Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Munki - wondering- no luminace setting?  (Read 11682 times)

eisbaer

Color Munki - wondering- no luminace setting?
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:28:16 am »

Hi,

I got a Color Munki yesterday, until then I used my Eye One Display 2 to Calibrate my Monitors.

I tried to calibrate my EIZO CG211 and noticed:

- I can't set the luminance myself to which I want to calibrate! I found no way to calibrate my Monitor to my usual 120 cd. Do I miss something?
- There is no detection that I have an hardware calibratable Monitor. It tells me to adjust brightness, which I can't in Hardwarecalibration Mode
- No Gamma Setting either
- Only the Color Temperatures: 5000k, 6500k and Native

I have the feeling that the Software was made for Beginners and they left out all important options. The Eye One Match software of the Display 2 also has an Easy and Advanced Mode. But there I can choose at least Gamma and Luminance myself in the Advanced Mode which I can't in the Color Munki software. I could live with only the 5000k and 6500k choices but not without luminance settings.

Do I get something wrong or how can I get my CG211 profiled to my intentions with the Munki?

And why the heck does the Software has an Activation limit of 3 Computers? Me and my family we have 7 computers, should I buy 3 Munkis to calibrate them all? And how do I calibrate a monitor from a neighbour or friend?

Any ideas?

thanks a lot
Frank
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 11:32:08 am by eisbaer »

rovanpera

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 03:17:25 am »

I have CG211, and I use Eizo Colornavigator with Eye One Display 2.

Why would you want to use Color Munki instead of those?

Do Eye One Match or Munki even support hardware calibration?

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 08:15:47 am »

Hi

Most of your points exemplify the market that the ColorMunki is aimed at (and unfortunately you don't appear to be in it :-(

From your comments, the CM functionality is far too simple for what you want - it won't be fixed in that respect (or if it is, then expect it to cost more ;-)

I'd say send it back quickly and get a solution that matches your requirements.

The licensing mode of the CM is more reminiscent of high end colour management software and will I suspect catch out a lot of people, particularly in the target market, who are less likely to put up with restrictive licensing with a product like this, than colour management 'experts' ;-) I've long suggested that camera clubs and the like get profiling equipment for members to try out. I know that this then generates additional sales. My own view is that restrictive CM licensing is a rather short sighted move motivated by marketing pressures. A lot of people have several computers - I've used 3 CM licenses just by installing it on my laptop, office machine, and one of my servers in my printer room. So much for demoing it to anyone when I'm out and about visiting clients, even if it does exactly meet their needs  (that said I've not actually tried installing it on any more machines yet ;-)

I specifically don't sell hardware/software myself but when I'm asked to a clients to show them colour management, am I likely to temporarily install a product that has complex licensing, or one with just a serial number? Given they will have to buy the hardware to use when I'm gone, I know manufacturers I've spoken to in the past are quite happy for me to demo their products ;-)
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 09:44:14 am »

I've used 3 CM licenses just by installing it on my laptop, office machine, and one of my servers in my printer room. So much for demoing it to anyone when I'm out and about visiting clients, even if it does exactly meet their needs  (that said I've not actually tried installing it on any more machines yet ;-)

I had to ping the boys at X-Rite to ask them just what they are doing with respect to "Activation" (which they call when using the product). Apparently nothing that I can figure out, they tell me its not like Adobe's (there's no call home other than I suspect to register the serial number) and no way or reason to deactivate. So I'd ask you to try installing on a 4th system to see what happens. Either way, it illustrates even more stupidity on the part of X-Rite in confusing end users with a term like Activation (in light of what Adobe and others have done over the years using that exact and actual term).

This is what I was told:
Both ColorMunki Design and ColorMunki Photo come with a single user, 3 computer license agreement.  Although the software asks the user to “activate” it before it can be used, it actually does NOT behave like more recent Adobe products which “activate” and send information to a server.    Instead, we do not send any information or keep score on how many times the software has been installed.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 12:02:27 pm »

So I'd ask you to try installing on a 4th system to see what happens.
Thanks for the clarification there - I'll have a go when I get the next release of the software.

It did seem severe for the market it's aimed at, if it does work OK then it's another bit of kit to keep in the 'demo' suitcase.
bye for now -- Keith

eisbaer

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 12:11:38 pm »

Thanks for the replies. So the Activation limit would only be annoying at the time.

But what I don't get is, why would the setting of the luminance be a "such" advanced feature that the ColorMunki doesn't support it.

So its really like that that I don't get a luminance setting and Support for my CG211 with the Munki?  Andrew, you tested the Munki - is this really true?

But as XRite hasn't manged to get the i1 Display 2 Software to work with hardware calibratable Monitors in Vista until now, I assume I should stop wondering and buy a Spyder 3 Studio instead :-)

Any suggestions to this plan? Any disadvantages the Spyder 3 has compared to the Munki (2 devices instad of one, that was the thing why the Munki was so appealing)
How is the quality of the profiles compared to the i1 display 2 or Munki?
The easy and fast printer calibration of the Munki was very appealing to me. Measure 5 lines instead of 225 or 700+ patches.

Or go to the i1 Photo Lt instead, but I guess I can't calibrate beamers with the LT.

Thanks
Frank
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 12:13:17 pm by eisbaer »

eisbaer

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 12:40:44 pm »

Just got off the phone with Xrite

As i thought you can't use the Munki to calibrate to a specified luminance. It uses the settings 140cd for LCD's and 100cd for Laptops. No changes possible here (besides the Ambient Light Measurement)

The Munki can't communicate with hardware calibratable Monitors. I was told to use the Eizo Navigator Software with my CG211, I can't use the Munki Software.

Regarding Activation I was told the same things as Andrew said.

Frank

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 01:09:37 pm »

The Munki can't communicate with hardware calibratable Monitors. I was told to use the Eizo Navigator Software with my CG211, I can't use the Munki Software.

On their site, they do say its DDC capable. That doesn't mean it can communicate with the Eizo since with DDC, YMMV. That particular unit may not be supported.

David Good

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 02:43:57 pm »

Thanks to everyone for their comments and findings, it has been quite informative. I almost took the leap. My take on this is: hardware good, software bad. I'm not a fan of dumbed down software or anything that makes decisions (such as luminance settings), so this may not be for me. I'll wait a little longer but it looks like I may have to explore the higher end options again.

Dave

Good Photoworks

eisbaer

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 03:09:20 pm »

On their site, they do say its DDC capable. That doesn't mean it can communicate with the Eizo since with DDC, YMMV. That particular unit may not be supported.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193148\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The DDC is a weird thing with XRite especially with Windows.

When I use the i1Match Software and my i1 Display 2 on Windows XP or MAX OSX the i1Match Software detects my CG211 and the hardware calibration works. With Vista the Software works but DDC doesn't work. So DDC and Munki might work with other OS'es but not with Vista(was the only OS i tested the Munki with). On my phonecall with Xrite as of today they told me it will not work with the Munki and I should use Color Navigator and my i1 Display 2.

Frank

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 03:55:21 pm »

On my phonecall with Xrite as of today they told me it will not work with the Munki and I should use Color Navigator and my i1 Display 2.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193173\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Frankly, a colorimeter is a better devices for this task if you have one as well.

David Good

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 12:00:36 pm »

Well, despite certain reservations, I placed an order and should see the Munki in a week or so. There should be some software fixes coming soon, and I suspect this will become a labor of love as it all gets sorted. Any tips on installing only what is needed are appreciated. Sorry to go off topic.

Dave

Good Photoworks

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 03:17:51 pm »

Well, despite certain reservations, I placed an order and should see the Munki in a week or so. There should be some software fixes coming soon, and I suspect this will become a labor of love as it all gets sorted. Any tips on installing only what is needed are appreciated. Sorry to go off topic.

My main suggestion to anyone who knows how to print using a profile would be to remove the plugins for applications it installs.

Also I switch off the 'tray' application since personally I don't like extraneous coloured icons added to my (Mac) menu bar (note you do this from the Colorpicker prefs).  The Apple HI (human interface) guidelines say that additional icons in the menu bar should be optional although all too many manufacturers don't get round to implementing this. I've not got any PCs here so I don't know what the Windows equivalent to this is, or even if anyone would be bothered ;-)
bye for now -- Keith
Pages: [1]   Go Up