Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Calibration?  (Read 6891 times)

Wayne194

Camera Calibration?
« on: April 24, 2008, 05:51:53 pm »

When photographing the color checker, should I use auto white balance or set the camera to sunshine if outside or flour. if inside with flour. lighting?
I used auto for the first calibration and the results are really better.

Thanks
Wayne

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Camera Calibration?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 06:10:21 pm »

Hi,
Use RAW files and set the whitebalance with the graypatch on the colorchecker.

Wayne194

Camera Calibration?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 08:15:02 pm »

Thanks Frank,

That is exactly what I did.

Wayne

sojournerphoto

Camera Calibration?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 08:20:06 pm »

When photographing the color checker, should I use auto white balance or set the camera to sunshine if outside or flour. if inside with flour. lighting?
I used auto for the first calibration and the results are really better.

Thanks
Wayne
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191685\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just a thought, but you might get better results using sunlight than flourescent - the spectrums is a lot cleaner, making the wb easier to get right and more meaningful

Mike

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Camera Calibration?
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 02:31:35 am »

Mike,
When you shoot RAW (what you should) the setting of WB is not important (unless you want the preview on your LCD to be correct).

sojournerphoto

Camera Calibration?
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 07:13:10 am »

Mike,
When you shoot RAW (what you should) the setting of WB is not important (unless you want the preview on your LCD to be correct).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191790\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Frank

Yes, I appreciate this. I was just thinking aloud that when shooting the colour checker (unless you are recalibrating for each shoot - which may be useful for your workflow, but isn't my approach) it is probably worthwhile trying to maximise the data in each colour channel. Fluorescents usually have a spike in the green part of the spectrum requiring that the green channel is pulled down during rendering. In terms of exposure this means the r and b channels will get relatively less exposure if the green isn't to be clipped, and so have less data to work with.

Simon Tindeman's script allows a starting estimate of D50 or D65 for WB, and I think the suppporting documentation suggests that these are preferred unless you do a lot of shooting in other conditions.

Cheers

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up