Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Epson Printers  (Read 152958 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
New Epson Printers
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2008, 03:51:31 pm »

but the question here has become "once 16 bit data is delivered to the printer, at what bit depth does the printer's onboard processor process that data?"
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208153\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The newer printers process the full 16 bit–also the 11880 should be added to that list. Earlier 7800/9800 and earlier are indeed maxed out at 8 bit.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
New Epson Printers
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2008, 03:57:59 pm »

The newer printers process the full 16 bit–also the 11880 should be added to that list.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208160\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If that's the case it seems funny that they aren't bragging about it, answering direct questions about this or providing Photoshop printing plug-ins like their competitors are so that people can take advantage of it.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
New Epson Printers
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2008, 04:06:54 pm »

If that's the case it seems funny that they aren't bragging about it, answering direct questions about this or providing Photoshop printing plug-ins like their competitors are so that people can take advantage of it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208162\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You'll see that messaging particularly with the newest printers this fall. The fact is, the only known apps that can even send 16 bit data to the print pipeline is Lightroom and Aperture (and Preview).

So, it's not like the printers can do much if that apps can't send the data, ya know? As far as making Photoshop export plug-ins to print to the printers, the problems with the Canon plug-ins are an indication that doing that ain't easy...

Scott Martin

• Onsight
New Epson Printers
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2008, 04:22:22 pm »

You'll see that messaging particularly with the newest printers this fall. The fact is, the only known apps that can even send 16 bit data to the print pipeline is Lightroom and Aperture (and Preview). So, it's not like the printers can do much if that apps can't send the data, ya know? [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208167\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yeah, I do know, and the plug-ins allow for 16 bit printing for every Photoshop user out there (back to Photoshop version 6 as I recall). Those plug-ins have significant other advantages (speed, better previewing, sharpening, interpolation methods, etc) and have been really nice to use for demanding users during the past few years while Adobe and the OSes have been getting their print pipelines in order.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
New Epson Printers
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2008, 12:53:58 pm »

heard through two authorized grapevines that "No Pricing Yet but We have been told Expect a Min of 1 K More and the spectro is an option" for the 7900.

I doubt anybody who really knows, can say anything. I'm anxiously awaing this info though. If it turns out that the 7900 is going to cost $4-5K then I'll probably just go with a Canon 6100. The 7900 sounds like exactly what I want, but I just can't spend that much.

If Epson is going to try to keep prices on the new printers extremely high by saying they're for the proofing market while offering the 880's as the more affordable offering for photographers that will be a real shame. After all it seems to me the expanded gamut and PK/MK switching would be more useful for the latter group.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204286\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
New Epson Printers
« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2008, 01:00:22 pm »

heard through two authorized grapevines that "No Pricing Yet but We have been told Expect a Min of 1 K More and the spectro is an option" for the 7900.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209743\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That would be fair considering you can change the backing plate, remove the spectro etc.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up