Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D300  (Read 6422 times)

steve123

Nikon D300
« on: May 01, 2008, 04:38:39 am »

Hi

I have just bought a Nikon D300 and so far I think it is great. I was just interested to find out what other people who have the camera think about it.

One feature I am not keen on is the Live View. I find that it takes far longer to get something into focus, I find it easier to just look through the view finder (even if it means getting on the ground for those low angle shots).

What do you  think of the Nikon D300?

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
Nikon D300
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:07:53 am »

What do you  think of the Nikon D300?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192835\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Best DX camera ever.  I would qualify my enthusiasm by noting that I am coming from the D200, but all of the D2x users I know prefer the D300 (mainly because of the D300's better ISO above 400).

michael

Nikon D300
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 12:26:52 pm »

Regarding the D300's Live View - check your manual. There are two LV modes, Tripod and Hand-held. In tripod mode it uses contrast detection AF, which is slow, but doesn't require the mirror to flip. In hand held mode the mirror flips, but focusing uses phase detection, the normal fast mode.

It just depends which you need.

Michael

BJL

Nikon D300
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 02:01:43 pm »

One feature I am not keen on is the Live View. I find that it takes far longer to get something into focus, I find it easier to just look through the view finder (even if it means getting on the ground for those low angle shots).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192835\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
When the optical viewfinder works better, use that of course. It seems to me that SLR Live View is for some special situations, not general usage.

Have you tried Live View
1) Using high magnification for precise focus checking and such with the camera on a tripod.
2) To relieve eye strain when waiting on a subject for a long time, such as waiting in a hide for wild-life.
3) When you really need to hold the camera away from your eye, like overhead to shot over a crowd.
4) When photographing people, camera on tripod, and wanting to maintain casual eye and verbal contact with them instead of "hiding" behind the camera whiling getting them ready for the shot.

I am still shopping for a Live View SLR, and am not yet convinced that SLR Live View has much need for fast AF: the OVF and PD AF is still there for that. However, accurate if somewhat slow AF seems worthwhile, and contrast detection AF might be good for that: there should be no back- or front-focus alignment errors when the sensor itself judges focus!

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
Nikon D300
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 10:48:37 am »

I'm coming from a d2x and 1dIII .. both have been traded in .. first for a d3 .. then added a d300, as I wanted to try something with a lower freq shutter noise.. First impressions are .. IT"S SO HANDY! .. so small and under arm tuckable.  I've been using it a bit with a zeiss 50mm and it feels like I have my FE again.  But most of the work I've used it for so far is stage.. and I wouldn't be as happy with the iso performance as I had expected.  Having the 14 bit file is great but I suppose I'm spoiled with the d3 now... but I would say that the d300 is only marginally better than my d2x in this respect.  (iso perf)

Ros

roskav

Nikon D300
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 10:51:00 am »

PS I'm about to try another attempt at a swimming pool underwater shot this evening... I'm using the d300.  Having done this once before I've taken a bit of extra gear this time ..including weights! .. Will let you know how it goes!

Ros

duraace

Nikon D300
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 11:53:54 am »

I love my D300.  I have it set to Auto ISO (except for long exposures when I need lowest ISO).  I feel the camera knows best when it needs the extra boost, and I use the Auto ISO warning as feedback when manually adjusting either shutter speed or aperture or both.  The low light capabilities of this camera has made it preferable for me to shoot using natural light way more than previously.  I use LiveView when it isn't practical or possible to look through the viewfinder, or when I need to take a candid street photo without drawing attention to the fact that I'm taking a picture.

AdrianL

• http://
Nikon D300
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 09:42:45 am »

Developed a problem when using Live View.  
Camera was on copy stand.  Live view used for critical magnified manual focusing, practice shot in manual mode to check exposure on histogram, then switching to mirror lockup for final exposure.  Camera failed to respond after 10-12 exposures.  New charged battery inserted, no response.
Called Nikon service, need to send camera in for service.  Bought camera back in November.  About 5000 actuations, but I suspect Live View to be the problem. Been using this technique for the past couple of weeks, about 75 exposures.  Live view on for less than 15 seconds.
Probably just a fluke.
Adrian

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
Nikon D300
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 01:37:01 pm »

Developed a problem when using Live View. 

Camera was on copy stand.

Probably just a fluke.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=27803867]http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=27803867[/url]

10x 15 seconds is 2 1/2 minutes.  This doesn't seem like much, but with the orientation of the camera and using Camera Control Pro, this probably resulted in an accumulation of heat that damaged a circuit board.  It's not acceptable, but hopefully you are right about it being a fluke.

As for the replies you got at DPR; well I was banned from that site for a reason, basically the site is full of trolls.  The members in the Nikon forums there are regularly besieged by troublemakers and are inclined to suspect the motives of unfamiliar posters.  You might consider seeking the advice of Thom Hogan via email instead; in addition to being helpful he collects information like this to the benefit of us all.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:37:31 pm by Tony Beach »

roskav

Nikon D300
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 04:14:57 pm »

Hi The D300 did pretty well in the pool .. this is the shot that will be used for the poster.  The flash was an SB800 on the side of the pool in a ziplock bag.  Lens was 17-55 2.8.  Shot at f10 and 1/125.  iso 400.  This is only my second time doing this but it pays to have quite a bit of depth of field.. even though the water seems to soften the image a bit.  I had to keep the ir trigger above water level ... (I had skipped using pocket wizards.. which I would use however the next time I do this.)  The camera is in a Ewa Marine bag with one lead weight also.  In comparison to the d2x .. it's nice to have that bit    more latitude with the 14 bit files in shots like these as you end up doing a lot in ACR as it's hard to keep on the money with exposure in water when your subject moves quite a bit and the water seems to accentuate the falloff of light over distance.

duraace

Nikon D300
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 11:44:47 pm »

Hi The D300 did pretty well in the pool .. this is the shot that will be used for the poster.  The flash was an SB800 on the side of the pool in a ziplock bag.  Lens was 17-55 2.8.  Shot at f10 and 1/125.  iso 400.  This is only my second time doing this but it pays to have quite a bit of depth of field.. even though the water seems to soften the image a bit.  I had to keep the ir trigger above water level ... (I had skipped using pocket wizards.. which I would use however the next time I do this.)  The camera is in a Ewa Marine bag with one lead weight also.  In comparison to the d2x .. it's nice to have that bit    more latitude with the 14 bit files in shots like these as you end up doing a lot in ACR as it's hard to keep on the money with exposure in water when your subject moves quite a bit and the water seems to accentuate the falloff of light over distance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193913\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What was the material that the lens had to shoot through? Plastic, glass?

roskav

Nikon D300
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 05:38:51 am »

Glass ... bag is plastic but has a glass bit for the lens to butt up against

duraace

Nikon D300
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 02:00:27 pm »

Glass ... bag is plastic but has a glass bit for the lens to butt up against
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194082\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting.  If meant for the purpose, then minimal risk involved I guess.  The D300 is sealed, so that's also a good test!  
Pages: [1]   Go Up