Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: schneider 28mm pc lens focusing???  (Read 3414 times)

stacibeth

schneider 28mm pc lens focusing???
« on: April 26, 2008, 09:16:09 am »

So I just bought the schneider 28mm pc lens for my canon1ds3, to replace the canon24mm ts lens.

On the canon ts, even though it was a manual focus lens, whenever focus was achieved it would beep, I found this very helpful.

I put on the schneider expecting the same thing, no beep, is it supposed to? and I just have the settings wrong on my camera, or is the lens malfunctioning,? or........

Anyone know?

I find the beep as a reassurrance and helps me keep the shoot moving, otherwise I spend so much time checking, rechecking, and rechecking again.

thanks for your help
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 09:17:14 am by stacibeth »

sojournerphoto

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 09:34:04 am »

So I just bought the schneider 28mm pc lens for my canon1ds3, to replace the canon24mm ts lens.

On the canon ts, even though it was a manual focus lens, whenever focus was achieved it would beep, I found this very helpful.

I put on the schneider expecting the same thing, no beep, is it supposed to? and I just have the settings wrong on my camera, or is the lens malfunctioning,? or........

Anyone know?

I find the beep as a reassurrance and helps me keep the shoot moving, otherwise I spend so much time checking, rechecking, and rechecking again.

thanks for your help
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You need an af confirm chip in the adaptor for focus confirmation to work. On the 1Ds3 I've found live view very good for manual focussing

Mike

lightstand

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 10:41:56 am »

Other than the focus beep, how do you like that lens, CA, edge sharpness, etc? thanks jeff

stacibeth

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 11:07:20 am »

You need an af confirm chip in the adaptor for focus confirmation to work. On the 1Ds3 I've found live view very good for manual focussing

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can I buy this af confirm chip and if so where?

jjlphoto

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 08:42:47 pm »

Can I buy this af confirm chip and if so where?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192021\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do an eBay search for happypagehk

Send him a message and he will get you what you need if it is not presently on his eBay store site. I have several of his CY/EOS adapters, and LeicaR/EOS adapters with the Focus Assist/Enabling chip mounted on it. They work fine! You can purchase just the chip and mount it yourself if you already have one of his fully made ones to use as a reference. Does that lens's mount come off? Perhaps you could send him just the mount and he can install the chip. You can also have him flash into the chip the lens's focal length, in this case, 28, so your file's EXIF data reads correct for your reference.

*Note- some cameras, such as the 1Ds like mine, have a goofy focus confirm micro-switch built into the bodies bayonet mount opposite the lens release pin. Some adapted EOS mounts are designed to trigger this, some are not. If that pin is not depressed, the focus confirmation feature will not get turned on. Again, this is just on some EOS DSLR's. Perhaps someone here knows which other bodies have this nasty feature. Someone on the "Alternative" forum at Fred Miranda Forums will probably know which bodies.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP
Pages: [1]   Go Up