Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Backs  (Read 4289 times)

wayfarer

Digital Backs
« on: April 27, 2008, 03:59:19 pm »

I have both Leaf and Mamiya ZD backs. l import raw files from the Mamiya and convert to DNG's but it will not show a preview before importing.

I have been unable to import from the Leaf without 1st converting to a TIFF file even though Lightroom shows the Leaf back is supported.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

tompappas

Digital Backs
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 04:11:14 pm »

I have both Leaf and Mamiya ZD backs. l import raw files from the Mamiya and convert to DNG's but it will not show a preview before importing.

I have been unable to import from the Leaf without 1st converting to a TIFF file even though Lightroom shows the Leaf back is supported.

Any suggestion will be appreciat

I am not sure about the mamiya back - i have never used one, but with the leaf, you have to make sure that you are not using the compressed mos file format

Leaf has a application on their web site that will convert the compressed mos into the uncompressed mos, both for window and mac.  after conversion, the files can be read by the adobe procucts.

http://www.leaf-photography.com/ShowFaqs.a...arentMenuID=355

Tom

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
Digital Backs
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 05:07:49 pm »

I am not sure about the mamiya back - i have never used one, but with the leaf, you have to make sure that you are not using the compressed mos file format

Leaf has a application on their web site that will convert the compressed mos into the uncompressed mos, both for window and mac.  after conversion, the files can be read by the adobe procucts.
http://www.leaf-photography.com/ShowFaqs.a...arentMenuID=355

Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192155\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually the Leaf raw converted will convert a 'compressed file' from the back into a somehow slightly different 'compressed' file which is importable in Lightroom.  Despite this necessary step, I've yet to find a person at Leaf who will admit that the compressed file from the back is different from the compressed file that LR can read... weird.

Now I am using Leaf Capture to do this compression step as the GUI is easier to use than the little raw converter applet... but for this you need the Mac version of LC11.1

This is saving me a lot of work.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

wayfarer

Digital Backs
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 08:04:47 am »

Actually the Leaf raw converted will convert a 'compressed file' from the back into a somehow slightly different 'compressed' file which is importable in Lightroom.  Despite this necessary step, I've yet to find a person at Leaf who will admit that the compressed file from the back is different from the compressed file that LR can read... weird.

Now I am using Leaf Capture to do this compression step as the GUI is easier to use than the little raw converter applet... but for this you need the Mac version of LC11.1

This is saving me a lot of work.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192163\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the help. I shall try it out first thing Monday

wayfarer

Digital Backs
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 03:19:41 pm »

Thanks for the help. I shall try it out first thing Monday
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192273\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I changed the compression to none and Lightroom imports and converts to DNG's. The larger file size is OK because I always carry a pocket full of cards.

Thanks for everyone's help

wayfarer

Digital Backs
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 04:09:59 pm »

I changed the compression to none and Lightroom imports and converts to DNG's. The larger file size is OK because I always carry a pocket full of cards.

Thanks for everyone's help
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192337\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Instead of shooting just raw, I added the smallest JPEG and now the JPEG preview along side the raw. When I import to Lightroom, I import a .dng and copy just the raw files to another drive.

Everything works. Thanks again for your help.

wayfarer

Digital Backs
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 03:57:09 pm »

Any suggestion will be appreciated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192152\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

After further examination, the easiest way to preview an image before download is to:
    1-Turn off in preferences auto open import when a memory card id detected
    2-In Library use the import button and choose the card

This approach eliminates the need to shoot both Raw and JPEG
Pages: [1]   Go Up