Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black and White RAW Photo into Lightroom  (Read 6932 times)

steve123

Black and White RAW Photo into Lightroom
« on: April 29, 2008, 04:26:03 am »

Hi

I have just bought a Nikon D300 which has and Black and White setting. I have taken a few RAW photos with the setting on but when I import the photos into light room the B&W settings are removed.

Is there any way of setting up lightroom so that it keep the settings? or does it just not support the built in camera filters?. I have not been using it for very long and cannot seem to find anything. I know i can just use Lightroom to convert the images but I find it easier just to do it in camera.

Thanx to anyone who can help.

My setup is:
24" iMac
OS X 10.5
Adobe Lightroom 1.4.1
Nikon D300
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 04:26:17 am by steve123 »

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 05:20:30 am »

Is there any way of setting up lightroom so that it keep the settings? or does it just not support the built in camera filters?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192434\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
LR doesn't read in-camera jpeg settings when dealing with raw, AFAIK.
As you've got a 1-click very good automated B&W conversion in LR (or even more simply you could apply a B&W preset on import), I wouldn't call it a showstopper - would you?
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

steve123

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 05:37:23 am »

LR doesn't read in-camera jpeg settings when dealing with raw, AFAIK.
As you've got a 1-click very good automated B&W conversion in LR (or even more simply you could apply a B&W preset on import), I wouldn't call it a showstopper - would you?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192444\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No I wouldnt call it a showstopper but it would have been nice if it had work but never mind. I will just have to make an effort to move my mouse over to that greyscale button...lol.

Thanx for the help.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 07:34:18 am »

You're better off converting the pictures to b&w in LR - more scope for you to interpret the image and balance the tonal composition. Nikon Capture would pick up raw files' b&w settings. If you really want camera-frozen b&w pictures, you could always shoot raw+jpeg but that's twice as many files to manage.

John

picnic

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 08:12:10 am »

You're better off converting the pictures to b&w in LR - more scope for you to interpret the image and balance the tonal composition. Nikon Capture would pick up raw files' b&w settings. If you really want camera-frozen b&w pictures, you could always shoot raw+jpeg but that's twice as many files to manage.

John
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also like Martin Evening's technique for black and white in Lightroom using the HSL panel, etc.
[a href=\"http://lightroom-news.com/2007/08/24/tips-for-better-black-and-white-conversions/]http://lightroom-news.com/2007/08/24/tips-...te-conversions/[/url]

Diane

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:02:01 am »

I also like Martin Evening's technique for black and white in Lightroom using the HSL panel, etc.
http://lightroom-news.com/2007/08/24/tips-...te-conversions/

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192464\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That technique is obsolete now. Its main purpose was as a workaround for a bug in noise reduction where the colour noise slider was disabled once you went into black and white mode. I'd advise against using it any longer.

John

picnic

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 06:00:28 pm »

That technique is obsolete now. Its main purpose was as a workaround for a bug in noise reduction where the colour noise slider was disabled once you went into black and white mode. I'd advise against using it any longer.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192491\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You mean with beta 2?  I have not explored it too much altho' it is installed.

Diane

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 04:31:31 am »

I would have to reinstall the public beta to point you exactly where I mean.... For filtering, you're going to be better off following my advice (I'm sure Martin would agree that the Saturation method's no longer needed)

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up