Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing camera gear  (Read 5837 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Storing camera gear
« on: May 03, 2008, 07:40:05 am »

I was re-arraging [sort of a semi clear out of crap I dont use much] when I realised I had stuff stored all over the place - some lenses in one bag, a body in another bag, more stuff in a cupboard.

How do you handle storing all your stuff?

Is a couple of big pelican cases really necessary at home [then select from that to pack for each shoot into an appropriate bag] as an example, or do most of you just leave a bag packed with the usual suspects for equipment and add or subtract as necessary?

I packed my new Nature Trekker bag tonight  and pretty much have everything I use the most in that for storage and general use for the moment.

Just curious how others are handling this issue - I need to sort out my storage issues!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 07:42:25 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

francois

Storing camera gear
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 08:01:43 am »

I was re-arraging [sort of a semi clear out of crap I dont use much] when I realised I had stuff stored all over the place - some lenses in one bag, a body in another bag, more stuff in a cupboard.

Is a couple of big pelican cases really necessary at home [then select from that to pack for each shoot into an appropriate bag] as an example, or do most of you just leave a bag packed with the usual suspects for equipment and add or subtract as necessary?

I packed my new Nature Trekker bag tonight  and pretty much have everything I use the most in that for storage and general use for the moment.

Just curious how others are handling this issue - I need to sort out my storage issues!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I put everything in a closet in the office. I also use a pelican case, mostly to go on location.  I just make sure that nothing stays humid. If I'm confronted to wet weather, I put my gear in the pelican case with silica-gel.
Francois

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
Storing camera gear
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 07:29:24 pm »

Two Lowepro bags: primary equipment and backup equipment, both in a large (900 pound / 400 kg) "fire resistant" safe... plus a Rebel XTi with 17-85 lens always handy on a shelf. Tripods, flash stands and umbrellas are stored in a closet.

telyt

Storing camera gear
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 11:32:45 pm »

Anywhere that cats can't reach.

I don't have humidity issues in the California central valley so I leave the stuff I use most often in the bags I use most often.  The rest of the stuff is in a large file cabinet drawer where it's away from most dust but still has some air circulation.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Storing camera gear
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 07:48:47 am »

A metal office locker, the kind you can purchase at an office supply store for a couple of hundred dollars. I have added a hasp for a large padlock.

My locker is about 2 meters tall and had five metal shelves, until I removed one to make room for larger camera bags. I can keep cameras and lenses on one shelf, loaded bags on another, my big 4x5 case on the bottom, and boxes of smaller parts and accessories on the top shelf. It's easy to see everything, find what I need, and get to work.

My large collection of camera bags is stored in several places: the most useful are under a work table in the studio, along with my location lighting gear. Less used bags are in a box in the garage. Note that I rarely get rid of a bag -- one cannot have too many camera bags.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Storing camera gear
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 09:58:52 am »

I liked the IKEA cabinet that I first learned about on this site (here) as a printer stand for my Epson 4800 so much that I bought a second one.  It's the perfect working height for my Rotatrim cutter, and the extra drawer space holds all my lenses and flashes and strobes other junk.  Looks nice too.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Storing camera gear
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 01:36:42 pm »

Anywhere that cats can't reach.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194306\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Literally as I read your post, one of the cats strolled in and sat on the flatbed scanner, looked at me and then laid himself flat out on scanner! Seconds later the kitten decided to try and play catch with his tail and now they are wrestling next to scanner!  
I normally keep nearly all my gear in my Think Tank [Airport Addicted] bag and take relevant bits out when I use my smaller bags. Other stuff goes in a metal filing cabinet.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Jay Kaplan

Storing camera gear
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 02:01:14 pm »

I keep everything in an Ikea cabinet [Ivar] except for the 35mm film which is in the fridge next to the Don Pepino pizza sause  

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Storing camera gear
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 02:25:56 pm »

Literally as I read your post, one of the cats strolled in and sat on the flatbed scanner, looked at me and then laid himself flat out on scanner! Seconds later the kitten decided to try and play catch with his tail and now they are wrestling next to scanner!  
...[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194655\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Did you do a cat scan?  (Sorry...)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Storing camera gear
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 03:53:48 pm »

Did you do a cat scan?  (Sorry...)[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194667\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Tempted!   The idiot kitten would probably chase light around.
Which reminds me of a website from 10 years ago which had lot of feline cat scans on it. www.cat-scan.com. No longer with us, but it was very funny and attracted an awful lot of hate mail.

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

ChrisHA

Storing camera gear
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 09:19:41 pm »

This Ikea storage cabinet is great because it has flip up "garage style" doors - great for small spaces  

You can see all of your gear at a glance w/o protruding doors.

Each shelf space is almost 14" high, 19" deep and 30" wide - so it holds a lot.

And, you can keep things organized by inserting old file folder stands, 3 tiered plastic drawers or organizer boxes, etc.

In addition to gear, it keeps roller bags, backpacks, lens cases, sticks and drives out of the way.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80114615

You can stack books on top in lieu of a bookcase and there's also a matching 55" credenza.

Hope this helps,

Chris
www.wildliferhythms.com

Hank

Storing camera gear
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 12:54:43 am »

Accessories and oddball stuff goes into the drawers of a couple of file cabinets.  Lenses, bodies and other more valuable gear goes into a heavy duty gun safe purchased on closeout from a sporting goods store.  The various shelves and drawers make organization and retrieval easy, even after years of inactivity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up