Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorMunki--what's in it for us?  (Read 3108 times)

Photolandscape

ColorMunki--what's in it for us?
« on: April 21, 2008, 11:55:45 pm »

I just heard about ColorMunki today. At first blush, I was all excited and held high hopes that a reasonably-priced, great new tool had come on the market--one that would finally allow me to profile my NEC 2690 AND my Epson 3800 and finally be able to achieve an outstanding match between monitor and print output.

Then, I started reading all the postings here and elsewhere. Lots and lots of software issues. People seem to like the device itself. It not only allows you to profile your monitor, but also profiles your printer, and if you'd like, a projector (not of interest to me). And not insignificantly, it's relatively affordable--another benefit.

But really--other than combining several functions under one program using a single device, is it going to get me what nothing else I've tried over a five year period ever has? I.E., prints that accurately and consistently match my monitor? If it does, great, but I don't get the sense--based on the comments and reviews I've read--that it does so any better than profiling a monitor with the Eye-One (or similar), and using canned paper manufacturer paper profiles or even special custom-made profiles.

Ultimately, all I care about is knowing I can output the same image I see on my monitor on paper. If the ColorMunki is a serious improvement in that regard, then I will get one.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

S. Plattner -- www.pbase.com/photolandscape

francois

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 02:48:02 am »

Edit: deleted, wrong post!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 02:48:54 am by francois »
Francois

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:44:21 am »

IF you have the 2690, drive it using the SpectraView II software and a good colorimeter like the EyeOne Display. You're set.

For printer profiles, are you using lots of non Epson branded papers? Might want to make your own profiles, otherwise, I'd at least try the Epson canned profiles for the 3800, they are quite good. Then you don't need anything more.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Photolandscape

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 12:43:06 pm »

IF you have the 2690, drive it using the SpectraView II software and a good colorimeter like the EyeOne Display. You're set.

For printer profiles, are you using lots of non Epson branded papers? Might want to make your own profiles, otherwise, I'd at least try the Epson canned profiles for the 3800, they are quite good. Then you don't need anything more.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191210\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping beyond reason that somehow ColorMunki might represent a new level of precision and ease of use in profiling both monitors and print output. I am going to have to continue to work to find a way to match my monitor and print output some other way. It does become extremely frustrating after months and months of trying.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 04:04:36 pm »

It does become extremely frustrating after months and months of trying.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191237\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did you read something about CM? If not, I'd recommend "Real World Color Management" - fascinating book. Everything is a lot easier when you understand what you're actually doing.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:06:44 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 05:29:50 am »

Did you read something about CM? If not, I'd recommend "Real World Color Management" - fascinating book. Everything is a lot easier when you understand what you're actually doing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191272\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ditto!
Written by Bruce Fraser and others, it is really helpful - one of its great qualities is explaining simply what is color management, and what it isn't.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: [1]   Go Up