Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr trouble rendering contrasty lines as jpeg?  (Read 1682 times)

heliphoto

• http://fstop.110mb.com
Lr trouble rendering contrasty lines as jpeg?
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:29:22 am »

The other day I was exporting a photo from Lightroom as a fairly small jpeg (900ish pix. wide), and ran into some unacceptable artifacts around a white rope against a black night sky.  From what I remember this occurred  at all jpeg quality settings I tried (up to 100% - I use 80% as my default)  I thought this might be related to sharpening, but I got the same effect with sharpening turned down to zero with the slider.  It's funny, but trying to recreate the effect today it doesn't seem as pronounced, though it's still visible.  It's possible that this effect was more pronounced on a different photo in the series, but I don't remember which one.

Details: file format in catalog - .pef (pentax raw), Lr version - 1.4.1, Camera Raw - 4.4.1, MacBook running osx 10.4.11

This is the photo exported today from lightroom.  You can see the halo / fuzz around the rope running to the flags (esp. if you zoom in over 100% and pixel peep).  

Here is the same image resized and exported from Photoshop using "save for web" (after adding a white border)  

As you can see, Photoshop didn't introduce the strange fuzz around the rope.

Have any of you experienced something similar, and do you think it's a setting on my end or a bug I need to bring to Adobe's attention?

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

...josh
Pages: [1]   Go Up