Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: stuck filter on 16-35L II lens  (Read 13711 times)

Khurram

stuck filter on 16-35L II lens
« on: May 03, 2008, 12:42:13 am »

I just wanted to get some advice on getting a UV filter that is stuck on my 16-35L II lens.

I have had problems in the past with the Hoya Pro1 filters getting stuck on my Lee wide angle adapter ring, but with a bit of a struggle have always managed to get it off.

I've had a Rodenstock 82mm UV filter on the lens for the past 6mth and have been trying to take it off, but it just won't budge. When i try turning, it it looks look the black portion, with the red ring is going to move, as there is some wiggle there, but the filter won't budge.

I've tried putting another UV filter, a polarizing filter and a Lee wide angle ring on the filter and then trying to take it off, but have had no success. This has always worked in the past, but this time, I'm stumped on what to do.

I'd appreciate any advice i can get. I had been on a wait list for the SIngh-ray color combo filter for a long time and the filter finally came in, but i just can't get the damn UV filter off.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 04:31:18 am »

Go to a camera repair shop where they'll have filter wrenches or get some off ebay. You can even make your own if you're so inclined.

francois

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 04:37:09 am »

You can also try to use rubber gloves. Don't put too much power or your risk damaging the black part of your lens. When you try to turn your filter, don't hold it too tight.
Francois

pminicucci

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 08:00:20 am »

My solution has been to use a thick, tight rubber band, carefully set around the edge of the stuck filter, then to turn with relatively light pressure. To date, this has always worked.

The issue is usually unequal force applied to points along the filter edge. The rubber band (or a filter wrench, for that matter), equalizes the lateral turning force to a sufficient degree. Anyway, try it. And if it works, keep some rubber bands in your bag.
Best,
Pat

Henry Goh

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 08:06:15 am »

With some lenses (eg 85mm f/1.2 EF L) you might also remove the front chunk of your lens with the filter so be patient....

You should also contact this ebay seller and see if he has an 82mm version
http://cgi.ebay.com/Camera-Lens-Filter-Wre...1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 08:18:58 am by Henry Goh »

Ray

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 08:15:08 am »

Create a noose with a thin piece of twine. Slip it around the edge of the filter and pull, in the right direction of course. If the noose slips, make it tacky with a bit of contact glue.

francois

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 12:46:09 pm »

The issue is usually unequal force applied to points along the filter edge. The rubber band (or a filter wrench, for that matter), equalizes the lateral turning force to a sufficient degree.
Right, this is the main problem when one tries to unscrew a stuck filter. Trying harder usually means that too much pressure goes on two or three points and this tends to deform the filter.
Francois

jjlphoto

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 04:15:07 pm »

Try using a long electrical cable tie. It is a plastic strip you can wrap around the rim and cinch up.

Also, try to tighten the filter a tiny tiny bit. Sounds absurd, but if the threads are seized in the loosening direction, going in the opposite direction can sometimes free it.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

daethon

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 04:47:42 pm »

I read somewhere once that you can take a rubber sole shoe, put it in your hand (like put your hand where your foot is) and then turn.  

I've used this technique many times in the past and it has always worked

Khurram

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 07:05:50 pm »

I'd like to thank everybody for the suggestions.l i tried everything suggested but without any success.  I actually also took the lens to Vistek and the Camera store and they also tried taking the filter off with everything from a rubberband, using the rubber from a shoe, to a Hama filter tool, but it is just stuck on solid.

I'm going to take the camera to Canon on Tuesday and if they can't take it off, i'll dry cracking the filter glass and removing the filter.
----

daethon

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 07:14:19 pm »

I'd like to thank everybody for the suggestions.l i tried everything suggested but without any success.  I actually also took the lens to Vistek and the Camera store and they also tried taking the filter off with everything from a rubberband, using the rubber from a shoe, to a Hama filter tool, but it is just stuck on solid.

I'm going to take the camera to Canon on Tuesday and if they can't take it off, i'll dry cracking the filter glass and removing the filter.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193354\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You know...one more suggestion, But, only as a last resort before breaking the glass (as you could potentially hurt the lenses glass doing that.  

Chances are that the two pieces of metal are different.  If they are made of different metal composition they will expand/contract at different rates at different temperatures.  

If you can heat up the metal of the filter without heating up the connection with the lens (Dipping end into boiling water for a period of time, drying it quickly, then trying the shoe thing again or something).

dmerger

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 09:34:16 pm »

I've had a similar problem. Usually, the rubber band trick worked, but once nothing worked.  (Put a rubber band on both the filter and the lens.) I used a small screw driver and placed the tip between the lens and the filter, then gave a gentle little twist.  There was a slight "pop" sound, and the filter was free.  Maybe I had a little cross threading.  I'm not sure, but it worked.  No damage to either the lens or filter.  I've never had to use that method again.
Dean Erger

Sheldon N

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 03:06:55 am »

I've also heard of putting the lens in a plastic bag, then in the fridge for a couple hours to cool down. Sometimes the reduced temperature can cause things to contract just enough to come loose.

Also, try finding a rubber "jar opener" at your local supermarket store. Very handy for unscrewing stuck things - basically a flat piece of rubber to give grip.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

BobShram

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 09:20:23 am »

This will not help remove the filter, but may help to stop it in the future.
Run a H/B pencil lead lightly around the filter thread, the grafite will lub the setup and help take out any rough edges that dig in to the lens thread. Along with a uniform pressure around the filter will help when removing it.

Bob

davidhartley

• http://www.davehartleyphoto.com
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 09:41:56 am »

Get a can of freezer spray (eg. used to cool electronic components for testing) and spray it round the outside of the filter ring. Give it a good spray if necessary. The filter should then be easy to unscrew. I had the same issue with my 70-200 and a polarizer.

Khurram

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 11:52:48 pm »

well, i dropped off the lens at Canon earlier this week and got a call back today. The filter wouldn't come off because it was cross threaded. They told me that the barrel needs to be replaced, for me to be able to attach filters and that they were unable to get the filter off, so the only way to remove it is to break it.

It's going to cost $190.  Nothing like this has happened to me in my 18 years in photography, but i am definately going to be more careful now!!!
----

dmerger

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 11:25:05 am »

Perhaps it's too late, but see my post above about using a small screw driver on a cross threaded filter.  Since it sounds like you're going to both break your filter and replace the barrel on your lens, you really have nothing to lose by trying my screw driver suggestion.
Dean Erger

Khurram

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 12:31:29 pm »

Perhaps it's too late, but see my post above about using a small screw driver on a cross threaded filter.  Since it sounds like you're going to both break your filter and replace the barrel on your lens, you really have nothing to lose by trying my screw driver suggestion.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194847\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
thanks for the suggestion.  I actually did try that as well as a couple of other suggestions before taking it to Canon.  It seemed like nothing was working in this case.
----

daethon

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 01:05:31 pm »

thanks for the suggestion.  I actually did try that as well as a couple of other suggestions before taking it to Canon.  It seemed like nothing was working in this case.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I take it that neither the heat or cold things worked?

Khurram

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 01:40:23 pm »

I take it that neither the heat or cold things worked?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I didn't try heat (kind of paranoid of damaging the lens), but did try cold.  I tried two of the sugested methods, put ice against the filter to try and cool the filter, as well as putting the lens/filter in the refrigerator for a few hours.  Neither did the trick.  Canon apperantly also tried using filter wrenches which also didn't work.
----
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up