Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4880 - now what?  (Read 2583 times)

Tklimek

Epson 4880 - now what?
« on: April 22, 2008, 05:38:05 pm »

Alrighty!

Now I’ve got the Epson 4880 which everyone here really helped with on the decision process…..great….now what?   ;-)

So I guess I’ve got some decisions to make on sizing for printing and matting as well ensuring I understand how this will work.

Ha!  More resolution discussion; and I see there was a whole thread on this topic and was active today.  But I'll throw my own spin in here as well.....

Based on the input from “Camera to Print” video tutorial from Luminous Landscape, Jeff recommends printing in the range of 180 – 480 DPI with *native resolution* (as does Andrew Rodney).  The lesson indicates that if you able to make a print within that range using the captures *native resolution* AND the output sharpening is done correctly, the print can be good (180 DPI requires 24 inch or greater viewing distance).

So; looking at my captures from my Nikon D300 in Photoshop Elements 6, I can see that my captures have an image size of 11.867 (h) x 17.867 (w) at a resolution of 240 pixels/inch.

Based on the lessons from the tutorial, I would like to leave a 1 inch margin on all sides of the actual print.  

The general sizes for roll paper (if trying to obtain maximum size prints) are 16 inch rolls and 17 inch rolls.

So to give me the margins I’m looking for, for the 17 inch width paper, my actual printed surface would be 15 inches high by X wide and for the 16 inch paper my actual printed surface would be 14 inches high by X wide.

To see if I have enough native resolution; I’ve punched in the numbers in the “Resize Image/Constrain Proportions” option (not actually changing the image but just looking to see what it would generate):

15” (h) x 22.584 (w) comes out to 189.867 pixels per inch (this would be for the 17 inch paper)
14” (h) x 21.079 (w) comes out to 203.429 pixels per inch (this would be for the 16 inch paper)

This of course assumes proper crop is obtained in the original capture.

So…..I have figured this correctly thus far?

Another decision that needs to be made (one I’ve seen discussed here before) is….do you go for “standard” frame sizes or let the image size dictate frame size?  

Clearly for workflow and cost effectiveness it would appear to make sense to standardize on a standard frame size.  This means your backing board and mat will always be the same size, and the “cut out” in the mat would be what changes.  During the “Camera to Print” video this appears to be how Michael does his prints.  However, this will create uneven mat borders depending on the image; in the LLVJ 15 Bill Atkinson prefers a 5 inch even mat border around the image; a different approach which may require custom framing sizing.

So, with that in mind I was considering a 22” (h) x 28” (w) frame which would yield the following mat borders ASSUMING image sizes are as listed above:

15 inch high print would have 3.5” (h) and 2.75” (w) as mat borders (I’ll need to subtract a ¼” all around to ensure the mat covers the image)

14 inch high print would have 4” (h) and 3.5” (w) as mat borders (I’ll need to subtract a ¼” all around to ensure the mat covers the image)

Do I have all of this right?  Suggestions and guidance would be welcomed and appreciated.  I’ve got a 22x28 frame coming in today from Americanframe as a visual test.

I'm wondering if that will be enough mat border; I think on prints this size it may be large enough.

Cheers......and let me know your thoughts!

Todd

Farmer

Epson 4880 - now what?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 02:49:01 am »

Yes, you have enough resolution and you have the numbers right.  No need to do any resizing to output to your 4880 in those cases.
Phil Brown

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Epson 4880 - now what?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 01:23:36 pm »

You've mastered the basic ideas, now you just need to experiment.  

One technique I have started using a bit more is to set the DPI I want (I personally shoot for 240) without resampling the image.  This shows me the dimensions of my uncropped image in inches .  Then I select the rectangular marquee tool and pick constrain size from the tool bar.  In the constrain size boxes, I enter the size I want my printout, in inches.  Then when I click in the image, I get a marquee exactly the size of the print I want that I can move around and use to test crops.  I can then get a sense of what cropping or resizing I might want to do with reference to the output proportions and size.  You can also use constrain proportions similarly, but that doesn't prevent you from making a crop that only has 100 DPI or some other unreasonable resolution.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Tklimek

Epson 4880 - now what?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 06:48:51 pm »

Thanks!  That sounds like an idea I'll have to try...and you are absolutely 100% correct about the experimenting... ;-)

Cheers....

Todd

You've mastered the basic ideas, now you just need to experiment. 

One technique I have started using a bit more is to set the DPI I want (I personally shoot for 240) without resampling the image.  This shows me the dimensions of my uncropped image in inches .  Then I select the rectangular marquee tool and pick constrain size from the tool bar.  In the constrain size boxes, I enter the size I want my printout, in inches.  Then when I click in the image, I get a marquee exactly the size of the print I want that I can move around and use to test crops.  I can then get a sense of what cropping or resizing I might want to do with reference to the output proportions and size.  You can also use constrain proportions similarly, but that doesn't prevent you from making a crop that only has 100 DPI or some other unreasonable resolution.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191638\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up