned practitioners of the M style of shooting . I think that using somenthing longer than a 50 is strange with a RF and it's in the wide angle area where this kind of camera really shines.

To put the "wrong" tool into the "right" context usually offers intersting results if one is capable of just turnning the supossed disadvantages or flaws generated into "carachteristic virtues". Every intelligent and capable artist knows how to deal with this.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193825\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For current in production digital cameras only two the Canon and the Nikon D3 are truly full frame.

Early on with my switich to digital it took a while to get used to this, as an 80 looked like an 80 but cropped like a 110 etc. etc.

Yes the 28 on the M8 crops like a 35mm but doesn't "look" like a 35mm on a FF 35mm film camera, not that this is really good or bad, it's just different.

I've gone the full gamut of cameras, from 1.5 crops of the D2x (which I could never get used to ) to the p30/p21 1.3 crops which I don't really notice anymore.

though to get back to the original posters walk around camera needs, I also find it kind of strange to walk around with a medium format camera, or even a big dslr.  It's so intrusive and quite honestly going out on a Sunday in NY with a Canon around my shoulder makes me feel somewhat like a tourists. (not that there is anything wrong with being a tourist   )

When you look at all the camera companies that have come, gone and morphed into digital the one company that seemed to miss the boat was Contax.  Imagine if they had partnered early on with somebody like phase.  There could have been a digital G2, a real working dslr N and leaf shutters on the 645.

If that had happened it really would have been the only company that covered just about all the professional and serious amateur territory and the conversations we have today would be much different.

JR

Plekto

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 01:47:46 pm »

Talking about disarming people. I liked to do street work with the 503 and DB. People for some reason find the 'big' black box something from another era and people that use it are obviously weird but harmless

I used to get that all the time with my old Rollei.

For pure simplicity and light weight, it's hard to beat a TLR.  A rangefinder 6X6 camera also can be had at barely any larger than a 35mm rangefinder.  Both allow for quick and unobtrusive shooting.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up