Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: two quick LR operational questions  (Read 2278 times)

scubarob639

two quick LR operational questions
« on: April 30, 2008, 11:37:44 pm »

1)Can I store a LR developed raw file outside of LR?  2)When I print from LR, I just adjust the raw file and go to print module and print. What is LR converting the file to for printing?

Thanks,

Rob

The View

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:04:10 am »

1)Can I store a LR developed raw file outside of LR?  2)When I print from LR, I just adjust the raw file and go to print module and print. What is LR converting the file to for printing?

Thanks,

Rob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192794\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1. The images aren't stored IN Lightroom. They are stored wherever you want them stored on your computer.

You then "import" them, which means a file in the Lightroom catalogue, that says where it is on your computer - it's the lifeline. Also all changes are, as far as I know, stored in the Lightroom database, as long as it is only a RAW image.

You can kick images out of your Lightroom database, and they are still there on your computer, taking up space (so I either have them in Lightroom, or I delete them if I don't need them)

2. I  never printed from Lightroom, so I can't answer that. I don't know if it can be called a conversion, but the RAW data have to be translated into ink colors and ink amounts, and this software should be the print module.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 05:37:41 am »

1)Can I store a LR developed raw file outside of LR? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192794\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, at least 2 ways.
1) by exporting a file in the format of your choice, from less (TIFF, 16bits, ProPhotoRGB) to more compressed (JPEG). Readable in many, many apps as long as they understand the file format and color management.
2) by simply saving the metadata to the file (or having "autosave XMP" checked), it saves LR adjustments in the XMP space (sidecar file for raw formats). You can then copy & paste the raw file and its XMP sidecar together. This solution is lossless but works only in other Adobe apps (Photoshop CS3 with the latest version of CameraRaw, namely).

For the printing question, I'm not really sure to understand the question  but anything is handled under the hood and no file output is apparent to the user. It's what Print Module is made for  .
For technical questions about the print pipeline, you'd better have someone more informed to answer you    but for my 2c's I'd think the images are treated for output (resampling/sharpening) and then converted from internal color space (very close to ProPhotoRGB) to the specified printer color space and passed to the driver, with the bit depth according to the printer driver (8 bits in most if not any cases?).
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: [1]   Go Up