Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 105-210, autofocus and digital back  (Read 8413 times)

collum

• http://www.jcollum.com
Mamiya 105-210, autofocus and digital back
« on: April 23, 2008, 09:46:17 pm »

Has anyone else seen this, or know a solution?

This has been tried with 2 AFDII bodies, 3 different 105-210 AF lenses, an Aptus 75s back and Mamiya ZD back.

In all of those combinations, the 105-210 might autofocus once or twice, but then fails after that. at the same time the Aperture information also disappears from the camera viewfinder and top lcd (replaced with -- ).

All the contacts have been cleaned. new batteries. All functions work with other lenses on both of these bodies (55-110, 150, 210, 35, 80)... just the 105-210. We tested this out at Keeble and Schucat, with numerous people trying it (to make sure it wasn't user error on my part).

If the digital back is replaced with a film back, the 105-210 works just fine

jim

gmerrell

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:29:25 pm »

This has been tried with 2 AFDII bodies, 3 different 105-210 AF lenses, an Aptus 75s back and Mamiya ZD back.

In all of those combinations, the 105-210 might autofocus once or twice, but then fails after that. at the same time the Aperture information also disappears from the camera viewfinder and top lcd (replaced with -- ).

All the contacts have been cleaned. new batteries. All functions work with other lenses on both of these bodies (55-110, 150, 210, 35, 80)... just the 105-210. We tested this out at Keeble and Schucat, with numerous people trying it (to make sure it wasn't user error on my part).

jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191532\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

gmerrell

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 10:33:11 pm »

jim

I have my 105-210 lens in the repair shop now for the same reasons.  
I am using it on a AFDII with the ZD back.
I haven't tried the film back, but will.
Keep us posted.

GM

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 11:03:23 pm »

I don't know of this is the issue but there is a firmware upgrade for the 645AFDII that is somewhat recent that address some issues with digital backs. Perhaps an e-mail to MAC Group in New York.
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

monobee

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 12:13:58 am »

jim

105-210 needs firmware upgrade to work with AFDII.
I had the same issue.
Just send it to MAC group.
It should be free of charge.

R_Medvid

• http://kadru.net
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 09:47:27 am »

jim

The same thing has happened to me a couple of days ago when I was testing new 75-150. One time focusing fine at 75mm, then at 150mm failing completely with the inability to shoot.

The remedy should be the same?
Roman Medvid
Mamiya AFD / P40+
http://kadru.net

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 10:32:32 am »

Actually, Jim brought that lens to my office yesterday, we mounted it on my camera and it worked perfectly.  We swapped backs, it still worked. The only difference we noted is I use the custom functions and have set the rear thumb button for AF.  So we set Jim's camera up that way, presto it worked fine then with his body/back combo too...  Now here's the really weird part: He set his camera back to stock AF trim assuming the AF wouldn't work again, but the lens still AF'd perfectly...
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

monobee

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 02:12:22 am »

Actually, Jim brought that lens to my office yesterday, we mounted it on my camera and it worked perfectly.  We swapped backs, it still worked. The only difference we noted is I use the custom functions and have set the rear thumb button for AF.  So we set Jim's camera up that way, presto it worked fine then with his body/back combo too...  Now here's the really weird part: He set his camera back to stock AF trim assuming the AF wouldn't work again, but the lens still AF'd perfectly...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192017\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That lens work fine with some AFDII without firmware update.
I am not sure that newer or older AFDIIs have the problem with that lens.
However, I am sure it is the lens, not the AFDII bodies.
MAC group has newer version of the firmware.

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 03:38:51 pm »

I checked with MAC Group on the issue with the 105-210 the other day. I was concerned because I will be using mine on my 645AFDII with a Phase back next week.

My specific question was...

"I have read online that there is a firmware upgrade for this lens to eliminate focus problems with the 645AFDII when used with digital backs. Is this true?

If so I would like to send mine in ASAP, will be using it soon with a back on a few days of shooting. So far I have only used it with film backs and it seems fine."

The answer was...

"There is no such problem with this lens."

As I said before, there is a firmware upgrade for the 645AFDII body that is recent. From what I understand it is supposed to eliminate communication problems with digital backs. So if you are having this problem I really suggest that you check with MAC Group as to what to send in for what.

That is all I know, I have no emotional attachment with this, if you disagree, don't take it up with me. Just passing it on....
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

Xpan Digital

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 05:58:50 pm »

Hi, I´m having the same 105-210 problem (Mamiya AFDII + ZD Back). Have you found a solution for this? Thanks a lot for your answers. AR

PLLove

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:23:52 am »

I had to send mine in for an update before it worked with my AFD II and Leaf Aptus 22.

Not sure what they did, but it works flawlessly now!

It is my most used lens!  LOVE IT!

-Pat

Xpan Digital

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 10:51:28 am »

Quote from: PLLove
I had to send mine in for an update before it worked with my AFD II and Leaf Aptus 22.

Not sure what they did, but it works flawlessly now!

It is my most used lens!  LOVE IT!

-Pat

Thanks Pat, so if I don´t misunderstood you, you had to send only the lens for the update, isn´t it?, so in this case the problem is in the lens not in the AFD II body like someone had suggested.

Thanks a lot again.

AR

marcmccalmont

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 02:23:07 am »

MAC group told me it was an upgraded CPU that was installed in the lens
Marc
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up