Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Stylus Pro 7880  (Read 8437 times)

markbarone

• http://
Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« on: April 30, 2008, 04:27:36 pm »

As a professional photographer, I originally purchased the new Canon ipf6100 24" model due to a great price.  But after much use, I began to have buyers remorse.  So I decided to compare the latest HP, Canon, and Epson printers one more time.  What I found might be helpful for anyone else who is trying to make this same decision.

I finally decided on the Epson Stylus Pro 7880 because:

Loading cut-sheet and roll media is a dream compared to the Canon or HP.  The print quality is what I sell.  The HP and Canon are grainy on higher-end photo papers.  The build-quality of the hardware is far superior to the Canon or HP.  It seemed that many pro's also have standardized on the Epson.  The availability of different media types on the Epson is incredible.  I was amazed about how many third-party RIP's support the Epson.  Although, I will probably stick with the standard driver for now.  I feel Canon's technical support was weak.  I learned more from this forum than Canon.  I hear that HP's tech support seems O.K. and Epson might be best?  Also, the new vivid magenta inks are a little better than Epson's previous inks,  but overall better than HP or my Canon's.  And my Canon requires 12 inks to do what Epson does using only 8!

I do hate the idea of switching between black inks,  but the above comments outways this issue for me. I will try printing using the Photo Black for everything.  So no switching. I hope.

After installing my Epson, my buyers remorse is gone, and my work has never looked better.

It's amazing how much printing technology has improved our industry!

BTW, thank you for running such a great forum.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 05:28:31 pm »

Man, if loading cut sheet on the 7880 is dream, I would hate to see the Canon and HP  

I would love to have a 9880 class machine that held multiple cut sheets.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

John Hollenberg

Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 06:02:17 pm »

Loading rolls on iPF printers is the easiest thing in the world, motorized roll feed makes it a breeze.  A lot easier than when I had my Epson 9600.  Are you sure we are talking about the same Canon printer?

--John

pprachun

Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 07:22:05 pm »

I do hate the idea of switching between black inks,  but the above comments outways this issue for me. I will try printing using the Photo Black for everything.  So no switching. I hope.
Mark:
Have you tried the "Phatte" black option?  I've been using it for a couple of years with the ImagePrint RIP -- no black switching; great profiles; great RIP = Happy Epson 9800 (and 3800) photographer/printer.

I've decided to bypass the x880 series and am waiting for the newer series.
Paul Prachun

markbarone

• http://
Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 11:06:10 pm »

Yes,  I heard of the fat black option.  But I don't like messing with the printer itself.  Also,  the Epson driver is free and produces amazing results.  I'm not a matte paper person.

I just printed a very difficult black and white print on the new Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper using the advanced black and white print mode. Amazing!  I never saw this image file look this good.  I can't imagine beating this.

After using this printer for about two weeks now,  I can say I'm loving the print-making side of my business.  I used to dread the process.

I heard Epson might be announcing new printers at drupa?  The way I see it,  I'll make enough money using my new 7880 to pay it off well before Epson ships the newer models.  I can't imagine how Epson is going to beat the 7880.  

Epson,  if your listening,  please have auto-switching blacks.  Then you will be gods.

David Duchesne

Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 08:12:07 pm »

I have owned the 9880 for 3 weeks. I am using the colorburst rip. I am considering the imagebyte rip with phatt ink.  I wonder if epson will disown the printer warranty if you use phatt ink,?  I already own the 7600 and used to switch to matt by printing a large sheet which of black which empties the pk line after you put in the mk cartridge.  It worked nicely.

With the 9880, the recommended switch uses 3 cartridges (supplied) to drain 3 lines??? to switch to pk from mk.   Does anyone know why one drains 3 lines to add one new cartridge?  Is this an epson boondoggle?

Is it possible to just drain one line after switching the pk/mk cartridge.  There must be a method like the one I used on the 7600.

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »

Is it possible to just drain one line after switching the pk/mk cartridge.  There must be a method like the one I used on the 7600.
If there is such a method (I've used it on my 9600) I'd love to hear it, but from all I've seen, that trick was locked out on the 7800, yet alone the 7880
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 08:06:38 pm »

Is it possible to just drain one line after switching the pk/mk cartridge.  There must be a method like the one I used on the 7600.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193219\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you are referring to the "Australian" or "South African" (forget which) method - no - it was only possible on that printer and perhaps the 4000. It wasn't on the 4800. BUT, before going to this expense, try using PK on matte paper and see what happens. Matte Black on Gloss paper would be a mess, but an Epson rep told me there is very little quality hit using PK on matte. You'll only know by experimenting. I haven't done it because I now own a 3800.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 03:49:56 am »

... before going to this expense, try using PK on matte paper and see what happens. Matte Black on Gloss paper would be a mess, but an Epson rep told me there is very little quality hit using PK on matte.
I noticed that the 7880 driver installs profiles for MK and PK for quite a few Epson papers (VFAP,WCRW,USFAP,Canvas,EMP and some others)

A cursory look at the profiles show bigger gamut volumes with Pk, but as you'd expect the Mk look to win out on depth of blacks in many of them.

Has anyone tested these in real life on an X880 printer?
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 07:31:57 am »

I noticed that the 7880 driver installs profiles for MK and PK for quite a few Epson papers (VFAP,WCRW,USFAP,Canvas,EMP and some others)

A cursory look at the profiles show bigger gamut volumes with Pk, but as you'd expect the Mk look to win out on depth of blacks in many of them.

Has anyone tested these in real life on an X880 printer?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193731\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I haven't, but the Epson rep who suggested this to me was speaking from experience. He confirmed that there is a slight hit on the depth of black doing this, but according to him "not much". I think this is one of those things which one just needs to try and see whether the shoe fits.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Doombrain

Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 08:18:19 am »

I have owned the 9880 for 3 weeks. I am using the colorburst rip. I am considering the imagebyte rip with phatt ink.  I wonder if epson will disown the printer warranty if you use phatt ink,?  I already own the 7600 and used to switch to matt by printing a large sheet which of black which empties the pk line after you put in the mk cartridge.  It worked nicely.

With the 9880, the recommended switch uses 3 cartridges (supplied) to drain 3 lines??? to switch to pk from mk.   Does anyone know why one drains 3 lines to add one new cartridge?  Is this an epson boondoggle?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193219\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

you don't drain 3, only the 1 without the PK/MK cart in. the 3 carts act as dummy carts and lock the lines off so you lose minimal ink.

Tklimek

Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 01:00:19 pm »

This is an interesting point.  That is what I thought.  If you are only draining one line, is this $20 worth of ink?  That would make the $40 "round trip" cost that is often mentioned regarding the total cost of swapping.  Is that correct?

Cheers...

you don't drain 3, only the 1 without the PK/MK cart in. the 3 carts act as dummy carts and lock the lines off so you lose minimal ink.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193760\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

janisr

Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 09:32:17 am »

This is an interesting point.  That is what I thought.  If you are only draining one line, is this $20 worth of ink?  That would make the $40 "round trip" cost that is often mentioned regarding the total cost of swapping.  Is that correct?

Cheers...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm using epson 9800, an the blackink change is a pain in the a..., but on the innova matte fine art papers it is totally worth it!
you have to count also maintenance tank usage to the "round trip"
Jānis Ratnieks www.janisratnieks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up