Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFDB on a Bronica  (Read 44895 times)

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
MFDB on a Bronica
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 06:14:54 pm »

as mentioned above: 2 adapter kits for Bronica SQ-A and ETR-Si are STILL available. Those adapters fit the SB 43 and the SB 54 H.

Best regards,
Thierry

- [edited] Some older Sinarback models apparently supported direct attachment, as already mentioned, but in the used market, I have never seen so far any used Sinarbacks turning up with Bronica mount and I do not know if the adapter kits are still available.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191186\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
MFDB on a Bronica
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 08:27:42 pm »

So what about the comparison of Bronica and Hassy V optics when dealing with digital backs?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191217\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For the benefit of the forum (we discussed this over e-mail), I have not made such a comparison and probably never will - my approach was much more purposeful, that is, I just needed to know how the shots taken with the Bronica lenses print. If they print well, then we're in business. If not, then no. The printer I go to would be able to give his opinion as to how it compares with prints from other MFDBs.

On the face of it, as a comparison between Hassy V lenses - the Bronica lenses are smaller and lighter, feature electronic shutter timing, but the older "S" lenses have an apparently simpler lens coating that does not look as modern as what I can see on Hassy CF lenses. I.e., it does not "look" like a modern multicoat like what you can see on the "PS" series lenses. Other than that if you've executed your shot well, I am quite happy with the sharpness so far.

shutay

MFDB on a Bronica
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 08:31:20 pm »

shutay,
I was wondering what batteries are you using with your Ixpress back. I see in one of your photos a really tall battery. What kind of long duration battery is that? What's the model number?
I'm using a IXpress v90c and I'm finding that the standard battery lasts for about an hour of continuous operation and I was looking for batteries that would last longer.

Thanks,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191293\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
yyapp, it is a Sony InfoLithium NP-F970, 7.2V, 47.5Wh. BTW, I did not specifically order it, it just happens to be what the shop had in stock. I have only just begun logging the battery duration in a log book, so cannot tell you yet how it compares with the smaller one, and on top of that, recently I somehow swapped between the 2 before their charge ran out, so I will have to start the clock again after I recharge them both fully.

shutay

MFDB on a Bronica
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 09:23:23 pm »

Sorry Guys and especially Shutay!
Your post is extremely informative.
Time to go shopping on the Bay for Bronica and the same thing will happen to that as with the Contax 645 prices.

Cheers,
Willem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191296\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No wories mate, no apologies necessary. Actually, I got my complete Bronica SQ setup from Camera Exchange in Melbourne during a visit there to see relatives, as well as a very nice RF645.

To be honest, I think the verdict on using Bronica in the digital age is a mixed bag. Used Bronica systems are so cheap and such good quality it is giving a lot of enthusiasts a low entry point into quality medium format shooting on film. But in many places now, film can be very difficult to work with due to dwindling mainstream interest. I can understand people moving away from Bronicas for certain practical reasons, so it's not so easy to recommend someone to go the Bronica+MFDB route if they asked, "Hey, I want to get into MF digital. Which system should I go for?" Today, my answer would be, "Go get a Mamiya 645 AFD or if your pockets are deeper, an AFD II."

Also, Bronica/Tamron never did the system any good where the digital age was concerned. It's as though they never took digital seriously. Ask anybody today who knew of Bronica and 99% will tell you there are no digtial options for it, even though the current Leaf Aptus S brochure still lists Bronica SQ-A and ETRS as available mounts.

Main show stoppers:
- If it's important to you - pathetic wide angle options, in my view perhaps as bad as if you use a 48x36 sensor on the RZ67. Although I largely live without it at the moment, I do encounter situations where I would like a wider view.
- Limited or no auto exposure options if you use a digital back, as far as I am aware. The AE Prism Finder S you see in my shots above does not have an ISO dial, and the body cannot get ISO information from the back. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can create a cheap, simple, but rather ugly modification to add an ISO dial to your prism...

shutay

MFDB on a Bronica
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 09:33:09 pm »

as mentioned above: 2 adapter kits for Bronica SQ-A and ETR-Si are STILL available. Those adapters fit the SB 43 and the SB 54 H.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191299\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the update Thierry. They should call you the Sinar Mythbuster.

MHFA

MFDB on a Bronica
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 02:36:32 am »

The Munich Bronica Dealer has still a lot of new cameras and lenses, if somebody is looking for it. He also offers a homemade adapter for all digital backs (The local dealer is working at Linhof, so you can be sure that homemade in this case is not bad)

Michael

Justinr

• Ink+images
MFDB on a Bronica
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 04:33:03 am »

FWIW I set out to adapt my Bronicas to a digital back but found that the AFD/ZD solution   actually much the same price as adaption to a used back, it also gave me features that the Bronica never had. I was also buying into a system with a future (touch wood) although the ZD is something less than a Leaf.

Greatly saddened by having to leave my beloved Bronies on the shelf  but that's life I guess, and anyway, I've always been a keen fan of Mamiya since my first C330.  Are there any other bodies or view camera systems that will take the Bronica lens?

Justin.

Justinr

• Ink+images
MFDB on a Bronica
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 04:34:36 am »

The Munich Bronica Dealer has still a lot of new cameras and lenses, if somebody is looking for it. He also offers a homemade adapter for all digital backs (The local dealer is working at Linhof, so you can be sure that homemade in this case is not bad)

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191365\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Has this guy got a website?

Justin.

MHFA

MFDB on a Bronica
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 06:07:47 am »

Has this guy got a website?

Justin.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"http://www.service-bronica.de/angebote.html]http://www.service-bronica.de/angebote.html[/url]

But it is not easy to contact him per Mail..

Michael

Cfranson

MFDB on a Bronica
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 12:23:12 pm »

Steve and I are both authorized Sinar dealers in the US. We had received word that the 54H was discontinued. Our rep is working to confirm the correct information.
EDIT: the Sinarback 54H is indeed no longer available new from Sinar though there are refurbished units available at a reduced price.

NO, Chris, the SB 54 H is DEFINITIVELY NOT discontinued:

Actually the price has been reduced very recently.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191298\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:53:48 pm by Cfranson »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up