Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Niagera falls & Toronto advice  (Read 7002 times)

Khurram

Niagera falls & Toronto advice
« on: April 21, 2008, 08:37:19 pm »

I've got to make a last minute business trip to Toronto next week and am thinking of heading there early this weekend.  

I'm thinking of also going to Niagera falls.   Every other trip i've made there has always been with family or friends so i never really have attempted to shoot the falls.

I know that this is an overly shot location, but I wanted to get some advice on where to shoot from to get a higher vantage point away from the falls, as well as some advice to shoot in and around the falls as well.  Is it worthwhile to goto the Skylon or Minolta Towers?? Are tripods allowed?

Lastly, regarding the falls, what is the best time to shoot the falls??  Is it worthwhile to try and do sunrise/sunset shoots at the falls or around the falls area (no idea where the sun rises/sets)?

I also wanted to get some advice on good locations for skyline shots in toronto.  I'm going to be staying downtown and won't be able to do any sunrises (damn work tends to get in the way for sunrise), but should be able to do a couple of sunsets.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:43:56 pm by Khurram »
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:01:59 pm »

For Toronto skyline shots, go to the foot of Yonge Street where you will find the ferries going out to the islands. If you shoot from Centre Island, you'll be looking due north during sunset. Go to Ward's Island to shot toward the setting sun. The islands are all connected and there are three ferry routes, one to the middle and one to each end. Ward's Island also features a unique community.

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:20:38 pm »

At Niagara Falls, if you are on the Canadian side facing the falls, the sun would be setting either behind you to your right, or over the right side of the falls. There's a light show that happens just after dark, and the viewing area around the falls tends to completely fill up with people before that happens. I think that is a year-round event. That would make it hard to set up at ground level.

Sorry, I can't tell you about the towers since I have no experience there. My bet is no tripods allowed up the tower. The only hotel with a truly good view is looking from up river a bit, so it would not be so good. At river level, there's the boat ride, but once you get in close, better put your gear away because it'll get drenched.

If you are looking for something really different, you will want to go down into the gorge. Down river a ways is a park called Niagara Glen (I am pretty sure that is what it is called). There, you will find a stair case that descends about three stories, and from there you take trails down to the river. The trails go under boulders and it is very "primeval" feeling. That's a daytime thing, you don't really want to be down there after dark.

Even further down river is another place you can pay to take an elevator down, and walk along side the river. That's if you want to photograph a very powerful river with huge standing waves. (There is an admission fee for that.)

On the American side, you can get right beside the lip of Horseshoe Falls (so close it is scary), and you can also get down directly beside the American Falls.

Hope that helps a bit.

Plekto

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 03:30:27 pm »

Go to The Tower.  Forget your camera, though - it's one of those things that's better on a postcard as far as a picture.  It's really about the experience of being up that high.

Oh - don't take your camera in any shopping center or mall.  Toronto evidently has some law about that and will take your camera away if they catch you even having one on you.

Honestly Toronto is just another big city.  Niagara Falls is far more interesting.

dilip

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 04:59:02 pm »

Oh - don't take your camera in any shopping center or mall.  Toronto evidently has some law about that and will take your camera away if they catch you even having one on you.

Honestly Toronto is just another big city.  Niagara Falls is far more interesting.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191661\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Really?  Can someone else confirm this?  No one has ever taken away my camera. As recently as Easter weekend I didn't have any problem.

And I'll also agree that Toronto is another big city, but I'll do so with the caveat that I think big cities have a lot of charm.  Head over to the Distillery District (due east of downtown) during the early evening to see how the fading light plays off the old distillery and the adjoining buildings.  Head over to Roy Thompson Hall (west side of downtown) shortly after noon to catch the sun reflecting off the curved glass walls.  Go to the observation deck of the CN tower and just enjoy the view (which depending on the day might be a view of smog) and notice how much of the city is forested.  Go back at night and have fun with the lights they've put on the tower itself.  None of that is all that far from downtown.

Toronto has a lot of history and charm, it's just a matter of openning your eyes and finding it (much like any other big city).

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 06:43:20 pm »

Dilip wrote:
Really? Can someone else confirm this? No one has ever taken away my camera. As recently as Easter weekend I didn't have any problem.
I live in the area and have heard this too many times to doubt. I think the idea is that the mall owners want to make a cut on the use of their facility as a photo op or backdrop.

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 08:58:04 pm »

At Niagra, I'd recommend the butterfly conservatory. That's a great place for some fun shots.

Graeme

Khurram

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 07:12:53 am »

I appreciate all of the advice give!

It's been a while since i've been there and man, has that place really gotten a lot busier since i rember.  I figured april wouldn't be as busy as the summer - i can only imagine what it is like in the summer now.  I remember going there years ago and there was metered parking along the road that runs by the falls.

I went back to my hotel just before sunset, so I could watch my Habs lose to the damn flyers.  I should have stayed out there it was an amazing sunset and a lousy hockey game!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 07:14:54 am by Khurram »
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 10:51:30 am »

Oh - don't take your camera in any shopping center or mall.  Toronto evidently has some law about that and will take your camera away if they catch you even having one on you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191661\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not true. The Eaton Centre has a geese sculpture by Michael Snow that is forever being photographed. Rarely do you NOT see someone with a camera taking a photo. The TTC (the subway) don't like people taking photos in it, but there is no problem with the Malls. And if one ddoes take a photo of the subway and you are seen by a transit employee they would only tell you to stop. I can't think of too many photogenic malls, mind you. The Eaton Centre is photogenic. Mall security will NOT confisctae equipment there or at any mall.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 05:11:52 pm »

I've been kicked out of lots of places in Toronto, but never Eaton Centre...
Pages: [1]   Go Up