Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightweight Backpacking Kit  (Read 6246 times)

theophilus

Lightweight Backpacking Kit
« on: April 24, 2008, 02:01:02 pm »

Tried this over at the FM alternative forum but got basically no response.  I know there are at least a few of you on here that do backpacking/adventure photography.  Even if you have no input on my questions I'd like to know what everyone's kit is for multi-day hiking.

---------------------------------

OK, I'm going on a 50+ mile backpacking trip coming up in July, and I need to cut down on the weight. This trip is with 2 other people and is primarily about photography, so no p&s recommendations please.

Here are the lenses I have available:
Zuiko 21/3.5, Zuiko 24/2.8, Zeiss 28/2.8, Zeiss 35/2.8, Zeiss 50/1.7, Canon 85/1.8, Canon 200/2.8L

My buddy will have a 70-200/4L available if I need the length

Camera body is 5D, tripod is Feisol 3401n with RRS BH-40 and L-bracket

I'm trying to stay under 10 lbs total for the camera gear. Last year I took the body, tripod/BH and 21, 28, 85, and 200 and it comes out to 13 lbs of gear.

I would like to be covered from a minimum of 21 on the short end to 70 on the long end. I would also really like to work in some kind of shift lens, but not married to the idea.

So with that my options to buy seem to be:

1) purchase Zeiss 35-70/3.4, use with the 21 and 28.

2) purchase Canon 24-105L and call it a day. (8.5 lbs total gear)

3) purchase Zuiko 35 shift, take the 21 and 50/85

4) purchase Canon 45 T/S, take 21, 28

5) buy Canon 17-40's for 2 months until I find a copy I like, and take the 28 with it.

The 16-35 II, and Nikon 14-24 are out of my price range. Can anyone think of any other options here?

sojournerphoto

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:54:42 pm »

Tried this over at the FM alternative forum but got basically no response.  I know there are at least a few of you on here that do backpacking/adventure photography.  Even if you have no input on my questions I'd like to know what everyone's kit is for multi-day hiking.

---------------------------------

OK, I'm going on a 50+ mile backpacking trip coming up in July, and I need to cut down on the weight. This trip is with 2 other people and is primarily about photography, so no p&s recommendations please.

Here are the lenses I have available:
Zuiko 21/3.5, Zuiko 24/2.8, Zeiss 28/2.8, Zeiss 35/2.8, Zeiss 50/1.7, Canon 85/1.8, Canon 200/2.8L

My buddy will have a 70-200/4L available if I need the length

Camera body is 5D, tripod is Feisol 3401n with RRS BH-40 and L-bracket

I'm trying to stay under 10 lbs total for the camera gear. Last year I took the body, tripod/BH and 21, 28, 85, and 200 and it comes out to 13 lbs of gear.

I would like to be covered from a minimum of 21 on the short end to 70 on the long end. I would also really like to work in some kind of shift lens, but not married to the idea.

So with that my options to buy seem to be:

1) purchase Zeiss 35-70/3.4, use with the 21 and 28.

2) purchase Canon 24-105L and call it a day. (8.5 lbs total gear)

3) purchase Zuiko 35 shift, take the 21 and 50/85

4) purchase Canon 45 T/S, take 21, 28

5) buy Canon 17-40's for 2 months until I find a copy I like, and take the 28 with it.

The 16-35 II, and Nikon 14-24 are out of my price range. Can anyone think of any other options here?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191651\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Leave the 85 and 200 at home - you can use your friends 70-200. Take the rest of the primes. Or buy the 24-105 and take the 21.

I'd probably take my 24-105 and 70-200 f4s, and might throw my zf35 or 100 macro in as well.

Have a great time

Mike
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:56:24 pm by sojournerphoto »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 07:24:26 am »

I do my long-distance backpacking to get *away* from photography, but to each his own.  

Given the conditions inherent in backpacking, I would carry the 5D and the 24-105 and call it good. Borrow the 70-200 when necessary. Less sensor dust that way (with fewer lens changes), though you could add the 21mm to the kit without a lot of weight penalty. My personal feeling is to simplify the kit on an expedition like this, though there is a certain amount of backup and redundancy in carrying multiple single-focal-length lenses.

Any chance you can each carry a body and share all the lenses?
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 09:13:17 am »

My light outfit is a 5D with a 24-105 + the 50 1.4 when in low light or when I want the wonderful crappy IQ @1.4.I carry 4 batteries. I have done very demanding several weeks long shoots in very rough conditions with and has not let me down.

All this I put into a small Nova2 or TopLoader from LowePro. For street use I want to try a slingshot but I don't have it yet.

theophilus

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:43:03 am »

Sergio brought another question to my mind- what bag does everyone use to carry their kit?

I have a Lowepro toploader (the one that fits the 70-200) that I used last time but it is too big for the smaller kit I will have.  I would like something that I could rig onto the belt of my pack or put on my chest and still see my feet.

Thanks for the responses so far.

daveman

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 02:09:48 am »

I've done several 50-100 mile hikes with my SLR, so I guess I have a lot of experience. Can't say I often used anything longer than 70mm. Most of the time I carried my 20mm, and my 28-70 2.8. The weakness is on the short side, not the long side. I'm surprised your friend is willing to take a 70-200 -- I think he's crazy.

When backpacking, I have usually shot film in the past, as I think it is less risky and more durable. But if I were to do digital, I would carry my wolverine for CF card backup, and I would probably ALSO carry tons of CF cards. I would try and convince your friend to leave the 70-200 at home, and instead share a portable hard drive for CF card backup. If weight is an issue, then maybe just lots of CF cards, never erasing them. Remember lots of batteries.

I always carry my camera on a Lowepro zoom chest harness, which is one of the best hiking investments I ever made. The camera is instantly available! And it is appropriately weather protected except in drenching rain. You can hide it under your jacket if weather is questionable. You could also have an extra lens case strapped to your belt for quick changes. Don't underestimate how much effort it is to take that huge backpack off just to get at your camera. I clip my bear spray onto one of the straps that holds my chest harness in place.

The luxury I usually carry is an ultralight, extra small Gitzo tripod with an RRS ballhead. Great for satin water and sunset scenes, timed night exposures, and group scenes that allow you to get into the photo. It would also double as a lightstand, if you decide to bring along a flash.

Having said all of that, my daughter's P&S olympus digital camera is an excellent little device. To tell you the truth, with most photos, I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference, compared to my professional SLR equipment.

Dave

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 07:38:44 am »

Wrell, even if I think I'd cut down weight a bit more for long hikes, I throw in my 2c's anyway...

I'm surprised your friend is willing to take a 70-200 -- I think he's crazy.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Definitely a matter of taste! I personally give away the normal range for the tele one... And at 700g for 2 persons, the 70-200/4 isn't an unreasonable luxury, I'd think.

[...]share a portable hard drive for CF card backup. If weight is an issue, then maybe just lots of CF cards, never erasing them.
Weight-wise (the HD needs batteries, too!) and reliability-wise, I think the "wallet of CF" solution solution is the better one.
A HD could be a good secondary backup, but I wouldn't advise to take it as the only data support of your trip.

Remember lots of batteries.
Sir yes Sir - unless someone can point at a reliable and practical solar panel (I heard about friends-of-friends having a good experience with those, though, but I have no details at hand).

Don't underestimate how much effort it is to take that huge backpack off just to get at your camera.
Oh soooo true... And gone is the Bigfoot, by the time you reach the camera.

My solution may be too small for your needs : Lowepro OffTrail, fits conveniently at the waist without interfering with the waist belt of the backpack, and very stable (I can climb easy routes with it). The OffTrail2 should fit a 5D+24-105 (but tightly), you got 2 lens pockets more...
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Ken Bennett

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 09:12:05 am »

Compact flash cards are so light and inexpensive that it makes no sense to carry an inherently fragile hard drive into the wilderness just so you can erase and re-use some cards.  (Sorry.)

I would carry 40 or 50 gigs of cards, maybe more. That's not a huge investment these days. I'd also carry as many spare batteries as I could cram in my pack. More useful than Snickers bars. (Though I, too, have talked with some photographers about their solar recharging experience. It's an interesting option.)

Finally, take a look at the new Digital Holster camera/lens packs from Think Tank Photo:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_DgtlHlstr.php

The bag can be shortened for smaller lenses.

Cheers,

Ken

theophilus

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 09:20:21 pm »

I saw that thinktank holster at my local camera shop the other day, I liked how it expanded so that the hood can be kept on the right direction.  Once I figure out my kit I'll take the 5D and the biggest lens to the store and get the smallest bag I can.  For an extra lens I'll use one of the Lowepro lens cases.

I will have 40 gigs (8GB x 5) of cards and use a Gepe Card Safe that is watertight.

My friend is re-thinking taking the 70-200 since it is such a long trip.  

I'm leaning toward the 24-105 at this point but I'm buying so much new backpacking gear that the wife might not go for it.  I'm trying to shave weight all the way around so I'm getting a new pack, new 1 person ultralight tent, and new raingear.

macgyver

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 09:55:22 pm »

I would not leave out the 70-200. I can't imagine going into the field without some range.

woffles

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 12:16:26 am »

I wouldn't completely discount P&S cameras.  I did a week long trip on the Continental Divide doing trail work.  All I brought was my G6.  An SLR would have been nice but the pack was too heavy as it was.  I'd worry more about cutting weight with your other equipment to let you carry the camera equipment you want since that is what this trip is about.

peteh

• http://
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 02:21:32 am »

I wouldn't completely discount P&S cameras.  I did a week long trip on the Continental Divide doing trail work.  All I brought was my G6.  An SLR would have been nice but the pack was too heavy as it was.  I'd worry more about cutting weight with your other equipment to let you carry the camera equipment you want since that is what this trip is about.

Why hurt thyself  

dobson

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 03:19:41 pm »

Well I suppose I'll add my two cents.

I like to hike light; and climb lighter. This doesn't prevent me from carrying a dslr kit, though. I feel that getting a good image is paramount, especially in remote, unusual, places.

When simply backpacking, my pack starts out pretty light (20-25lbs). In this case, I'm willing to take a fairly large kit (for me). I bring one body (20d), both of my F4 zooms (17-40, 70-200), a tripod, and cards and the like. I do not bring a camera bag, I just got one of those little neoprene covers and stuff everything in the top of the pack, (for easy access). I may add things such as a fast prime, but only if I anticipate a use for it.

On alpine climbs, the pack gets heavier and the work gets harder. After adding a rope, rack, crampons and ice tools, I don't have as much room for heavy gear. I almost always ditch the tripod. The tripod is heavy and there won't be any time to use it. I may also drop the long zoom. Simply carrying the body and lens in the top of the pack is worth the effort.

When planning a trip, consider what photographic opportunities you'll have. You'll probably want the wide lens; but do you need something longer? Will you be awake and shooting a dusk/dawn? If so, you'll definitely need the tripod. Consider dropping other luxuries in exchange for photo equipment. Do you really need a stove, a pillow, a full-length mat, and so on.

[attachment=6295:attachment]

This photo was taken a few weeks ago on Warren Peak, MT. Difficult conditions for a DSLR kit. Long showshoeing approach, bad weather (the camera body was crusted in ice and snow), and cold temperatures. I brought only the 17-40 mounted to the 20d; I knew I wouldn't have time to use anything else. I took few photos, but was really happy with the ones I got.

dobson

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 03:36:57 pm »

I would carry 40 or 50 gigs of cards, maybe more.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192107\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm curious how you guy's can shoot that much. Even after a week of climbing in Moab, I only end up with about 10 gigs of data. I may only be shooting at 8mp, but still.

Do you take many photo breaks? I always find myself hiking or climbing too hard to remember to take photos. When I'm not moving, I'm asleep in the tent.

Then again, I don't take dedicated photography trips. Maybe I should someday.

Ken Bennett

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 04:13:48 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192342\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think that's the difference. When I hike, I carry a G-7 and a spare battery. If I shoot 250 images in a long weekend, that's a lot (and they are jpegs, of course.)

I was basing my memory estimate on how I shoot at work: raw files, and plenty of them. The OP's trip was specifically for photography.

theophilus

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 06:02:51 pm »

I'm curious how you guy's can shoot that much. Even after a week of climbing in Moab, I only end up with about 10 gigs of data. I may only be shooting at 8mp, but still.

Do you take many photo breaks? I always find myself hiking or climbing too hard to remember to take photos. When I'm not moving, I'm asleep in the tent.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192342\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the key is that the other people I am going with are also going with photography in mind - so we take a little longer getting to where we want to go since we take a few breaks on the way up.

The hard part is getting up for sunrise, sunset is easy
Pages: [1]   Go Up