Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya ZD back low pass filter YC301  (Read 4765 times)

palmerson

Mamiya ZD back low pass filter YC301
« on: May 02, 2008, 05:58:33 am »

I'm doing a lot of portraiture/people shootings and so I'm getting moire every now and then! I'm wondering if it is worth the investment? How much sharpness will the filter take away?

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 06:34:25 am »

Best method is to adjust while shooting.

Move back or forward and shoot tethered.
When I tested the ZD back I heard the price of the lowpass filter and thought that I would never buy it, moire is easily fixed in photoshop or during the shoot.

Shooting to your PC/Mac is the best way to prefend it, you can see directly what you do.

So in short, fix in while shooting or in photoshop.

palmerson

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 09:25:47 am »

So in short, fix in while shooting or in photoshop.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193087\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Frank, I was thinking the same. The price is incredible. But I shoot more and more on location... so sometimes taking my mac book is not a option. I know how to fix it easily on black fabric, but if I want too keep a certain color... I'm f****. Or do you guys have a tip here? Thanks

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 10:09:27 am »

On location change positions on several shots, this way you will always have shots that are different and probarbly this solves the problem.

In photoshop I use the Antimoire plugin from Phase one, this works like a charm.

In Leaf Capture there also is a great moire remove tool but LC doesn't run on my photoshop PC (vista64) so if I'm really having big problems which hardly happens to be honest I will do it in LC.

But I think the Phase one moire plugin is great.
I never understood why they are the only one with a plugin for photoshop it is a very often used tool for some photographers so I would expect more plugins.

An the other hand as long as we have one that works it's good

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 10:35:41 am »

Is DeMoirize plugin (Phase One) available for download?

On Phase One website it is mentioned that it supports only 8 bit images:
http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Suppo...Site%20-%20Main

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 10:37:52 am »

It was part of the V3 software I bought some time ago.

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 11:04:53 am »

In my experience, you are better off fixing it when you are shooting. Even a few inches of movement can dramatically reduce or eliminate moire in your files. There are 2 types of moire: color and pattern. You can sometimes look at the different color channels to see where the evil lies. And pattern? ouch. This is the tough one. Sample from neighboring pixels if you can do it, but it is much more difficult to remove.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 11:42:36 am »

In my experience, you are better off fixing it when you are shooting. Even a few inches of movement can dramatically reduce or eliminate moire in your files. There are 2 types of moire: color and pattern. You can sometimes look at the different color channels to see where the evil lies. And pattern? ouch. This is the tough one. Sample from neighboring pixels if you can do it, but it is much more difficult to remove.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193129\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For two years I swore the original 1ds would not moire, then went through a two week period where every client's select (from different projects) had moire, some color, (fixable) some pattern (hell).

The 1ds2 I see very little moire on with continuous light, more with flash, (which makes sense) but on strange areas like Kahki pants.

the worst I see is on the least obvious, like those soft almost fluffy shell tops in red and blue.

I would think they would never moire as they don't seem to have a pattern, but it will appear.

In my experience pulling back from a frame doesn't change much, though coming in closer does, (obviously coming in closer is the hard part), so if I see moire, or think it's coming, I shoot the session and then reshoot the session very quickly closer so the effected garmet can be added in in post.

Once again, flash seems to be more of the culprit than continuous light, even at high shutter speeds, though I should stress, that moire is not the everyday occurance for me, just something that pops up from time to time and though I have my theories that the 18mpx backs and 30mpx backs moire less than 22mpx, that is probably just conincidence of what I am shooting at the moment, though I somewhat think 22mpx is the most likely to moire for my work.

I work with one retailer that does their own in-house processing in C-1, about 500,000 images a year and they swear that the 22mpx backs are more prone to moire than any other camera, so at half a million images a year I guess their suppositions are probably close to correct.

One thing that is a heart stopper is c-1 version 3's previews,  Since the previews are just partial renders of the image, and of low density, depending on computer you can see moire that makes the room gasp.  99.999999% of the time it's not there, but those previews can make your heart stop and the only answer is to run the focus window continually to check.

V4 will fix this as this previews are more of athe fully rendered look, though even with the previews for thethering, I'm rock solid and happy with 3.78.

There has always been a lot of talk that film didin't moire, (though at times it did), but with film we never saw it scanned as we shot to really know what would happpen once it was converted to digital.  With digital capture we see it on the spot and usually fix it which I would assume makes the pre press people's lives much easier.

JR

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 11:42:42 am »

Thanks Frank, I was thinking the same. The price is incredible. But I shoot more and more on location... so sometimes taking my mac book is not a option. I know how to fix it easily on black fabric, but if I want too keep a certain color... I'm f****. Or do you guys have a tip here? Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193102\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A fairly easy way to fix most color moire is as follows;

In PS, sample the color you want to keep. Pick the 'color replacement brush', put the mode of the brush on 'color' (or make a copy of your working layer which you put on blending mode color) and paint away.

The luminance moire will still be there but isn't that annoying in most cases. This can also be fixed in PS.

Trick is to pick the right color, sometimes you have to test it a bit first and resample/pick again until you get the right color.

On black fabric you probably do the same but with the color on the brushes on default? This not only works on black fabric but on everything that has a neutral color varying form white up until black (also a great way to bring a piece of garment back to neutral white/grey/black).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 11:54:47 am by Dustbak »
Pages: [1]   Go Up